cohmoddersolo

What game genre hog what computer part

Hi all,

Im really curious on this one or if such thing really exist. What game genre hog specific computer part or parts? If Im not mistaken, an RTS game hogs both CPU and graphics card a lot where as an FPS hogs the graphics card more than the CPU as an FPS does not have as much AI or bots as an RTS. What would be the case with other genre's like racing and RPG?

I'm not sure about genre, but different engines "hog" more of different resources, understandably. I'm not really sure about racing, as they often have quite specific physics engines, and I dont know where that would go (gpu/cpu) but I think rpg, depending on graphics quality and options of course, might take up both, because while the gpu will do graphics, the cpu will manage in game variables and options, of which rpgs often have many.

this is just me assuming though, I'm not exactly an expert in games dev or anything ;)

more often than not 3d shooters are more gpu limited than cpu but there is plenty of exceptions

one example is arma2 has massive expansive land and a great deal of ai to manage so it really struggles for cpu but is also fairly heavy on the gpu

top down games (so most strategy games) seem to more cpu intensive on average

It depends on the game and the engine, not the genre.

but would it not be true that certain genres can use more similar engines, ie many shooters use the unreal engine, or modifications of it

Racing games hog controllers.. :p Wheel and Pedals or GTFO