Sign in to follow this  
GL0Be

PC Case Gear are a joke.

Called up PC Case Gear this morning to inquire about an AMD 7970 video card and the Koolance VID-AR797 Reference HD 7970 VGA Cooler. Seems simple enough one would think. I asked the sales rep firstly about the Koolance VGA block, and asked what 7970 card it would fit ..."I don't know" was the reply.

So then I asked what 7970 video cards do they have in stock that are reference design layout ..."I don't know" was the reply again. Then I get told to go to www.coolingconfigurator.con to see what cards are supported. Now we have two things here ...

Firstly I am inquiring about a KOOLANCE water block, not an EK water block, that coolingconfigurator.com is designed for. But okay I'll play along. So whilst on the phone I shoot over to coolingconfigurator.com and select a Sapphire 7970 card. There are 3 cards to choose from. Each card has its own reference/SKU number in the drop down list, that you match to the card you wish to purchase. Easy enough one would think.

I go back to PC Case Gear and look up the Sapphire 7970 video card page and low and behold, they don't offer ANY reference/SKU numbers for ANY of their 7970 video cards. WTF? So first they advertise on their site to go to ww.coolingconfigurator.com as a means to select a compatible card for the water block you wish to buy, BUT no information that the card your choosing will actually work as there is NO fucking reference/SKU number on their site to verify you are selecting the right card for the water block.

I explain this to the PC Case Gear rep and he tells me PC Case Gear take NO responsibility for choosing the wrong parts. WTF?

Okay lets cut to the chase here. I ask the rep, what 7970 cards are reference design layout again. He says he doesn't know - again. I ask could he find out? He puts me on hold and comes back and and says "All cards with a stock cooler are reference design layouts" Okay now were getting somewhere. So I say, the Sapphire card I am looking at on your website has a stock cooler, as it looks identical to the ASUS cooler, the MSI cooler, the HIS cooler and the Gigabyte cooler. He agrees with this, and says they are reference design.

Okay, so if I come in today and purchase the Koolance VID-AR797 Reference HD 7970 VGA Cooler and the Sapphire 7970 video card, and the water block doesn't fit, what happens then? He replies, "you are stuck with them both" WTF? Then he goes on to tell me PC Case Gear does not accept returns of none matched goods. WTF?

I try to explain as calmly and as simply as possible if he understands the predicament a customer is in if they purchase ANY video card from their store without a reference/SKU number, as it truly leaves them GUESSING if they have selected the right card for the job. Now get this, he AGREES with me, and says that's just how it is. "You buy it and it doesn't fit, your stuck with it, that is our policy" I reply, even if you don't offer customers the relevant information to make an informed decision? "Yes" was the reply.

We are not talking about losing $50.00 dollars here. This video card and water block will set you back nearly 1,000.00 big ones. And PC Case Gears attitude is too bad for you? Why not offer SKU and reference numbers on your products page? other PC retailers do it. I find this unbelievable and unacceptable.

His last bit of advice was to go online and find out who has used what video card with what water block. I am not joking either, that is what he told me. Unfuckinbelievable!

Try doing that to some of the other stores I know. They won't help you either as you are being quite specific in your question and that's something stores don't like doing.

Trust me, I know.

Wouldn't going into the store with the model numbers in hand and looking at the boxes tell you this information?

They should have been able to at least tell you the specifics of what they had in stock so you could ensure you were getting what you were hoping for. Sounds a little lazy on thier part.

I ordered a full list of parts a couple weeks ago. They offered 1-2 day delivery for $144 or 2-5 day delivery for $48. Not in that much of a hurry so took the cheaper option.

Got an email saying the mother board would not be in their warehouse until 12 days later. Okay, I can wait.

The morning after submitting the order I got to work and the package had arrived already and included the motherboard we ordered. Saved $100 and 2 weeks. We were stoked. Freaky stuff though.

While I agree that they should at least have the SKU numbers and what not, the rest of the research really is up to you, perhaps speaking to koolance rather than pccg will help you, as watercooling is still a very uncommon thing and I doubt most computer salesmen would know much unless they worked for thekoolroom or gammods or something.

Wouldn't going into the store with the model numbers in hand and looking at the boxes tell you this information?

No

They don't have a "store" as such, and to pick up from their warehouse/factory you must first place the order and then wait for an email saying its ready to be picked up. A bit hard to just rock up with model numbers in hand, when they have a no budge system in place.

Their loss in the end. I rang another retailer who were more than happy to to ring Sapphire and confirm. Picked up the card already. Now I have to wait until Friday for the water block to arrive, which suits me fine, as I'll have the weekend to play with it.

Just really disappointed in PC Case Gears attitude. I can understand them not wanting customers to return items left right and center, but come on, I was planning on spending just over $1600 dollars today on hardware.

I just think its right to let people know the "policy" PC Case Gear have when selecting expensive hardware. You make a mistake in choosing parts, because of the lack of information on their site and YOU wear the consequences. That's not right, not right at all.

If you're quick, all 7970's are reference boards at the moment from XFX and HIS. Gigabyte, ASUS, Sapphire and a couple of others are in the middle of changing it over, but if they have the full-shroud "stock" cooler on them they too are reference boards.

Worst case is they don't fit together (they will) and you have to sell the card on Ebay for a small loss. Otherwise you piss and moan to them, threaten them with ACCC disputes and try get what you want. Personally I would just take the Ebay road if it didn't fit.

Regardless, buy a full-shroud reference card like the one below and you're peaches. The only difference between them all is the sticker on the cooler.

Posted Image

While I agree that they should at least have the SKU numbers and what not, the rest of the research really is up to you, perhaps speaking to koolance rather than pccg will help you, as watercooling is still a very uncommon thing and I doubt most computer salesmen would know much unless they worked for thekoolroom or gammods or something.

You nailed it. IF they had the SKU numbers on site, I could have done the rest. The whole schmozzle would never have happened, and this thread would never existed. What I'm bitter about is the attitude. You make a mistake because they don't provide relative information for a customer to make an informed decision, YOU wear the consequences.

I mean look at it logically, you go to PC Case Gear and find a 7970 for the price you can afford. Okay now you want to water cool it. I can choose EK or Koolance as PC Case Gear sell both these items. Okay lets contact Koolance first. Dear Koolance I want to buy a Koolance VID-AR797, what card do I need? They reply you need SKU# 21197-00-40G

Cool, you go back to PC Case Gear WITH SKU# and ....

THERE IS NO BLOODY INFORMATION!

How the feck are you supposed to pick the correct card EVEN WHEN you have the correct SKU?

And PC Case Gears attitude? That's YOUR problem.

If you're quick, all 7970's are reference boards at the moment from XFX and HIS. Gigabyte, ASUS, Sapphire and a couple of others are in the middle of changing it over, but if they have the full-shroud "stock" cooler on them they too are reference boards.

Worst case is they don't fit together (they will) and you have to sell the card on Ebay for a small loss. Otherwise you piss and moan to them, threaten them with ACCC disputes and try get what you want. Personally I would just take the Ebay road if it didn't fit.

Regardless, buy a full-shroud reference card like the one below and you're peaches. The only difference between them all is the sticker on the cooler.

Posted Image

I hear what your saying mate, but I ain't taking a "small loss" because PC Case Gear want to be slack fucks who don't give a shit about customers. That's what it comes down too.

I went to another retailer this afternoon. This is how it went down ..."I want to buy a reference design layout 7970 video card so I can water cool it."

He says he doesn't know if its a reference design, and asks me if I mind waiting. He rings Sapphire and they tell him the video card is reference design. Done! How easy was that?

Here's a pic of what I picked up today. I took it with my rig in the background so people don't think I made this shit up, and am just having a whinge. Well I am having a whinge actually, guilty as charged I'm afraid :P

But a justifiable whinge imho.

Posted Image

Thanks for the reference pic tomato, and yes, your article (I think you wrote it?) had a big influence on me grabbing this card :)

Okay who am I kidding, I'm a hardware slut, its new, big and bad, and I want it! :P

good job voting with your wallet and not buying from them. if they get your 7970 sale either way because they have the best price, then why do they need to care?

i get what your saying, and it would be useful to have more information about a few of their products, or to provide the information if asked. but in this particular case, as pointed out, all the 7970s are reference so any one would be fine. imagine the amount of returns they must have to deal with, specifically related to water cooling, its very easy to get the wrong thing, or something extra you didn't need. i can see why they are taking a tough stance.

my personal experience with pc case gear they've been pretty good. although i haven't tried to return anything before.

have fun with the new card :) which block did you go with? I was trying to decide between the koolance or the EK as well.

edit: posted @ same time :P

Edited by p0is(+)n

Going with the Koolance this time around buddy :)

If you look at the picture, you can see my 6970 with the EK block on it. No troubles at all with the EK block, but seriously I've had this rig up and running for like a month? LOL bloody went out today, not even a month in and upgraded the video card :P I need help I tells ya.

I haven't picked the Koolance for any reason other than I've never used their products before. Why not give them a try?

I must admit, I'm kind of shitting myself a little, this bloody card WITHOUT the water black if freaking heavy! What a beast of a card. Can't wait for the block to be delivered, hopefully by Friday I should have it. Then I'll spend the entire weekend fornicating with it :)

I read this as I couldn't do good enough research and bought from somewhere that could confirm..

Really man. It is your problem if they dont have the information and wont provide it then go somewhere else.

Dunno why your raging.

It should be the same length and weight as the 6970 without the cooler on it, but yes, the stock cooler takes the weight up to 1087g, while the 6970 weights 1036g. (just weighed them both).

LOL mudg3 you don't know me very well mate - this ain't raging, this is me having a sook :P

Tomato that is cool as. I read somewhere, God knows where now, but they had the weight of the Koolance water block. Would be interesting to know what the card weighs without the stock cooler, and what it weighs with a water block attached. I'm still amazed these things stay on the motherboard. Looking at my 6970, its on the slightest of angles. Always shit myself when I have to move the case to get to the rear of it.

Iv'e got two of them dangling off the motherboard in my case, but thankfully the TJ11 is 90 degree flipped, so they are easier to get in and out without putting pressure on the PCI bracket when you take the face-plate screws out.

my his 7970 came with a little arm+bracket and some sticky pads to prop up the end of the card, but it doesn't fit anywhere useful :)

edit: should add no problems with sagging that I can see though. I think my 2900xt was heavier..

Edited by p0is(+)n

Is 'model number' the same thing as 'SKU'? Couldn't you have checked out the video card manufacturers' websites and got the relative information that way? If you would rather pay more for your product and have research done for you that is your problem.

I've had pretty good experience with PC Case Gear.

Just emailed PCCaseGear from there contact us form on the page for the Sapphire Graphics card, I asked.

Subject: Feedback Box: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 3GB

Product Name: Sapphire Radeon HD7970 3GB(19125)

Just wondering if you could let me know what the reference/SKU number is for this graphics card?

reply, 10min later

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry. This is SA-7970-3GD5.

Let us know if you have any further queries and we’ll be glad to help.

Best regards,

Edited by PointZeroOne

I read this as I couldn't do good enough research and bought from somewhere that could confirm..

Really man. It is your problem if they dont have the information and wont provide it then go somewhere else.

Dunno why your raging.

mhm

read this thinking this whinge is hardly justifiable.

AMD or Nvidia reference design is exactly that, a reference design, it doesn't change -_-

Edited by nesquick

Dunno why your raging.

mhm

AMD or Nvidia reference design is exactly that, a reference design, it doesn't change -_-

Okay then, you win, your right, all knowledgeable and superior. Now eat my frames rates bitches!

In Australia it is law that you are entitled to a full refund if the product you purchased does not do what the sales person said it would.

I think in this case the sales person was justified in not giving you the relevant information and getting you to do your own research.

Did you at any stage, ask for the SKU numbers of any of the GPUs?

Yes, $1,000 is allot to spend for a few extra frames so you should be the informed party, the sales rep was just covering his ass.

Dunno why your raging.

mhm

Okay then, you win, your right, all knowledgeable and superior. Now eat my frames rates bitches!

Tell that to my 7970

In Australia it is law that you are entitled to a full refund if the product you purchased does not do what the sales person said it would.

I think in this case the sales person was justified in not giving you the relevant information and getting you to do your own research.

Did you at any stage, ask for the SKU numbers of any of the GPUs?

Yes, $1,000 is allot to spend for a few extra frames so you should be the informed party, the sales rep was just covering his ass.

theres a difference between the card working flawlessly and not accepting a waterblock or the card they send was AGP when you have PCIE, consumers can't play god with these laws.

Dunno why your raging.

mhm

Tell that to my 7970

Pics or it didn't happen!

:P