Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Guild Wars2 Update

I enjoyed my Warrior, but PvP wise, was a disappointment, it was hard to aim my charge and lag wise made it harder for me to time my burst, it seems that Range classes are the ticket here which I didnt hope but it seems I'll be rolling either a necro or an elementalist at this point.

I'm wondering if this will improve with tweeking + people getting to grips with their abilities.

The lag thing will hopefully improve, as they optimise. As for the range vs melee discussion, it's one I think ArenaNet is going to really have to think about.

It's about giving Melee the tools they need to close the distance. That said, go too far and you make it next to impossible for ranged characters to complete.

As it stands, Melee attacks are the most damaging in the game. Warriors will end up *beasts* as they get their gear/skills figured out.

Posting the same as I posted on OCAU:

I played a Thief for ~8 hours on Saturday and another 6-8 yesterday, logged last night at level 18, I did quite a bit of PVP and wasted time in WvW though.

Things I loved:

- Quest system, it felt less grindy, heaps less monotonous, only having your main story quest and then finding events throughout the world was a refreshing change.

- Graphics, very pretty game, animations are top notch as well.

- The world feels very immersive, just come across random towns being attacked is great, the thing I am worried about is once everyone levels, these towns are going to get completely ignored, there won't be enough people in the zone to take them back from the enemy.

- Combat, it was quite fun (in the levelling process, see below). It was also difficult (playing melee is heaps difficult, especially on some of the main story quests.)

Things I didn't like...

- Skills system in PVP (PVE it suited OK IMO), it feels too basic. I tried an Elementalist out in PVP early on (I am used to caster classes more-so than melee in WoW)... And I found it to be incredibly boring, spamming 1 was pretty much the only reliable thing you could do; the rest of their spells were AOE and everyone knows AOE spells don't work in a small-scale PVP setting. The only thing that was quite nice was switching between states (fire, water, air, earth) and performing a different role, but this still didn't really feel engaging to me. Thief PVP was quite a bit more fun, at least you actually chained skills up back to back to take some one down. I feel like there should be a bit more depth to the whole system though. It just feels spammy. And with no CC's outside of stuns and immobilisers it doesn't feel rewarding when you beat a group of players. It's just spam until someone makes a mistake.

- If you spam your buttons you end up chaining the skill too many times - in PVP you do tend to spam a bit, and this can lead to using the skill more than the amount of times you intend to. So in other words, get rid of the skills queueing.

- Need buff/debuff durations, not just the icon.

- Need more visual representation of your targets details, ie. class, level etc.

- PVP needs player balancing, the amount of times I queued into a game with 1 person on my side and 5 on the other was stupid.

- Battlegrounds need a way to check the team scores mid-game (kills etc.) - if it's there I couldn't find it.

- Lag, obviously, most likely fixable though.

- Grouping with people can be a pain in the ass due to the overflow.

- Graphical lag, another fixable issue once GPU optimizations are done.

I enjoyed my Warrior, but PvP wise, was a disappointment, it was hard to aim my charge and lag wise made it harder for me to time my burst, it seems that Range classes are the ticket here which I didnt hope but it seems I'll be rolling either a necro or an elementalist at this point.

I'm wondering if this will improve with tweeking + people getting to grips with their abilities.

The lag thing will hopefully improve, as they optimise. As for the range vs melee discussion, it's one I think ArenaNet is going to really have to think about.

It's about giving Melee the tools they need to close the distance. That said, go too far and you make it next to impossible for ranged characters to complete.

As it stands, Melee attacks are the most damaging in the game. Warriors will end up *beasts* as they get their gear/skills figured out.

My burst if the guy is stunned is huge with the great sword. But aiming the cyclone and the charge is crazy, not only that I dont have a way to gauge the distance as there is no indicator of how far my opponent is in order to use my charges. I also have to worry whether or not there is an obstacle that requires jumping.

That said when I used a Necro all I did was spam fear and dotted and 90% of 1v1 matched I'd win over the warrior because he had no way to close me and even if he did he was struggling like I did to land it. And when he finally did I just fear again and yea he even told me the frustration of a warrior which I consoled him. Rogues seem to fair better because their attacks seem to have a bit of range and accuracy. The only time he killed me was when I was CC'd with charge, bolas, the numerous slices, another stun from the bull, and followed with cyclone and then finish me off with adrenal. But by time he got me down my teammate came around and made him his bitch. WTF

I only hope that charge and cyclone gets easier to use, because if they fix that, then the Warrior will be balanced because I can still be kited but I dont have to struggle guessing whether or not I can charge or not.

I mean I played a rogue and it seems to be 10x easier to use because their attacks are quicky and autotarget more (for some reason).

Though I do enjoy the Dual Axe combo as that seems to be easier to use than the Great Sword (which I find to be only moderately strong).

It's a very pretty game and I managed to run at max settings through the beta with the only issue it having was an fps areas in certain areas of Lions Arch. I'd imagine that since that was a new addition to the beta it was some optimisation issues there. I really enjoyed the spontaneous questing as opposed to the current norm of holding your hand, telling you where to go and when. Outside of balance issues the only real downside to the beta was some initial server issues when everyone was first trying to log in and play.

As for some of the other things mentioned here:

Don't mash your keys. It's a bad habit you really need to stop. The skill queuing was like that in the first Guild Wars and a few hours there would teach you not to mash your face on the keyboard and expect success.

I agree in part with seeing the buff/debuff durations, but I could imagine it would get a little confusing watching the numbers ping pong up and down with all the stacking and removal skills everyone has.

In pve the level of mobs was displayed next to the name, in pvp your target was always level 80 so that really doesn't need to be pointed out more. There was wealth of visual clues telling you what the class you were facing was (the obvious being the class symbol in the target bar). Other things were things like casters with great swords, backpacks, pets following around people in certain kinds of armour etc.

The queuing system does seem to need a lot of work. A lot of the time it kept throwing me in 1v1 or 2v2 matches.

The scoreboard was B, I assume so that the key was right next to the WvW N.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying those things Ihsan, I probably didn't pay enough attention. The spamming of buttons is definitely something I'll need to work on. Obviously in WoW (any many other MMOs) there is a global cooldown which means spamming doesn't matter.

Looking forward to giving it a go again next beta weekend honestly, really hope they make it hardware accelerated rather than software, the performance issues really killed it for me due to my poor old Q6600 doing all the work ><

I only hope that charge and cyclone gets easier to use, because if they fix that, then the Warrior will be balanced because I can still be kited but I dont have to struggle guessing whether or not I can charge or not.

I mean I played a rogue and it seems to be 10x easier to use because their attacks are quicky and autotarget more (for some reason).

Though I do enjoy the Dual Axe combo as that seems to be easier to use than the Great Sword (which I find to be only moderately strong).

Kinda wondering why if someone is trying to kite a warrior, they don't just swap over to riffle, hit them with a cripple, then swap back.. charge them and bang.. you're in. I've also heard people talking about using the Warhorn for an exceptionally useful speed boost.

I suspect ArenaNet is going to hold of tuning too much until they analyise the data further. It's a tricky thing to sort out the difference between an over powered skill, vs a players individual skill level.

We'll have to wait and see how it washes out. The devs have stated they're not balancing PVP on 1v1 situations, so you may well find there's always going to be a class that gives you a run for your money, or that you simply can't beat without an assist.

You can probably lay 80% of the 'class balance' issues solely at the feet of user error. WoW kiddies with no experience creating their own build out of a multitude of skills ala Guild Wars and trying to min/max a and then crying they're getting stomped by someone with half a brain.

I came across several warriors who seemed to think it was an awesome idea to build around having nothing but signets and traits that boost power when they aren't used and only melee weapons who you could just walk around and around till they feel over dead. Using the signets was out of the question since they'd lose dps. The same went for other skills, equipping those would of meant less single target dps. Couldn't use a ranged weapon either because it's not a big sword.

I didn't play any pvp but both mates did, as a ranger and guardian, and went around 500-20 w/l, they were big gw1 players though. I thought the beta was pretty good, the buggiest things seemed to be with player interaction, like trying to send items to each other and randomly partying with my mates even though they weren't online.

Balance wise seeing as I didn't play pvp I wouldn't really know. pve on the other hand felt really easy, I mean at lvl 3 I solod a mob with 3 lvl 3's, a lvl 4 and a lvl 5, using my mesmer. At lvl 18 my mates were playing through lvl 23 areas. I guess this is all low level though, and designed to introduce players to the mechanics of the game.

Love the movement of the game, though it makes playing melee classes harder at first, I found playing mesmer much easier than theif. I'm hoping that using a sword on the mesmer will be viable in the future because it's so much fun.

My only complaint other than fixable frame-rate issues is that I don't think there are enough skills in the game. Guild Wars 1 was all about having a huge library of skills and picking out a selection that worked. Guild Wars 2 feels a lot more rigid and less creative, and despite ArenaNet trying to prevent it, I can only see certain weapons being viable with each profession.

My only complaint other than fixable frame-rate issues is that I don't think there are enough skills in the game. Guild Wars 1 was all about having a huge library of skills and picking out a selection that worked. Guild Wars 2 feels a lot more rigid and less creative, and despite ArenaNet trying to prevent it, I can only see certain weapons being viable with each profession.

I get what you're saying, but I think that was part of the reason the moved away from the "huge library of skills".

They found that in the end, not only did it make things a nightmare to balance, but people wound up using a collection of "Cookie cutter' builds regardless. It gave the illusion of choice, rather than having actual choice.

By having a smaller number of skills with more ridged skills assignment, I think they're hoping they can force a greater variety of viable builds.

More of a "right tool for the job" approach.

For example. the "best" condition based warrior build may be sword/axe.. but then you sacrifice the speed buffs with the war horn.

Does that mean the warhorn build is the best?

Well, that depends.. if my buddy focuses on pinning down the other player, that lets me focus on doing what my build does best.. conditions.

Situational play will be huge in GW2.. will you build a skirmisher, with very "get in, hit them hard, get out" kind of gameplay? Or will you focus on a Power/Toughness build, where you take more hits, relying on staying power to break blockades of characters.

It's not quite there yet, but I'm hopeful. It actually reminds me a little of the fighting game scene. You can have a character that people think is completely useless, when suddenly a single guy rocks up, discovers a trick to using that character and suddenly *bang*, it's popular.

That's how I see the first 3-6 months after launch being for GW2. People learning how to play, learning their class and particular build.. then we'll see the game really come into its own.

When I started I was getting downed/defeated alot. Towards the end of the second day I was playing better and I hardly got defeated at all and when I did it was becasue I stuffed up, some lag death, being spawned on or me trying to take on too many at once while I was solo. I had many epic battles were I was less than 10HP to being downed, pulling off a move or skill combo just enough to survive and heal then back in the fight. This swing back and forth of being close to defeat and coming back to win the battle happend alot and was most enjoyable and fun experience, somehting I hardly get to feel in any other game. When I felt I could not win the battle I would do all I could to get out, cripple/stun dodge run away even that was epic trying to hang on to dear life while avoiding other mobs or being 2 shotted. Use the terrain as cover what ever you have to do lol. I remember once I jumped off a cliff swan diving into a body of water. :D

In the very last couple of hours before the Beta ended I decided to roll a warrior (did what ever I could to not die) and got to level 6, I played smart and didnt get downed once, yes even the starting boss you fight at lvl1 with the Earth elemental boss, I was taking out the smaller ones that he summoned and stayed out of thee area effect zones , I didnt die but I didnt get to fight the boss head on, I ran in to hit him once but neerly got 1 shotted. I think it's intentional for you to get downed duing that fight to show you the mechanics of the downed state, though I just felt it was a bit rushed and wasn't as epic a battle fore a 1st lvl character as I think ANet devs are trying to achieve. None the less I can see the intensions and it sure beats the hell out of most games where you have to find quest giver, get quest, kill 10 rats, return their tails, get new quest, kill 15 rats bring back there ears.

I also noticed I was doing alot more damage especially with the 2handed hammer than i was doing with my engineer and rifle. I did find I needed to pick my fights to enter mellee. I was switching out weapons inbetween combats as I didnt have the switch weapons skill yet. This had a two fold effect as I was leveling up my weapon skills earlier, was just a matter of learning what the new skills did.

Playing my Engineer, Id use skill1 auto attack quickly followed by his net shot, this would buy more time before the foe would get to me so I could fire of a few more shots while walking backwards for extra time. Id time my Big damage shot that took half a second to unload just as they got to melee range. Then fire off the skill that sends them flying back while sending myself flying back. The turrets where a life saver, most mobs would attack the turrets first buying me some more time and if I needed to kite Id drop a turret to help get away. I had the thumper for a little more DPS and the Net cannon for croud control.

Later I got to try out the elixer gun skill, I had to use it for short duration, fire off most if not all its skills then switch back to rifle. I could lay down a small AOE heal, poison spray and a few others ive now forgotten. There is just too much to learn I didnt even get to use mines, bombs, tools and flame thrower yet and got this character to level 25.

I really hope Anet keep the game challenging and not your typical hold your hand mmo stuff. Rather than making the starter areas easyer, Id prefer a small tutorial for new players to explain and practice the dodging/moving techneques and skill use basics. Timing means alot to when you use your skills. No point crippling a foe that has no intentions of running from you or you not fleeing from them, use it when you need to. That half a second when you really need it and its already on cool down you'll wish you had that skill available right NOW. Use you knock down skill like an extra dodge. Use weeken/bleed your foe to do more DPS. Remember its trying to be a player skill based game not class skill based game...It is not a click a skill and it always works...remember that and you'll do well.

Mechanics like the charge warrior skill will take time to master, you'lll get a feel of its range and you'll pick a target that isnt straffing at that particular moment.

When a warrior gets downed your 3rd skill is vengence or somthing i think. You get up fight some more but ultimatly get defeated. Its a very powerfull skill. You can use your 1st skill to do some damage, 4th skill to try and heal your self, time your third skill just before defeat and use it to get a hit or 2 in then run away. This gives other players a chance to revive you, casue if your a the feet of a boss or a mass of AOE's in PvP no one is running in to revive you anytime soon.

Hope my tips will help you in the next BETA

Edited by Harro2