dylan6307

questions about intel and amd

It's the age old debate; AMD or Intel?

I used to quite like the amd cpus, and I have been thinking about building a new pc (~$ 800 / 900 so not some huge 8 core 5 ghz beast) for a while, but recently all the new amd cpus are confusing, what with this inbuilt graphics crap. So I have been looking at the intels, and found out that they have stupid inbuilt graphics as well! now I dont really want to get one that has that, since I dont want to pay for something that I dont use (since I'm obviously going to use a separate gpu)

So I have a few questions:

1. Do amd or intel still sell enthusiast chips that dont have inbuilt graphics

2. why is intel so much more expensive for what seems like the same thing, at a slightly lower clock speed

I also think that the intel 1366 chipset looks ok, quite powerful and no inbuilt graphics, but they seem to have disappeared (at least from pc case gear, and all but one from msy [but they dont sell the mother boards])

so 3. is it worth it, and should I look around, for a 1366 cpu/motherboard?

thanks

Yes, but they're out of your price range.

2. why is intel so much more expensive for what seems like the same thing, at a slightly lower clock speed

Because clock rate has very little to do with the performance of the chip. Intel's chips are currently more powerful than AMDs offerings.

I also think that the intel 1366 chipset looks ok, quite powerful and no inbuilt graphics, but they seem to have disappeared (at least from pc case gear, and all but one from msy [but they dont sell the mother boards])

Absolutely not, they've been superceded by Sandy Bridge and soon Ivy Bridge processors.

If I were you I'd look at a system based around the i5 2500K.

I used to quite like the amd cpus, and I have been thinking about building a new pc (~$ 800 / 900 so not some huge 8 core 5 ghz beast) for a while, but recently all the new amd cpus are confusing, what with this inbuilt graphics crap. So I have been looking at the intels, and found out that they have stupid inbuilt graphics as well! now I dont really want to get one that has that, since I dont want to pay for something that I dont use (since I'm obviously going to use a separate gpu)

thanks

have you read any reviews on the Sandy bridge chips at all? or did you just come on here to post some mad rambling along the lines of "hur dur inbuilt graphics makes it shit derp"

integration of components into one package is the future of each company so deal with it.

thanks

have you read any reviews on the Sandy bridge chips at all? or did you just come on here to post some mad rambling along the lines of "hur dur inbuilt graphics makes it shit derp"

integration of components into one package is the future of each company so deal with it.

It's not that I'm complaining that they're shit, its just that it makes them more expensive when many people wont use them. there should be more models without it, because if people are paying for something that they wont use...

no it makes it more expensive for consumers when Intel and AMD have to spin off 2 different designs.

just buy a 2500k and be done with it.

Edited by nesquick

no it makes it more expensive for consumers when Intel and AMD have to spin off 2 different designs.

just buy a 2500k and be done with it.

why the k version?

I'd also like to point out the fact of redundancy to the OP of getting a Z68 board and 2500k, should your graphics card ever need to go for RMA then you don't have a 20kg paper weight, you can just plug your dvi/hdmi cable into the motherboard and still play games on lowish settings, the HD3000 GPU on the 2500k gets like 5000 points on 3dmark 06 so its not to bad should you ever need it.

Yeah certainly handy.

In a way it's like me whining about paying for cuda gpgpu capabilities in my gtx480s because I don't use that function

AMD FX Series...

as for intel

sandybridge-e

socket lga 2011

chipset x79 ~$300-500

cpu i7 3930k ~$700-1300

they cost more than the models with integrated gpu and dont offer much more in return for a gaming build

but ive heard (im not really sure) that some games are more cpu intensive.

but those intels are way out of my price range like .:Cyb3rGlitch:. said.

however, amd fx series, are they just like what the phenom ii was (kindof?)

Just get the 2500K, forget about the internal GPU, pretend it doesn't exist.

yep do this

despite the igp the 2500k is much quicker and cooler in games it simply is the best value cpu for gaming by a long way

Edited by Dasa

but ive heard (im not really sure) that some games are more cpu intensive.

but those intels are way out of my price range like .:Cyb3rGlitch:. said.

however, amd fx series, are they just like what the phenom ii was (kindof?)

Windows/existing programs are poorly optimized for the FX chip, just get the 2500k like I said and overclock the shit out of it.

Clock for clock Intel can do more processing than AMD, Looking up Cinebench Single Threaded benchmarks for AMD and its disappointing, the gap between Intel and AMD is enormous and this is the clock for clock part I mean and some older AMD generations can beat their new ones at relatively the same clocks. However look up Cinebench Multithreaded benchmarks as well and it seems decent enough to go with AMD.

The i5 2500k will serve you great, the i7's are more video editing and rendering cpu's, little to no improvement in gaming.

i5 2500k VS AMD 8120

Also Integrated GPU's are commonplace now, and when I bricked my old 5850, the onboard GPU (which can be OC'd) kept me loving my game of choice Trackmania United playing at 1080p with only slightly reduced details and no AA, but its powerful enough to use.

Edited by drawesome