Sign in to follow this  
G-relk

[Build Log] My main PC

looks awesome dude. has really come together well. can't wait to see it in operation.

the tube run is ideal, nothing too long. could possibly benefit from some 45's in some places, but nothing looks tight enough to need them though.

what kind of water/coolant are you going with? Also FYI you probably only need 1 of those crossfire bridges.

now off to write a mini update on my log.

I have one 45 degree adapter left over from my old loop, but it's a bitspower, and the thread on it is way too short for the XSPC barbs, so I'm not using it now. The 90 degree EK fittings are a better fit for my loop anyway, especially on the 360 rad where there is piss all room.

I'm using PrimoChill EC6 coolant. Still got plenty left from my previous loop, and it's red coloured to boot :D

I know about only needing one bridge, but my inner OCD demands that both must be connected :P :P

nice mate, howd you find the xspc waterblocks for your cards?

They were listed on gammods. They were really cheap compared to the other full cover blocks, plus they reviewed pretty well so I went with them. They aren't nickel plated like a lot of blocks these days either, which after seeing all the problems with the plating on EK blocks, is a good thing in my books.

For memory they were about $95 each.

They were listed on gammods. They were really cheap compared to the other full cover blocks, plus they reviewed pretty well so I went with them. They aren't nickel plated like a lot of blocks these days either, which after seeing all the problems with the plating on EK blocks, is a good thing in my books.

yea seen them a few times and herd they were decent, so much cheaper than other options.

everytime ive gone to order them they've been out of stock and I didnt feel like waiting!

any noticeable bowing of the cards?

also that motheroard looks damn nice, can the mesh covers over the mosfets come off? Im stil tossing up a 3 way board!

I am thinking of moving to a 7970 now tho..

yea seen them a few times and herd they were decent, so much cheaper than other options.

everytime ive gone to order them they've been out of stock and I didnt feel like waiting!

any noticeable bowing of the cards?

also that motheroard looks damn nice, can the mesh covers over the mosfets come off? Im stil tossing up a 3 way board!

I am thinking of moving to a 7970 now tho..

They can screw off, but I preferred them on.

No bowing of the cards that I can see. The weight of the block is pretty much balanced over the PCIe slot anyway.

2 x 6970's will outperform a single 7970 FWIW. Your better off going triple and watercool if you want to go up in terms of performance

did you ever have any issues with the red dye in your cooling breaking down in the blocks? have you checked since you drained it? i've heard good things about it but i'd still be worried.

2 x 6970's will outperform a single 7970 FWIW. Your better off going triple and watercool if you want to go up in terms of performance

once you start overclocking, this gap narrows to ~15% at most. the option to add a second or third 7970 would be a bit more future proof, once the price drops of course. Edited by p0is0n

Didn't notice anything at all really. The only thing it did was get into the threads for one of the fittings on the reservoir and stain it red. No other side-effects to my knowledge, though I only had it in their for a couple of months at most.

Didn't notice anything at all really. The only thing it did was get into the threads for one of the fittings on the reservoir and stain it red. No other side-effects to my knowledge, though I only had it in their for a couple of months at most.

i actually read a few reviews where they've tried boiling it on the stove and stuff to measure dye separation and this stuff came up perfect. maybe other companies are using cheaper dyes or something :(

Quite possibly? When I bought it, it was on the back of all the positive reviews I read. Otherwise I would have gone with something else....

More than likely the EK stuff you used in your loop is just shit :P

Agreed. Don't know why I still have the bottles sitting around, like it may still serve some purpose...

Agreed. Don't know why I still have the bottles sitting around, like it may still serve some purpose...

Food dye?? :P :P :P

Maybe super soaker ammunition?

*ahem* back on topic.

Maybe super soaker ammunition?

*ahem* back on topic.

GOLD!!!!

Very nice build log so far!

nice work!

Thanks man! Edited by G-relk

How to almost ruin one computer:

1: Acquire one 1/2" barb with flattened O-ring

2: Attach barb to 90 angle adapter that has a thread JUST long enough for a barb with an OK O-ring

3: Start filling water-cooling without checking for any leaks until 1ltr of coloured coolant is in loop (I used blood red coolant FWIW)

4: Locate problem with faulty O-ring when your desk is covered in a large pool of coolant, and your case is dripping from the side panel

5: ???

6: Profit!

Bonus points if you also ruin one of your favourite shirts, a pair of brand-new white shorts you haven't even worn before, and your copy of XKCD volume 0

EXTRA bonus points if you then trust the three other identical 90 degree fittings in your case, and spring another small leak on top of your DVD drive....

So yeah, my afternoon was fucked, how was yours? >:(

Damn that sucks dude, sorry to hear it. Did you end up getting it going after all that?

Not quite yet.

My GPU blocks came with some G1/4" extenders, so I have put one of those on each of the problematic EK 90° angle fittings to stop them from leaking (and so far so good). Tonight I will re-install the PSU, re-do the cabling, and maybe start to fill the loop if I get time.

Realistically, I will probably get it all done tomorrow when i have all day to fuck around with it all.....

Good luck with it. I recommend abundant paper towels so if there is even a tiny leak anywhere, it will become very obvious very quickly, especially with blood red :) It can be a bit hard to see otherwise. I managed to keep my case fairly dry, but got a big squirt of blood red all over the walls filling my loop previously. Turned on the pump without closing my tap :/

Yeah, I've certainly learned my lesson....

I did that too, I overfilled the funnel, turned the pump on to suck it out, and a big squirt of coolant landed on my desk, wet my mouse and keyboard a bit, and splashed my brand new, never worn before white shorts....

Yeah, I've certainly learned my lesson....

I did that too, I overfilled the funnel, turned the pump on to suck it out, and a big squirt of coolant landed on my desk, wet my mouse and keyboard a bit, and splashed my brand new, never worn before white shorts....

*insert joke about blood red stain on mens shorts*

IT WORKS! :D

Got the cabling behind the motherboard neatened up a bit, filled the loop, and it seals fine :D

Will install OS etc tomorrow, as well as take some decent photos :D