Sign in to follow this  
te0p

BOSE Sub woofers

I have been browsing ebay for a subwoofer to use as part of my PC speakers...currently i have Yamaha AV 5.1 DD DTS etc.. amp.

I have a bose centre channel i bought and 2 B&O left right channel speakers

I have a subby as well and it is great but it belongs to another set of Home audio speakers and it needs to go back to complete that set of speakers.

This will leave me with no Subby!

So i was looking on ebay for a subby and noticed alot of Bose Lifestyle subs

I would be keen to get one as they are quite cheap... but because they are not really a component system more a propitiatory one in nature (ie: special leads and plugs) I am worried i wont be able to just plug one into my yamaha AV directly... and being ebay it is a PITA to work out what kind of accesories etc.. like RCA to connect the subby up to my AV.

Any one have any experience using one of these for a subby in a component set up?

Bose subby ebay

A quick google seems to tell me that there may be a powersuply failure issue after a while, might be worth looking into before you buy.

Personally I find that with a sub the larger the speaker the better the effect even if it has less power. Im not necessarily saying that small speakers dont accurately reproduce low frequencies rather that they just dont move enough air for you to "feel" the low frequency

Experience tells me that Bose sub woofers are just good when you will not take it to its full volume.. if you do, it sounds like the speaker is broken. A tech told me that when a speaker produces a sound like that, it's probably under-powered; meaning the power supply is not enough to produce a better audio when it's full.

I purchased a Bose for my other PC and compared with my Altec Lansing... at full volume, Bose sounds a crap while Altec Lansing still sounds better.

Experience tells me that Bose sub woofers are just good when you will not take it to its full volume.. if you do, it sounds like the speaker is broken. A tech told me that when a speaker produces a sound like that, it's probably under-powered; meaning the power supply is not enough to produce a better audio when it's full.

I purchased a Bose for my other PC and compared with my Altec Lansing... at full volume, Bose sounds a crap while Altec Lansing still sounds better.

Actually, it's because they're shit speakers.

BOSE speakers aren't what they used to be, they're just overpriced rubbish these days, using the good name that they once had.

I have a set of BOSE studio monitors from 1976, which sound fantastic. I wouldn't buy them these days.

The BOSE lifestyle subs don't connect straight to the sub output on the amp. In a normal BOSE setup it goes like this:

BOSE speakers --> Bose sub --> back of speaker connection on the back of the amp.

So unlike other subs, the bose sub doesn't connect directly to the back of the amp.