Sign in to follow this  
ReapermanRS

Xbox 360 replacing optical drive.

Right, bought a cheap console off ebay for $40 knowing that it had a faulty optical drive, that's alright I think to myself. I have a dead xbox in the shed with a perfectly fine optical drive. Pull it too pieces and swap them out I think. Easy as.

WRONG!

Apparently each optical drive is keyed to each console so you can't do this. Works just fine for dvd's but it now treats games as movies and refuses to play them. The drives are different models, a LiteOn and a Toshiba so I can't swap the controller boards over so apparently unless I buy a refurbed LiteOn off of ebay I have to hook each drive up to the computer and extract the key from the original and the overwrite the key on the replacement model.

Short easy job turned into headache.

Basically I just want to know if anyone's done this and if they had any success. It's a present for my nephew so I kind of want to get it right.

Maybe get one of those xternal HD-DVD USB drives which attach to the XBOX 360?

Aren't they only useable for HDDVDS? I thought games still had to go in the internal drive?

Edited by NukeJockey

Maybe get one of those xternal HD-DVD USB drives which attach to the XBOX 360?

Aren't they only useable for HDVDS? I thought games still had to go in the internal drive?

I think they can read normal DVDs too. I attached one at a cash converters to a normal laptop and it read a DVD no problems.

Yes, but I don't think it can read games, which is what the OP wants the Xbox to do.

ReaperManRS, have you thought about getting rid of the optical drive out of the equation altogether?

http://www.ozmodchips.com/x360key-xk3y-for...ader-p-362.html

USB Loader for the 360, you could probably still use the drive you have to rip discs too, because technically it should be able to read them.

All you need alongside that is a portable USB HDD and you'd be set.

Thank you all for the advice but I managed to do it and I did it in the best possible way.

THE MACGUYVER WAY

Also I spent about four hours researching etc before finding these.

Turns out the original drive is the absolute worst possible one to try and get the key out, hence the cable hack.