Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Shopi

Small basic

Just picked up the latest apc mag, and it came with small basic. Just wondering if anyone's dealt with it, any tutorial / books to recommend? Have minimal programming experience thought this might be an 'easy' one to wet the feet on.

Looks like a trivial language to learn. The Wikipedia entry is probably all you need. Personally I think it's a bit of a gimmick. It's aimed at school kids, but I guarantee that the ones that are interested in development will pick up more useful languages just fine.

Are you planning to create something out of it?

For beginners who may not have any programming background, Small Basic could probably become a good starting point. But I'm not sure if programmers nowadays would want to pick this language from the rest considering the usefulness and application may be a problem.

Anyway, here is a link to Small Basic's official page from Microsoft website: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/ff384126.aspx

Nothing in mind to create from it, truthfully, I have no ideas on anything I'd like to develope, just wouldn't mind having anthor skill under the belt. I've read other posts suggesting vb or python etc. I've the software and manuals / books to learn both (as well as c and c++). Extent of my programming experience was basic back on the old commoder 64, as well as dos batchfiles. Lol, so as you can see next to nothing at all, well at least relevant anyways

I'd also recommend Python (or Ruby if you want to be cool). Both are terse and easy to read which when you're dealing with programming is a very important thing. Both are used extensively in exciting projects, and I absolutely love programming in them when compared to other languages.

i have heard alot of people saying that the mIRC scripting language isn't half bad to learn as a first as it goes over the usual if then else and loops and crap

i bought this mag myself only to notice this small basic, will try it myself too :)

I'd also recommend Python (or Ruby if you want to be cool). Both are terse and easy to read which when you're dealing with programming is a very important thing. Both are used extensively in exciting projects, and I absolutely love programming in them when compared to other languages.

Fuck off wit yo python, bitch.

Ruby for sure.