Dasa

SSD prices dropping

just noticed some noteworthy drops in ssd prices

OCZ AGILITY 3 120G $169

OCZ AGILITY 3 240G $349

OCZ Vertex 3 240G $399

:O nice. I think I paid nearly $400 for my vertex 3 120 when it first came out.

PC Case Gear have the same price on the 120GB Vertex 3. The other prices on the 240GB drives are slightly lower though, so not sure where they are from.

120GB Agility 3

Indeed, perhaps I should look into the Agility drives instead. I'm still wary of OCZ's reliability. Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

My brother has had to replace his Vertex SSD twice, and the Vertex range have the largest percentage of failed drives according to this. I'm worried that the Vertex 3 is more of the same.

centrecom has the 240g drives and pccg had the 120g price

missed that the vertex 3 240g is a oem model they have been about for ~$430 for a while i think still not bad i think it only lacks the bracket for mounting in 3.5" bays

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search...0g+3&spos=3

ocz firmware seem to be fairly solid now the drives have matured but the sandforce controller is still a bit more likely to die than others but only putting it into a similar reliability bracket as hdd

looks like the 120g agility 3 is $169us so we are paying the same for it but the 240g ssd are $299us so they could get a bit cheaper yet

Edited by Dasa

I really, really want an SSD... but I want one for my OS, and more for games.

General data can stay on mechanical drives.

I just can't afford enough of them for my needs at their current prices. :(

Any idea when more price drops will happen?

thats why i went with a 60g cache not perfect but better than nothing or screwing around with swapping games constantly

~500g+ needs to come under $400 before i would consider ssd an option for me without using it as a cache

probably a few more years till price drops like that happen though by which time i will probably want a lot more than 500g :)

think i only paid $190 for an agility 3 ~6 months or more ago. i use it for OS + few games and its pretty full. lucky to have bought a bunch of mechanical drives before they were expensive, although even they are also coming down in price. im not sure if the ssd helps or not, but from cold boot my computer sits at the desktop after ~20 seconds and its ready to use. no waiting or hanging on background apps and shit.

Very tempting. How reliable are the Vertex 3's?

Edit: And where did you find them that cheap?

crucial drives are not far behind http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...th=210_902_1247

I'd rather a crucial any day compared to OCZ with all the failures I read about (even if it has that 5000hour bug)

This looks like a good deal. http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/63019

I've been using a Silicon Power 120GB SATA6 SSD for months now, cost me about $180 back then. Never had a single problem with it. Fast as hell. Good to see the name-brands dropping as well, but I bet that means my drive is also cheaper now.

those silicon power ones are pretty much identical to OCZ i think.

their chinese sales reps email me every week at work with the latest deals and prices but we deal in servers and don't need SSDs, and don't want their other memory either.

what makes the crucial drives better than sandforce ones?

Edited by p0is(+)n

ocz firmware seem to be fairly solid now the drives have matured but the sandforce controller is still a bit more likely to die than others but only putting it into a similar reliability bracket as hdd

good point. It's all relative I guess.

I did upgrade the firmware on my original Vertex a few times, but not because of problems. Most of the guys at work have gone down the OCZ path and I don't recall any complaints. Still an emerging technology...

I find my OCZ V3 MIOPS to be awesome, is still as fast now as when I first installed OSX on it, maybe a half second slower boot due to patches and app installs.

I am thinking I might do a tidy up tonight, we have a baby shower going on at mine tonight, so I might hide from the cluckiness!

Edited by lunchbox1988

Well, I have two Vertex 2 SSDs and the 240GB is locked/dead so that's a bummer. As it was still within warranty, I might see if I can get something other than the Vertex/Agility and try the Octane. Worse comes to worse, pay more for Crucial or Corsair.

What's the word on Patriot's new Pyro SSD? Link

How do they compare to the OCZ Vertex 2?

I only ask because the Pyro is going for $160 at MSY and the Vertex 2 for $150 at PC Case Gear.

its about the same as the ocz agility 3 $160 they both use the same SF-2281 controller

vertex 2 is only sata 2 and much slower if you have a sata 3 controller on your mb