Sign in to follow this  
aussiejunior

win 7 defaulting to an unidentified public network

Greetings to all. Recently I changed my isp from telstra to another company. I also had to change my modem as the one I had was hard locked to telstra. Since then I've been having trouble connecting my laptop to the home network or even the internet. I have it setup so that the modem goes into a network router and then out to the computers via ethernet cable.

My problem is that the connection keeps defaulting to a unidentified public network and wont connect to the home group or the internet.

I have tried deleting all previous network locations and everything is set to auto detect/config for the ip4/ip6 settings

I have tried resetting bith the modem and the ethernet port on the laptop. Every other network setting is set to auto detect or alloq network sharing/finding.

The laptop is running win 7 ultimate 64bit

Sorry if what i've typed is abit vauge but i'm clueless when it comes to networking lol.

If it helps i previously had the laptop set to use the wireless from the old modem, but the new one doesnt have wireless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Is this "unidentified public network" the only network that's shown as available?

In Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections what adapters are active? Can you disable wireless temporarily to see if that helps?

I have it setup so that the modem goes into a network router and then out to the computers via ethernet cable.

Oh gawd.

I hope you have set the modem to bridge mode, otherwise you are double natting when connected to the router, this will cause major headaches with the LAN. not if the modem is 4 port one setting it to bridge mode will make all those ports and any wireless on it unusable.

Your other option is to set the router to AP mode so it becomes a dumb switch and wireless AP. Exactly what modem and router do you have and how is everything connecting to them?

Even with the laptop connected directly to the modem it still comes up as unidentified public network. Even if I try disabling the wireless and telling it that its a home network it defaults to the unidentified public network.

Even with the laptop connected directly to the modem it still comes up as unidentified public network. Even if I try disabling the wireless and telling it that its a home network it defaults to the unidentified public network.

Ok then while connected to the network go to network and sharing centre and under where it says "view your active networks" and public network or unidentified public network should be in blue. Click on that and change it to home network. Also if there is a line down the bottom of the network choosing window that say "treat all future networks that I connect to as public, and don't ask me again" then untick that box.

Thanks aliali for your help. I did abit more digging around tonight with settings etc, and i found a few more network locations to remove that may have been confusing the laptop. So i deleted them and reset the network adaptor and ran the internet trouble shooting thingy and it came up saying that the issue was with the ip adress but it fixed it for me. I'm now typing this directly on the laptop lol.

Thanks again for helping