Sign in to follow this  
UberPenguin

xbox 720 specs

So apparantly the xbox 720 will be using the dissapointing 6670 graphics chip and coming to stores october/november next year. Which as a maximising profits move sounds great - old architecture is cheap and they can make almost pure profit out of it. But it seems to me like they could do a better system with a Trinity based APU or even a mid 7 series card.

One things for sure - if this report is anywhere near accurate they aren't going to incorperate bleeding edge tech like the last release of consoles but more importantly it seems that we have another year of DirectX 9c based games ahead of us..........

Maybe the lower spec hardware is designed to lower prices and increase the console release rate?

Just to sum up the article - the xbox 720 will be six times more powerful then the xbox 360 (and still not a scratch on the last 2 years gaming computers)

http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox...-as-current-gen

Xbox 720? 720? Come on if they're not gonna be at least a little more original with the next gen console's name, you might as well just call it Xbox Chicken Soup.

Its a shame that a given a machine's primary use is gaming, it'll have a GPU that's so low end and from the last generation.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

I don't know where this 6670 rumour started but I am 100% sure it it false.

Considering 6670's were almost exactly the same as 5770's, also when has an xbox ever had a mid range GPU at launch?

"our sources have confirmed that mass production of the system's GPU will indeed begin by the end of 2012 but will not, however, be based on AMD's 7000 series Southern Islands GPU. Instead, the processor will be derived from the 6000 series, which was introduced last year. More specifically, it will be akin to the Radeon HD 6670"

I mean as any pre-release information it should be taken with a grain of salt but they also use akin - i.e. like a 6670 but with features that they take from the 7 series? thats what they did for the previous GPU in the xbox

@Mr.Twinkie 720 is just the name everyone is giving it I dont think microsoft has confirmed the name

so far we have three names for it

xbox 720

xbox loop

xbox next

the other popular rumour going around is that its a gcn hd7000 gpu built into the same chip as a ibm power pc 6 core cpu and they have just started production of dev consoles with them at gf

there is also suggestions that it will be a dual gpu system

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...s-in-production

there is also talk that it will use bluray and that you wont be able to use secondhand games

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...Play-Used-Games

The 6670 is believable, especially if reports that it is 20% faster than the wii u are to be believed, then we should see this generations games in 1080p (any direct x 9 game that launches the console using an older 360 based engine) and probably next gen dx11 titles in 720p~ which is what they'll aim for, DX11 is pretty forgiving compared to DX9 in alot of ways and if they manage to get their OS running with a very low overhead (ie. atleast as low the as the PS3) then we should see some decent looking titles and improvements on pc titles.

I don't think it'll be a 6670 at all. Consoles don't use off the shelf components, it'll be a custom made GPU from AMD like last time. It may be equivalent to a 6670 performance wise, but I'd be really surprised if they didn't go 28nm, especially after the warping issues of last generation.

well if there is any truth to the rumours it may be 32nm at gf

Considering 6670's were almost exactly the same as 5770's, also when has an xbox ever had a mid range GPU at launch?

HD 6670 is nowhere near a HD 5770. Has like half the processing power

Xbox 720? 720? Come on if they're not gonna be at least a little more original with the next gen console's name, you might as well just call it Xbox Chicken Soup.

im almost 98% sure it wont be called the 720

the 720 is just a code name for the project.

i swear i heard they had copyrighted the name xbox nexus.

will be disapointing if they go for a 6670 but also remember its dedicated graphics and this is a just a rumour and early times.

i would be expecting 3D compatability and Blu-ray out of this generation that is if they wanna keep up with the PS3.

im hoping they pull out some random really inovative tech that we havent seen before.

HD 6670 is nowhere near a HD 5770. Has like half the processing power

Oh ya, I confused it with the 6770 for some reason..

Guys if you do some reading around everything seems to suggest a GPU on the level of a HD7850 (HD6950 with die shrink)

hey nesquick can you link those ariticles? all I have found is maybe entry 7xxx not 7850

Just for reference the only reason I care is because its holding back pc game dev.

Edited by UberPenguin

Just for reference the only reason I care is because its holding back pc game dev.

yer any less than 4g memory and we will probably be stuck with 32bit games for another 10 years

i cant see a system based on something like 6670 having any more than 2g

but something around 7850 maybe 3g if they want to intentionally cripple pc gaming

imo they could feasibly put 8g with it though and still have a console that costs under $600

Well yea but as i said earlier the only reason I could see them go the 6670 route would be to speed up the console refresh rate so they could sell more units over all - cheap units that are just a little bit more powerful than the competiton and at a cheaper price but a console every 2 years or so.

With the original Xbox Microsoft literally integrated a Geforce 3 TI, for the X360 they used a custom made graphics card that was built to their specifications, actually it was the first graphics card to have a unified shader system which PC hardware have now emulated.

If assuming the rumour is true it doesn't surprise me, Microsoft have for the last few years chased casual gamers, even from its inception the X360 was industrially designed to be palpable to casual gamers and XBLA initially facilitated those casual games. The Wii proved that cheap hardware and motion controls can sell a lot of consoles and it doesn't surprise me if Microsoft want to compete in that market space, I still think it's possible Microsoft will release a cheap console with cross mobile development in 2012 against the Wii U.

Edited by King_TriTAN

Even if the 6670 rumour is spot-on (i.e. modified 6670 to MS' specifications), I don't think it's the end of the world. MS is basically learning and applying lessons from this generation, especially from Nintendo re: hardware.

Looking at some of the shinier games on modern consoles I feel that with the next gen we'll be at the point where your art department budget, rather than the GPU, will be the bottleneck that determines how good your game looks. MS wants an Xbox in every loungeroom ("Xbox Nexus" is a cool sounding name IMHO, and indicative of what they want it to be) so they want it to have all the advantages: cheap, backwards compatible, part of a rich ecosystem.

I would not be surprised if they cut a deal with Sony that involves them trading their Android licensing fee for a Blu-Ray licensing fee.

These are still rumors, both Oban and 6670 or even 7 series. But for the sake of argument, I guess there are some truths behind the 6670. Oban, on the other hand, was confirmed to be in production by IBM and the other company. But based on the some rumors and a source from inside Microsoft, Oban is most likely to be the chip for the next generation Xbox.

About this "720" thing, I guess Microsoft won't be so stupid to call it that way. If you can remember Kinect's first name, it was Natal or Project Natal and many believed it was to be called that way but when launch date came, it turned out to be Kinect.

But this I'm sure, the next generation Xbox would be more powerful than we expect. Microsoft couldn't just afford to release second grade console, not after Xbox 360 became the number 1 console in 2011.

Latest rumour about the xbox next (720 or whatever it will be called) is a touch screen controller much like the WiiU's supposed touch controller:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/33536...troller-report/

If this is true then it could be a 6670 like card in order to keep costs down. Having what is essentially a tablet in every controller does ramp up the price and they have done some pretty amazing tricks with the 5 year old hardware so maybe a slower newer piece with specific coded games will work fine at 1080p with good details.

I mean we don't really know what DX11 is actually capable of because there haven't really been a great deal of developers working with pure DX11 engines

Edited by UberPenguin

Latest rumour about the xbox next (720 or whatever it will be called) is a touch screen controller much like the WiiU's supposed touch controller:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/33536...troller-report/

If this is true then it could be a 6670 like card in order to keep costs down. Having what is essentially a tablet in every controller does ramp up the price and they have done some pretty amazing tricks with the 5 year old hardware so maybe a slower newer piece with specific coded games will work fine at 1080p with good details.

I mean we don't really know what DX11 is actually capable of because there haven't really been a great deal of developers working with pure DX11 engines

Im really not excited about this at all, Seems like a shit gimmick to me.

My personal reccomendation to them would be to keep the regular controller as the primary control and have this as a peripheral device that does not ship with the terminal.

Seeing as how the PS Vita can stream games to it from the PS3 or so I've read

And the Wii U can do this as well

Wouldn't surprise me of the XBOX 9000+ could do this as well

Why don't they just have an "expansion" slot to upgrade the GPU in consoles? This has always surprised me.

I remember when the N64 had the RAM slot, to install (4MB?) More RAM. Was cool, and I thought would be the future of console evolution.

Just chuck a bigger GPU in your console every two years or whenever they release a new Xbox GPU. You would think they would make more money doing that every two year, then two years after producing a new console; so running a 4-year cycle. Makes more sense to me than running the same console for 5-6 years anyway.

Obviously if they use an APU style processor this time around that will become more difficult in some ways, as it will be more like replacing a PC CPU, rather than just pulling out a PCI device.

Why don't they just have an "expansion" slot to upgrade the GPU in consoles? This has always surprised me.

sure but some people want a device that just works and that they don't have to 'upgrade' every year/2years to play the 'latest and greatest'