Sign in to follow this  
Periander

Red Dead Redemption PC/Steam

Recently I took advantage of Steam sales to purchase the full GTA pack in preparation for GTA V.

Initially I was mainly playing the GTA IV expansions, because I actually hadn't played them before. Apart from the GFWL bullshit, it blows me away just how much better they are than the original GTA IV on PS3. Playing GTA with a mouse and keyboard just 'feels right'. After that, I also downloaded and fired up GTA III, and relived the glory days of that too, (that really was blow away stuff when it first came out), and again I was super impressed.

For half a second, I even considering purchasing L.A. Noire on Steam too, even though I own it on PS3 and it's a bit hit-and-miss, just to give it another chance; and then I realised, I must have Red Dead Redemption on Steam. Sure, I have it on PS3 too, but I must have that on my preferred platform, that will last the ages via digital medium, so that my kids can play it, (and lets face it, Steam is so awesome that I'm prepared to back it to last much longer than support/availability for the PS3).

Search Steam store, what gives, no Red Dead? A few seconds on google and my worst nightmare is realised; Rockstar have pretty much emphatically denied the possibility of it ever being released on PC. What gives?

Red Dead Redemption was one of those games that just ticked all of the boxes. Good graphics, intuitive controls and interface, seamless voice acting, and most of all, (and most often lacking in games), a truly engrossing story.

Basically, I think we should try and encourage discussion about it, and also to petition Rockstar. What do you guys think about this travesty?

I'm sure they had their reasons for not doing it, if it isn't done by now, you won't ever see it though.

IMO it was all the whinging and "Fuck rockstar" bullshit going on with the bad pc port that GTA4 was that tipped the scales, a shame, but something I doubt there is a whole lot we can do about.

It's hard to get an educated opinion without knowing the sales of Rockstar games and the development story of RDR, from what I understand it took five years to get that game done and they had to invent certain technologies to create the vast draw distances in that game.

It wouldn't surprise me if a bad attitude from the community deterred a PC release, gamers can be repulsive self centered lot

Edited by King_TriTAN

Hmm Id love to own it on PC too... maybe one day, Ill sign a petition or whatever if its presented. But as I own it on the xbox not a hassle for me really.

Do video shops still exist? and if so do they still rent out Xboxes and the like?

The game is totally worth telling the family/girlfriend/boyfriend to fuck right off for a weekend and going the above route.

Edited by TheMojorising

Hmm Id love to own it on PC too... maybe one day, Ill sign a petition or whatever if its presented. But as I own it on the xbox not a hassle for me really.

Do video shops still exist? and if so do they still rent out Xboxes and the like?

The game is totally worth telling the family/girlfriend/boyfriend to fuck right off for a weekend and going the above route.

I see your point but:

1. Obviously my PS3 will die at some point, and I will more than likely lose the disk.

2. They don't rent out PS1s any more, (i.e., the PS3 will be an old console one day).

3. There probably won't be any video stores in 10+ years time.

Edited by Periander

IMO it was all the whinging and "Fuck rockstar" bullshit going on with the bad pc port that GTA4 was that tipped the scales, a shame, but something I doubt there is a whole lot we can do about.

And people are still saying the same thing every time GTA IV is mentioned...

I used their 'Mouthoff' form on their website to voice my opinion, and this was the response:

Hey Periander,

Thank you for your email. There are no plans to bring Red Dead Redemption to the PC platform. We appreciate you taking the time to write us.

Cheers,

Rockstar Games

Pretty to the point; guessing they've had to answer that one half a million times. It'd take one hell of a mod using an equivalent engine and extremely enthusiastic unpaid devs, but I'm guessing that might be the only way we see it on PC.

Again, FTR, the GTA IV expansions I've been playing on PC are fantastic, so much better than GTA IV on PS3 in my opinion; so nothing to complain about there from me!

Edited by Periander

Just wait until the next version of Icenhancer is released. (Google it)

Then you will cream your pants.