• Skyrim
    • CoD: Modern Warfare 3
    • inFamous 2
    • RAGE
    • L.A. Noire
    • Xenoblade Chronicles
    • Other: Specify in post
    • Portal 2

why didn't you even put Portal 2 in the poll????

it was one of the best damn games of the year, valve really excelled themselves on it and punched out a full-on gaming experience, plus a whole new co-op puzzle solving extravaganza the likes which have never been seen before.

why didn't you even put Portal 2 in the poll????

it was one of the best damn games of the year, valve really excelled themselves on it and punched out a full-on gaming experience, plus a whole new co-op puzzle solving extravaganza the likes which have never been seen before.

Because I forgot!!!! Jesus, calm down.

Triple AAA titles like BF3 doesn't feel right to be mentioned as GOTY anymore.

For the multiplayer alone BF3 is worth a mention but I hear what you're saying. I threw up in my mouth a little when I was typing CoD: Modern Warfare 3 into the poll, partly because it was such a shit game and partly because of the total lack of effort that seemed to go into the multiplayer which is all that franchise is about imo.

Well, each of the above games have their own merits on their claim for GOTY. But there are some obvious things about some of them such as the infinite bugs in Skyrim, the Battlefield 3 and Origin teething problems, MW3 being a MW2 clone etc.

I can only say that the GOTY for me is a game that definitely went above and beyond what I expected from a game. There are only 2 games that did this and those two were Portal 2 and Saints Row: The Third. But as a single game, Portal 2 gets my nod definitely.

Skyrim and BF3 play perfectly on the Xbox though ;)

Believe it or not, its a buggier mess on console than it is PC, just fyi.

For the record, it plays perfectly on PC for me, but that doesn't mean it will for everyone and because some people have issues, doesn't make it a buggy mess, no more than the console version is a buggy mess anyway, what with constant corruption in the installed files, disappearing weapons, games that cease to function after x amount of time, xbox 360s scratching bf3 discs (I noticed a trend in this) and the myriad of other problems on 360 and PS3.

Skyrm is the same, it might play okay without the engine bugs the pc version suffered from, but the console version still had most of the bugs that the PC version had, including things like save game slow downs on ps3, missing textures on 360, poor framerates, the same broken quests that break the game etc. etc. etc.

sorry but I don't believe it.

Well, each of the above games have their own merits on their claim for GOTY. But there are some obvious things about some of them such as the infinite bugs in Skyrim, the Battlefield 3 and Origin teething problems, MW3 being a MW2 clone etc.

I can only say that the GOTY for me is a game that definitely went above and beyond what I expected from a game. There are only 2 games that did this and those two were Portal 2 and Saints Row: The Third. But as a single game, Portal 2 gets my nod definitely.

Skyrim and BF3 play perfectly on the Xbox though ;)

Believe it or not, its a buggier mess on console than it is PC, just fyi.

For the record, it plays perfectly on PC for me, but that doesn't mean it will for everyone and because some people have issues, doesn't make it a buggy mess, no more than the console version is a buggy mess anyway, what with constant corruption in the installed files, disappearing weapons, games that cease to function after x amount of time, xbox 360s scratching bf3 discs (I noticed a trend in this) and the myriad of other problems on 360 and PS3.

Skyrm is the same, it might play okay without the engine bugs the pc version suffered from, but the console version still had most of the bugs that the PC version had, including things like save game slow downs on ps3, missing textures on 360, poor framerates, the same broken quests that break the game etc. etc. etc.

sorry but I don't believe it.

I can assure you that BF3 is having far more problems on console atm than pc. I work in the support industry. As for Skyrim, from what I read the texture cache issue on 360 and the save game bug on ps3 are both system wide.

I have to go with Portal 2, which was just so unexpectedly HUGER and better than I ever expected in a sequel.

BF3 is second for me. (I haven't played Skyrim.)

Edited by Virtuoso

Diso I wish you didn't put the exclamation marks on Portal 2, it's a menial complaint but showing preference in the poll tarnishes the neutrality of what it should be.

I chose LA Noire for my GOTY, in terms of writing and technology it's as

close as a game has gotten to the movies. Intelligent is how I would describe it.

Skyrim is satisfying but it's still janky and shallow, 90% of quests are fetch quests, people behave like corpses in their own little world, some of the art direction and all the ambient lighting ruins the aesthetic for me and I don't think the writing is that good.

I remember listening to a lady who said she didn't want to get married because she wanted to focus on her daughter, but this isn't the 21st century, this is a primeval primitive world where people would live rough and desperately, there's no tension in the world, conflicts seem out of touch and convenient.

There was a discussion about the bugginess of Skyrim? Scripting problems affect all versions, the X360 version has been relatively solid, the streaming bug when installed didn't make the game less enjoyable, the PS3 version though seemed to get a real beating.

Edited by King_TriTAN

Deus Ex HR for me. I played through it 3 times in a row - I finished it then started a new game. I haven't done that in any games for a very long time.

Skyrim is satisfying but it's still janky and shallow, 90% of quests are fetch quests, people behave like corpses in their own little world, some of the art direction and all the ambient lighting ruins the aesthetic for me and I don't think the writing is that good.

I definitely agree with this. I put about 15 hours or so into it and I just don't feel like playing it any more. You can tell that they tried so hard to make the dragons all 'epic' but it really just doesn't do it for me.

Morrowind is still best in that series for me.

Portal 2 for me. Deus Ex 3 an extremely close second.

Skyrim is extremely overrated. It's polished, pretty, and lengthy, everything you expect from a Bethesda RPG, but nothing more.

Portal 2 for me. Deus Ex 3 an extremely close second.

Skyrim is extremely overrated. It's polished, pretty, and lengthy, everything you expect from a Bethesda RPG, but nothing more.

I'd go as far as to say that isn't pretty, but it has its moments and bethesda using any other engine could make the most spectacular looking game around, but the gamebryo engine is a piece of shit.

Morrowind is still best in that series for me.

Hoping the Morrowind mod for Oblivion gets ported to the Skyrim engine and actually finished, would be so epic.

You can tell that they tried so hard to make the dragons all 'epic' but it really just doesn't do it for me.

yea I kind of just lol'd when I was taking dragons down with my 600 damage bow in 1 shot and alduin down with like 3 shots, even ancient dragons ended up being squashed like bugs and they couldn't hurt me through 1700points of armor lol

(I kind of broke my game though using the ogmha infinium exploit to level everything up to 100 and making armorer potions that let you repair weapons to 145% better :S)

I want to get back into skyrim, but as it stands (and after hearing your stories of the higher level stuff) it sounds like it will have the same old problems for me that Oblivion had.

Diso I wish you didn't put the exclamation marks on Portal 2, it's a menial complaint but showing preference in the poll tarnishes the neutrality of what it should be.

Fixed. BTW, I wasn't showing preference, the caps and exclamations were for whoever it was that had a hissy fit when I forgot it the first time round. I personally wouldn't choose Portal2 for GOTY. I absolutely loved it, defiantly in my top 3 for the year. The story and humor were fantastic but the puzzles were way too easy and it was once again very short.

Fixed. BTW, I wasn't showing preference, the caps and exclamations were for whoever it was that had a hissy fit when I forgot it the first time round. I personally wouldn't choose Portal2 for GOTY. I absolutely loved it, defiantly in my top 3 for the year. The story and humor were fantastic but the puzzles were way too easy and it was once again very short.

May I ask who it was defying?

(that was me that had a "hissy fit" when I asked why portal 2 wasn't on the poll)

Edited by NukeJockey

smadge1's multiple question marks were a clear sign of a hissy fit. :P

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to calm down, smadge1.

I put Portal 2 in caps mith multiple exclamation points to counter the multiple question marks.

I want to get back into skyrim, but as it stands (and after hearing your stories of the higher level stuff) it sounds like it will have the same old problems for me that Oblivion had.

apparently theres a mod for PC which gives shitloads more health and damage capacity to the dragons, obviously its one of the limitations on the 360 is no mods like that :( Edited by nesquick

apparently theres a mod for PC which gives shitloads more health and damage capacity to the dragons, obviously its one of the limitations on the 360 is no mods like that :(

Yeah it might be worth a try, I'm thinking I could probably get into it with just a character change, maybe go from magic/1h to something a bit more centred, like focus on 2h and heavy armour and blacksmithing and nothing else for a bit, so i can start smashing shit. What annoys me the most is the scaled items, I really wish it was possible to get Daedric armour at the start of the game if you were ballsy enough, maybe thats what I will do when I learn a bit about the mod tools, make a mod that puts different armour sets and weapon sets around skyrim, trapped behind puzzles and that sorta shit, could be kinda cool.

Edited by NukeJockey

apparently theres a mod for PC which gives shitloads more health and damage capacity to the dragons, obviously its one of the limitations on the 360 is no mods like that :(

Yeah it might be worth a try, I'm thinking I could probably get into it with just a character change, maybe go from magic/1h to something a bit more centred, like focus on 2h and heavy armour and blacksmithing and nothing else for a bit, so i can start smashing shit. What annoys me the most is the scaled items, I really wish it was possible to get Daedric armour at the start of the game if you were ballsy enough, maybe thats what I will do when I learn a bit about the mod tools, make a mod that puts different armour sets and weapon sets around skyrim, trapped behind puzzles and that sorta shit, could be kinda cool.

the damage figures I told you about was for ancient nord armor (frostmyr crypt), daedric would probably have been more like 1800-1900

I just used the same armor for like 95% of the game cause it looks hot if you use a female character, theres a mine somewhere near riften you can mine a fair bit of ebony and find daedric hearts at the companions hall thing so if you really wanted to you could make daedric armor at like level 9 but then if you only level up armor and nothing else you get owned in comabt.

Edited by nesquick