Sign in to follow this  
Antraman

WiFi Network troubleshooting help

Heyas,

Something strange has just happened the other day. After several years of almost constant non-stop reliable service, my wireless modem has just stopped its WiFi.

The Billion BiPac 7404VGO got a rave review in Atomic several years ago, and I have had this unit maybe 4-5 years. Its been a solid and reliable performer all this time. For some reason I cannot work out, the Wifi has just stopped over the last couple of days. Yesterday it was back on, then its stopped again, and I can't get it started.

To this modem I have 2 machines connected via ethernet cable, with 2 spares for friends when they visit. The Playstation 3 is connected via Wifi, and has been working since the machine was bought new. Also, 2 monbile phones regularly connect to the Wifi, along with an iPad, and at times a 3rd phone and 2x laptops.

Now, the Playstation 3 cannot find the media servers, nor can the 2 phones (iPhone4 and Galaxy SII) or iPad. The PC's connected via ethernet still get internet, printer and sharing access as usual.

At first I thought it might be some local RF interference, so I set my iPhone as an access point and turned on its Wifi, and the Galaxy can access internet via Wifi from the iPhone, as can the iPad. So its not our devices.

I haven't played around with any settings in the web based configuration utility....I've poked around and looked at stuff, but not made any changes.

Are there some things I can check before I decide the modem is dying and needs to be replaced??

Most likely the wireless card has carked. 4-5 years is not a bad life for a modem actually.

Now you may get lucky and be able to find a replacement if the 7404VGO has mini-pci wireless cards (some routers do and some have soldered on cards).

Probably better to retire the poor old girl, or if you really want to keep it and have one spare ethernet port on it you could buy a cheap wireless AP and connect it up to the 7404VGO and set that up as the wireless AP.

Ye a mate has my old 7404vgp-m and he loves it. Was no good for me as it really disliked my long noisy line (dropped out all the time).

Still there is the 7404VGOX

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search...4VGO&spos=3

which I assume is an updated version of yours.

Still at those prices I would probably disable the 7404VGO's wireless (so it doesn't come and go) and plug in a cheapy wireless N AP to one of the 7404's ethernet ports.

Edited by aliali

:)

Well not D-Link perhaps, always seem to give me trouble, although really if you get something like that you might as well retire the Billion as I had to with mine a while ago.

I had a Linksys, which was great but then I joined iinet and went the VOIP route with BoB so the Linksys is just a backup now, although somehow ii have sent me two BoBs for some reason to do with changing plans so I guess I'm pretty well covered :)

Cheers

Ali - do you mean like one of these?

http://www.dlink.com.au/products/?pid=848

With chrisg on avoiding D-Link, dealt with a few of their products that where problematic (not as annoying as Belkin though). Also have a look at the TP-Link products. They tend to be cheap but reliable, although any brand can have it's bad models/production runs.

I want to hang onto the Billion unit if I can...I gathered from Ali's suggestion that there is a gadget you can connect to one of the ethernet ports that will create a WiFi access point, like a dongle or someting? I just googled N AP from Ali's post and this d-Link above is one of the things that came up...

Funny enough

I want to hang onto the Billion unit if I can...I gathered from Ali's suggestion that there is a gadget you can connect to one of the ethernet ports that will create a WiFi access point, like a dongle or someting? I just googled N AP from Ali's post and this d-Link above is one of the things that came up...

Funny enough

These should be available in Australia

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/?categoryid=239

and these

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/?categoryid=242

and these

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/?categoryid=1247

Heck if you have an unused working wireless router around you can easily set that up as a straight Access Point.

To do this you connect a PC to the router, log in to it's web interface and change it's LAN IP to something in the range of the modem.

The Billion is probably using 192.168.1.254 with the DHCP range being from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253.

So I would set the new router to 192.168.1.253 (well outside any chance of that IP being assigned by DHCP.

Save the config and reboot the router. Log back in to it on 192.168.1.253 and set up the wireless LAN part with the SSID you want, the security you want and the channel you want to use. Save and reboot again.

Log back in a third time and now disable the DHCP server and any firewall, port forwarding mac filtering etc. Save and reboot for the last time.

Now while it is rebooting connect a LAN cable from the 7404 to LAN1 of the wireless router not the WAN port

Bingo you should have the wireless router working in straight AP mode.

Advantage of using a full wireless router is they are generally actually a bit cheaper than a straight access point plus it gives you 3 more LAN ports on your LAN (access points tend to only have one LAN port for connecting to the LAN obviously).

The above may even work with a wireless modem if you have one kicking around (although just to be safe remember to delete any ADSL connection details from it's config).