Sign in to follow this  
PointZeroOne

PC - Alan Wake

So can't actually read any of these since I'm at work, but by the sounds of it, it's coming next month.

Not really, I'm not sure how many ppl would buy it after how they ditched it from PC to XBOX 360 only.

Looked fun from looking at the "Let's Play" youtube clip. But its an old game (2 years ago), so if they are selling for full price I rather not get it.

Yeah release is next month.

They're ditching GFWL (must not be publishing under MS - tbh would have thought MS owned the IP) and going with steam works.

The system specs have dropped since those originally released back in 2005, although Remedy state that is because they want the game to work on Windows XP aswell, they still reckon it will need top of the line hardware to run at full settings.

I'll throw my system at it in a month and see how it goes :)

I have alot of respect for Remedy since they made Max Payne 1 & 2, but tbh, 2 years is too late, so I'm not going to bother.

I am really interested in this game - i started watching video walkthroughs on youtube (it may spoil some of the game but it gives you a great idea of whether or not you'll like iit) when it was announced that it was coming to PC and got addicted to the story and had to stop my self from watching it all so I could enjoy playing the game. So definitely one I'm keeping my eye on and if its close to a $40 or less launch I'll buy it.

Nice one, I was keen for this until PC support was dropped. Might wind up getting it after all.

I was even thinking that porting Alan Wake to PC is not possible. It was in 2010 when Microsoft said that some games are just not suited for PC so the company discouraged the idea of bringing this game to PC.

This news tells like wise: http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/read.php/5060145

I'm not sure if Remedy Entertainment could retain the properties of Alan Wake on Xbox 360 since they were even the ones who said that this game may look ugly on PC. But it's worth waiting for, though.

I've played this game on Xbox 360 and I can still remember how great the game was. The story is just so good and lengthy that you'll surely be wanting for more.

Basically, Alan Wake made an impression, a great one, and it's a challenge for the developers to meet those expectations, or else this game will be ditched.

I really didn't like that game. I was looking forward to it for about 5 years and when it came out, it was a bit of a disappoint. :-(

Played through it on the weekend it was launched (or soon thereafter), along with finishing Red Dead Redemption in the same weekend, great game, wanted to go back for the DLC, but I'd like to see what the PC version looks like considering I thought it was one of the best looking games on Xbox 360 when I played it.

I was even thinking that porting Alan Wake to PC is not possible. It was in 2010 when Microsoft said that some games are just not suited for PC so the company discouraged the idea of bringing this game to PC.

This news tells like wise: http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/read.php/5060145

I'm not sure if Remedy Entertainment could retain the properties of Alan Wake on Xbox 360 since they were even the ones who said that this game may look ugly on PC. But it's worth waiting for, though.

I'm 98% certain that every time a developer says this its essentially hogwash. Especially since the early tech demos of AlanWake looked GREAT on pc, arguably better then it did look on xbox. Microsoft were just trying to make sure people didn't whinge about making it their xbox exclusive. Its like how lucasarts said that The Force Unleashed couldn't be done on pcs because they just weren't powerful enough. I think we all know just how much more powerful pcs are then consoles - frankly I'm amazed, and seriously annoyed, that the consoles have lasted this long without an upgrade because the games are still pretty good looking but now in order to keep the aesthetics they are having to damage other parts of the game in order for it to run smoothly.

Tech Specs for the 360:

Xenon triple-core 64-bit PowerPC @3.2 GHz – 65nanometer

Ati Xenos – core R500 – GPU@500mhz - 10mb daughter die eDRAM to help with AA – 512mb of GDDR 3 that is shared by the GPU and CPU – 90nanometer

I think almost everyone on the forum has a pc more powerful especially when you consider the more powerful tools in the new DX revision. Its just developers not having the time to develop is across 3 platforms simultaneously or companies paying for exclusives in order to sell more units.

Played through it on the weekend it was launched (or soon thereafter), along with finishing Red Dead Redemption in the same weekend, great game, wanted to go back for the DLC, but I'd like to see what the PC version looks like considering I thought it was one of the best looking games on Xbox 360 when I played it.

Now Red Read Redemption, thats a game I would LOVE to have on the PC. I really would :(.

I understand that this is a wee bit of a bump but I thought that those interested in this thread would like to know.

Release date is Feb 16 on steam for about $30, sans games for windows live (yay) and here is a graphical comparison

http://www.ikogamer.com/2012/02/08/alan-wa...cal-comparison/

the differences aren't subtle if this shot is true and it certainly looks like they are delivering on their quad core and graphics optimisations for the pc version

Edited by UberPenguin

lol @ the comparison, looks like they got a low res 360 pic, blew it up to the same res as a pc pic, then cut them together and called it a comparison :P

Higher res stuff is always going to look better, but I dont remember grass sprites and water textures looking that blurry on 360 :)

According to the sources (where ever that comparison is posted) around the net that pic was given out by a member of the dev team to increase the hype around the pc version.

I mean take it with a grain of salt but I've seen worse textures on 360 games.

Yeah, I'll definitely be grabbing this for $30.

Lol @ that comparison - don't believe it looked like that on the 360 :P

Looking forward to it :)

Its out on steam now, game looks amazing, SLI isn't working in it though, so my framerates are average at best.

With SSAO off, FXAA off and AA on 2x the rest on max, i was pulling 40-50fps. Really need SLI to work :D

With the above options on high, it was 30fps.

Edited by NukeJockey

Just bought it, and downloading now. Will be good to see how it performs on my new rig :D

Price is good too! Can't complain about getting a new release game for $30!

Make sure you update your drivers and CF profiles, Awake doesn't work with crossfire or SLI natively, ATI have released a hotfix or profile or something that gives it 60-75% increase performance when using 2 or more cards. Nvidia haven't released anything yet, hopefully they add it in their new drivers, still haven't released new WHQL drivers since October...

just pre ordered the boxed collectors edition off ozgameshop, have to wait a bit to play the game but can't complain about the $37 price point!

Yeah extra $7 for a hard copy aint bad, its only $30 on steam though.