Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Guild Wars2 Update

Yep, definitely on a winner here ArenaNet. As long as the game PLAYS well, in terms of combat, this will be a major competitor for WoW, especially on the PVP front with the way the dodging mechanic works.

One thing that will kill it for me and I've said it a million times before about other games in the genre is the movement controls, the fluidity of the movement, the animations of the abilities and how they tie into one another, how the global cooldown system works etc. Those are the reasons that WoW PVP has been so successful, Blizzard nailed it!

Can't wait to give GW2 a go!

im pretty excited about it will definately give it a go.

but guild wars 1 doesnt hold a candle to wow so ill wait till it comes out before i use the term "Wow Kill"

The problem is the press are absolutely atrocious at playing games and the vast majority of the videos to come out of the weekends release are highlighting woeful players standing around mashing 1 in public quests while standing in red circles and failing to dodge the big slow build up attacks that you can see coming for ages so it's very hard to get a grasp on how well the combat flows. Then the rare video you find with someone who can play and doesn't spend all their time running around like a chicken with their head cut off waiting on their heal to cooldown is in a very low quality video or has been severely edited. :(

Actually looking forward to this game. I enjoyed GW1 and completed the main story chain of quests with all but two classes.

I mainly like PvE but the world vs world vs world looks very interesting and might get me into PvP. The co-oprative story questing sounds like it would be fun too.

No game has got me this excited prior to release, ever. Well maybe Neverwinter Nights and Battlefield 1942 got me as excited but for an MMO this game looks to have the most love put into it by the Devs as any I have seen.

I have to admit the gunns and gunpowder put me off at first but its grown on me, fitting the technological advancements of 250 years since the original GW's setting.

Anyways I was looking at Guild Wars 2 videos and came across a fan made compilation video that highlights how HUGE and how Beautiful the game will be. I just love the epicness of the cities and the art. Enjoy

Hope you enjoyed that fan made compilation. I was like "wow that looks amazing".

For you guys that havn't seen what GW2 will be like yet I recommend watching the PAX East 2011 convention videos as they explain alot about the game development.

What I noticed the first time watching these videos was the passion and love put into it by Arena Net Devs.

Points to note about the vids.

1. fully persistant mmo and instanced is reserved for more focused story telling and dungeon content .

2. Jumping and swimming which ads to combat and more so when exploring the world you will come across platformer type mini games to get to places unexplored and possably a final boss or treasure chest.

3. Buy the game no monthly fee.

4. More customisable character creation.

5. Personal Story choises effect your home instance.

6. Questing is done by Dynamic event system that can occur which branch out and change the PVE world depending on the victory or failure of players in a chain of events.

7. More Active combat, for example dodging and manovouring.

8. 60 feature films of dialoge recorded

9. 5 man story mode Dungeons which can then be replayed on a harder none linear mode.

10. PvP and World vs World vs World PvP

11. Scaled content

PAX East 2011 part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgPS1jHUMbw...feature=related

PAX East 2011 part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lctnKVlj-Zs...feature=related

PAX East 2011 part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMFqmxXP71c...feature=related

Not long ago there was the Press Beta weekend which you got to see alot more game play infomation.

From them my favourite was Yogscast videos. watch and enjoy.

Norn part 1

Charr part 1

Human part 1

Necromancer

Engineer

Mesmer

Thief

Guardian

Ranger

Elementalist

Warrior

Got my Pre-purchase of GW2 yesterday. Pretty excited.

The Standard digital Edition cost me $59.99 USD and linked/registered my GW1 account to it.

At first I had a 502 Error but finally got though to register (account link) after a few tries. Seemed the servers where inundated.

https://buy.guildwars2.com/

Currently looking for a guild to join. Preferably a more local guild in Perth, other wise an Aussie guild with some VOIP chat like ventrillo. Interested in PVE and WvW.

When I get into a beta event I will post back here and let you guys/gals know how it goes.

Any one else getting this game?

So many questions I need to find out. Mainly if they are going to have any Australian servers. Really need to know this because where you roll your first character, the server its created on, becomes your home server for WvWvW.

Any one else getting this game?

So many questions I need to find out. Mainly if they are going to have any Australian servers. Really need to know this because where you roll your first character, the server its created on, becomes your home server for WvWvW.

There seems to be a mess at the moment with people linking accounts with xxx@ncsoft or xxx@plaync accounts, but I'm sure they're getting on that quicksmart.

An Oceanic server is just about pointless (from a WvW pov). Everyone rolls on the one server and then there's no one around to fight during primetime and it becomes just a rolling pve zerg snorefest, capping all b.o's ala Warhammer or ToR only to find at the end there's no one else left to take them off you. The ping is supposedly fine for back stabbing style rogues, so that shouldn't be an issue.

There will also be tunnelling services guaranteed as well. Should drop the ping to sub-200 which is more than acceptable in PVP for melee characters.

Ordered the Digital CE for $79.99 or whatever it was, pretty good buy really. Looking forward to the next beta weekend!

Quote from games.on.net forum.

The official Australian site for Guild Wars 2, run by distributor QVS, has been spotted toting a small announcement in their FAQ about Australian servers. The answer claims that the game will feature local cache servers located in ANZ for players to download game data from, but that players will still be required to actually play the game on a US server. While a good step in terms of patching times, it's unfortunately not the full local hosting announcement we were all hoping for. We'll keep you posted if anything changes.

The better weekend event for pre-purchases I've seen discussed on some forums as likely being the 20th or the 27th. I havn't had an email or seen anything confirming the dates yet. Crossing fingers for the 27th as I should have all of that weekend free.

Unsure what professions and races I want to play yet, so will be using this time to try out at many as possible. I'm favouring the elementalist and guardian at the moment but they all seem cool but with only 5 character slots im thinking, ele, warrior, engineer, necro and guardian.

I think the game is going to have areas that are mega hard. I've watch a lot of videos (press beta 2) and you have to be really fast in dodging/ selecting the right skill to avoid damage, make 2 mistakes and your down. Slightly concerned about the rate of respawns. I was watching some videos where they were still in a fight, and they can take some time to defeat a mob and the previos mob had respawned already. In PvP its really going to help if you know how the other profesions skills and there skill animations, a pro player will beable to spot an animation and react to it using there own skills to counter but there is such a small window of reaction time. As seen in this vid of Preview with Jonathan Sharp with some other game devs. Im a bit worried I'll never get to that skill level and even he is having some dificalties in parts. PvE at the start and some PvP at the end.

Some of the tours of the cities are breath taking too. The level of detail is just jaw dropping. Lots of little things going on. Exploration is going to be great fun and rewarding too, with secret places and hard to get to locations. SUPER PUMPED bring on BWE.

Edited by Harro2

I'm pretty excited over this game. I've been a big fan of Guild Wars and it's good to see there's a new iteration coming along the way.

BWE starts Noon (local) -8GMT on the 27th.

WA is +8GMT thats 4am

EST is +10GMT thats 6am

Im a bit confused, sorry if this sounds stupid

But would that be 4am-6am Friday morning or saturday morning?

I guess it morning Saturday 28th for us Aussies as we are ahead in time?

Edit

Might need to try and get monday off work :D

Edited by Harro2

I am definitely excited for this game. Everything looks great. The classes look fun, the world looks fantastic and combat seems really solid. Having such dynamic content should not only make leveling fun, but make leveling alts less of an ordeal.

One thing that will kill it for me and I've said it a million times before about other games in the genre is the movement controls, the fluidity of the movement, the animations of the abilities and how they tie into one another, how the global cooldown system works etc. Those are the reasons that WoW PVP has been so successful, Blizzard nailed it!

Pretty much this right here. Having played WoW for the better part of 4 years, as well as Rift, SWTOR and aion, I must say that this is the main reason why I have always favoured WoW. Rift looks beautiful and the classes are great. Aion has some fun mechanics. SWTOR has amazing story and the gameplay is very good. But when it comes down to it WoW has much more fluid controls and the animations feel more natural. In most cases the story of a mmo and everything else gets boring and the main reason you continue to play is to either raid or pvp, and when you get to that point in the game controls and what you see over and over is extremely important. SWTOR is heading in the right track, and I do enjoy it a great deal, but it's just not the same when it comes to controls and movement (god help me the jumping animations need to change).

Regardless I will buy the game and give it a go, can't wait.

thanks Ihsan.

Combat looks pretty engaging in my opionion. You have to constantly be on the move, positioning your self to avoid being hit. Tyring to flank your foe and dodge when you see a telegraphed animation or use a skill that mitigates the hit like a block or knockdown.

In a team I imagine you would be constantly taking point and swaping out with other palyers. Sorta like Tank then kite then heal while your mate takes that role of tank then kite then heal kind of rotation.

cheak this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR0-S9SQCW4

In this video watch how the warrior falls back to miss the spinning attack of the drake.

the guardian tank and spank vs the warrior who moves and dodges. The guardian neerly gets defeated and would have if the warrior wasn't there.

LoL at "Ert eat your family" The warrior solo's this one and neerly gets knocked down. If she wasn't moving and dodging she would have certainly been defeated very fast.

Whats cool about this stuff your doing this at lvl 1 to lvl 80.

Raiding is different, you have 5 man dungeons so its easyer to form a core group of team mates. Then for larger grouping GW2 has Dynamic events that may need 20 or more players for the big bosses. Your roles could be to defend the NPC that repair the siege equipment, manning the cannons/catipults, taking out the bosses spawned allies, reviving your allies and stuff like that. Your group dynamicaly form to whome is in the area and can contribute so your not waiting in a LFG chat box, you just play the game and grouping naturally.

Update

At the time of writing this the first Pre-purchase BWE starts in 10hr 50mins and counting :D Ive downloaded the client a couple of days go.

I found out Anet has been adding patches already so be sure to open your Gw2 application to keep updated before Launch just incase.

Iv'e had the Log In screen left open so I can listen to the music over and over :P The music is sooo awsome, the second song is very dreamy and I feel emotional listening too it, I get a tingling on the top of my scalp and neerly feel tiery. lol. Jood job Jeremy Soule.

Music 10/10

EDIT

Just found a compilation of song list on youtube, turn the speakers up :D

The one I was talking about in the login screen I think is number 20 "Special Track 2" but its not the full song :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl3RQyIjwp0...C30AFF59AA2404F

Edited by Harro2

Can't believe after all these years of waiting Guild Wars 2 is finally within reach.

And yes the music is so freaking epic. Gah, so excited.

Hmm the open beta this weekend is/was a bit of a let down. Mostly due to the frame rate issues (8-20 FPS 3.2 i7, GTX 570, 8GB RAM) and no choice of what world channel to join which meant that when the main channel is filled players get randomly placed in one of the many overflow channels, making it totally impossible to team up with friends and stomp. Also there is no ping meter... or i couldn't find it if it was there.

There was some issues with users who has previously been included in the closed beta and character world transfers not working. But this was fixed within the first 8 hrs.

So, it's off to a good start, if they smooth out the social aspects and get the performance on par with GW1 it should be solid. I look forward to future beta weekends to see the progression.

Oh and on a side note, I find the arena.net support ticket system one of the most over-complicated and impracticable systems of all online support systems I've used.

I enjoyed my Warrior, but PvP wise, was a disappointment, it was hard to aim my charge and lag wise made it harder for me to time my burst, it seems that Range classes are the ticket here which I didnt hope but it seems I'll be rolling either a necro or an elementalist at this point.

Well my BETA weekend experience is over....and loving it.

It has been a huge learning curve, just getting used to the controls and learning your skills results in lots of defeats. Id say it took me 4-5 hours to learn the controls and when you get your timing right and your skill use right combat is so fun and rewarding. I realised that you should never ever, I repeat never stand still in combat. Your low on health, what do you do? Get the FU out, kite, dodge, use the environment as a shield what ever you got to do to survive... just long enough for your self heal and then your back in the fight. It's totally epic.

RE: Warrior. You have to evaluate the situation, weapon swapping is a must. As a warrior your skilled in combat, effective in mellee and just as good with the bow/gun. You should'nt need to change proffesion to go ranged. They are all ranged classes. Switch into mellee when the fight seems right to go toe to toe. How ever you might find your choise of profesion lacking and not how you imagined it would be. My choise was elementalist and/or Guardian and I found it wasn't enjoying it to much so I rolled a engineer. One of the profesions I had on my list of least wanted to play. It is now my favourite for how I like to play. So yeah try the elementalist or necro, dysfuntionl16, it might suit you better. The elementalist is hard to play but they are very effect in a group.

Running out of time as I could write so many good things about GW2.

--Interesting point I found in game---

1. In a char area, there is a char scientist/engineer developing a cow launcher/catipult. Your mission is heard the cows into a pen area, then you see him lauch a cow. Laughted my ass off watching it fly into the distance.. unfortunatly the cow unsettled the local wild life and a group of harpies come and attack so you now have to defend the cows. Just an example of the dynamic events and how they interact in the world.

Ran out of time will ad more later.