Sign in to follow this  
B82R3S

6 member zraid1 array(pool?) with one disk having an OS partition on it.

Going to redo my microserver.

ATM it is 5x2TB drives in mdraid5, but im thinking of going to freebsd + zfs. My choices are (i figure)

5x2TB wd greens

1x3TB wd greens

zfs array made from the 5 2tb drives and a 2tb partition of the 3tb drive (aligned properly & correct ashift size )

OS + rest of the crap on the 1tb partition. Critical OS stuff backed up via mondo.

Other option is

5x2tb wd greens in zraid1 and 2x500gb 2.5" drives in raid1 (whatever it is, zmirror)

im leaning towards the 6 drive option but im not sure how the load on one of the disks would affect it (i.e. will one slow disk kill the array or just slow it a bit).

May even go 6 disks and and sneak a single laptop disk inside there somewhere. And ive only got 4gb of ECC ram, is that enough or would i want more for ZFS? Its a low load home fileserver.

Will do my own testing if i get no answers but if one of you chaps can save me some time testing thatd be great

My Solaris box (I forget which actual version I installed, Solaris Experss Community Edition, or OpenSOlaris, haven't worked out how to tell yet meh) runs 6*1.5TB for a raid-z pool, and a single 400G for os.

Works well enough for me with it's 2GB of RAM, with some 512MB taken up by my web server VM, wish i'd stuffed a better CPU, the single core Athlon 64 is showing its age!

Edited by pwarren

yeah i decided i will go seperate disks for ease of use.

What i cant decide is if i should go 5x2tb or 6x2tb. 6 means i need to find a way to cram more HDD's into the ol microserver lol

perfrormance wont be as good as i currently get though..

turns out with 4k drives 3 or 5 disks is good for zraid1 due to stripe sizes or something

now what i need to decide is if i should use the raw devices or if i should use aligned partitions for the disks. If the 4k WD hdd's are unjumpered, i can just use the raw devices right?

Raw devices is what I've heard recommended and what I ended up going with. I've not used 4k drives yet though, was a few years ago now that I set this up :)