NukeJockey

Left 4 Dead Demo Preload!

My game starts up in widescreen at some stupidly high resolution, and I can't see the menu options to change it back to normal... So I can't play it. :|

You can change the resolution outside the game, right click on the icon & click set launch options But. I forgot what to type lol, its in the steam support somewhere.

It's ok, I did a print screen of the options menu (which showed in full when pasted into paint) and I guided myself from there. :)

It's a terrible zombie game. There's no survival element to it really. Ammo is far too plentiful, zombies die ridiculously easily from hits in the chest (yeah, because zombies die from stomach wounds), and to top it all off, you never really *die* - although I will admit on more than one occaision have Nukey and myself found ourselves all on the floor.

Play expert. You quite often really die.

From my quite a few hours of game play experience, I would disagree with the 'no surivial element' comment. The death mechanics are rigged in such a way that each individual is striving to surivive each individual wave of zombies so they can help their fallen comrade up, or eventually find the cupboard someone else has spawned in. You only get two 'help ups' before you do actually die on the third fall. The time between when you die and when you spawn again is often a bit more difficult for the remaining party.

Ammo is plentiful if you're using the shotgun, but go and use the uzi for a bit and you have to stretch it out a long way.

Zombies, while sustaining a few chest wounds shoudln't be an issue, if you had your entire torso ripped apart by a shotgun, you probably couldn't move either. I will grant you that it is a very valid point though.

I do see exactly where you're coming from, though. I just interpret the game differently to you.

I hope the full game addresses the crashing issues that I've been having, I think it could just be ATI related, but the first map crashes an awful lot on me..

I run an nVidia 9800GX2. I get ocassional crashing too.

found the game incredibly hard... kept on wiping before we got to the end of the demo level, furthest we got was to the switch.

Then we found it was on expert mode lol. on normal its too fucking easy.

Fun game but i aint spendin $50 on it lol

found the game incredibly hard... kept on wiping before we got to the end of the demo level, furthest we got was to the switch.

Then we found it was on expert mode lol. on normal its too fucking easy.

Fun game but i aint spendin $50 on it lol

I hope the full game addresses the crashing issues that I've been having, I think it could just be ATI related, but the first map crashes an awful lot on me..

Hmm which map? I havent had one crash on the 2nd map, but one of my mates gets connection errors on that map until the team gets down to the train tracks, very odd.

The crashes are apparently due to the Engine not being properly set up to handle Multicore

try typing in

mat_queue_mode 0 into console, fixed it for me :)

It's a terrible zombie game. There's no survival element to it really. Ammo is far too plentiful, zombies die ridiculously easily from hits in the chest (yeah, because zombies die from stomach wounds), and to top it all off, you never really *die* - although I will admit on more than one occaision have Nukey and myself found ourselves all on the floor.

From my quite a few hours of game play experience, I would disagree with the 'no surivial element' comment. The death mechanics are rigged in such a way that each individual is striving to surivive each individual wave of zombies so they can help their fallen comrade up, or eventually find the cupboard someone else has spawned in. You only get two 'help ups' before you do actually die on the third fall. The time between when you die and when you spawn again is often a bit more difficult for the remaining party.

Ammo is plentiful if you're using the shotgun, but go and use the uzi for a bit and you have to stretch it out a long way.

Zombies, while sustaining a few chest wounds shoudln't be an issue, if you had your entire torso ripped apart by a shotgun, you probably couldn't move either. I will grant you that it is a very valid point though.

I do see exactly where you're coming from, though. I just interpret the game differently to you.

Uh . . . I only play on expert. It's not that hard (actually got a little harder the other day as I mentioned, they've started spawning 2/3 elite zombies in the flat when you come down the stairs). The times you do die are because someone in your team does something stupid/unlucky, or you yourself do something stupid/unlucky. It's really not that hard when you're doing it properly.

I've yet to run out of any ammo, I've only noticed I've been running low once or twice, but that's because we've been fucking around.

I honestly don't feel any type of survival gameplay, nor do I feel like I need to convserve my shots. Someone aptly compared it to UT with fast retarded zombies.

But eh, it's still fun to play, even if it isn't what I was hoping for.

Uh . . . I only play on expert. It's not that hard (actually got a little harder the other day as I mentioned, they've started spawning 2/3 elite zombies in the flat when you come down the stairs). The times you do die are because someone in your team does something stupid/unlucky, or you yourself do something stupid/unlucky. It's really not that hard when you're doing it properly.

I've yet to run out of any ammo, I've only noticed I've been running low once or twice, but that's because we've been fucking around.

I honestly don't feel any type of survival gameplay, nor do I feel like I need to convserve my shots. Someone aptly compared it to UT with fast retarded zombies.

But eh, it's still fun to play, even if it isn't what I was hoping for.

We only have the first couple of acts. I'd heard that there's more environmental changes as you proceed through the levels, with bridges collapsing, doors being smashed in, that kind of thing.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks Shikimaru, I will try that later once I set up my new monitor and get my 5.1 setup going again.

I dont think people should judge this game solely on the demo, I think it will get a hell of alot better with surprises and what not, iirc SFD, we had quite a bit of trouble passing the first 2 acts on expert the first time I played with you, dont forget, the more you play a map, the easier it will get as you get to know all the weapon spawn points and zombie horde locations.

I'm with nesquick on this one, I also love it.

I dont think people should judge this game solely on the demo, I think it will get a hell of alot better with surprises and what not, iirc SFD, we had quite a bit of trouble passing the first 2 acts on expert the first time I played with you, dont forget, the more you play a map, the easier it will get as you get to know all the weapon spawn points and zombie horde locations.

We haven't exactly been playing seriously though =P

Has anyone else noticed that is really really easy to finish the demo on expert when you have 3 bots as opposed to 3 humans? might be coincidence :P

p.s i cant get enough of blowing up those boomers (they remind me of one of my sister's friends mum lol)

Edited by nesquick

Yea i must have been playing with noobs :P i quiet often found myself wading through a large group of zombies while my team mates kept lagging behind doesn't matter though i get more kills and its more fun that way just have to watch out for smokers on the roof and hunters roaming around the street.

Edit: the full game can now be preloaded! so everyone get preloading :)

sorry for bold but i felt it deserved it.

Edited by nesquick

Yea i must have been playing with noobs :P i quiet often found myself wading through a large group of zombies while my team mates kept lagging behind doesn't matter though i get more kills and its more fun that way just have to watch out for smokers on the roof and hunters roaming around the street.

Sorry, but if you're way infront of your teammates, you're also being a noob -_-

Stick together, use positions where you can get good enfiladed fire on the infected without exposing your sides, you'll be fine.

loved the demo, going to get it as soon as it come out (as 4.45gb is 3 days worth of downloading on my shitty net connection).

expert difficulty is fairly easy, but my god the pump action shotty is win (read: overpowerd). i spose it had to be because its the cliched zombie killing weapon tho :P

im seeing atomic L4D nights on the horizon >:D