Sign in to follow this  
Girvo

Zimbra/Alternative on a web host?

Sup all.

I've only just recently been getting into networking, servers, hosting, etc. in a big way, because work kind of threw me in the deep end.

This one is more of a personal question though. Lets say, I get a web host for development purposes, that I also want to host a Zimbra installation to manage company email and PIM accounts. Can that work? I've read people saying that because Zimbra is so I/O dependant, it is better served by keeping it in it's own VM. What sort of hardware would I need for that? The sites it will be hosting are not production sites, it's more going to be using the server for a Central Git repo holder, that sort of thing more so than anything else.

Also, does anyone here have experience with Zimbra? I'm considering it, so that if I expanded things I could easily create managed accounts for new employees, recurring contractors, etc.

I could just be over-engineering the problem, but Google Apps has never been very nice on my devices. Something with CardDAV, CalDAV and IMAP IDLE would make me super duper happy I think, as nearly any device is then supported.

Any other alternatives?

Just FYI, ended up setting up a 512Mb/30Gb/2.4ghz VPS with Webmin + Apache + Postfix + Dovecot + Roundmail + ownCloud (for CalDAV and CardDAV). All I'm waiting on is a desktop syncing client for WebDAV (Syncany is promising) or for ownCloud directly, then I'm set.

Of course, CardDAV and CalDAV support across mobile devices is a bit lax (Android isn't bad, and the iPhone is excellent I believe, but my N9 misses out), but I have some ideas to overcome that. Worst-case, I hook up Z-Push to it, and then I'm done.

I'll let you all know how it holds up, if you're at all interested.

Only just saw this thread. Don't venture in here often.

I use Zimbra at my work after being thrown in the deep end. Served us well enough but we've moved on to use Google Apps for our primary email setup.

Still using Zimbra for some small other domain websites we run. It's not bad as an all in one easy to setup sort of thing (good for linux initiates like myself). Problem was/is spam. Try as I might to stem it, the never ending tide of spam pushed us into using a hosted service, hence the gApps move. Ties in really well with Android phones and tablets too which we're transitioning over to now from Blackberries, so that's pretty sweet. Costs a fair bit more ($50/year/user I think) (coming from 'free' self hosting) but the integration and complete lack of spam plus not having to worry about updating the blasted mail server software stuff makes it worth while imo.

Will be interested to see how you go with your setup.

ownCloud I saw on a video podcast recently. Looks quite interesting. Does some of the things Zimbra does in document sharing and calendars etc, but has way more features, like editing files in the browser and the whole dumping files into "the cloud" drop box style type thing plus more. Like the guys on the podcast said though, it just needs mail server integration and it'd be a great free gApps replacement.

Video is HERE if you're interested in watching.

Out of curiosity how many users you catering to?

Not sure, but I'd say 512MB RAM might be a bit lean for a mail server. Zimbra certainly needs 1.6GB (OS included) to comfortably work.

There's a reason why Exchange is so widely used.

I'll just leave it at that ;)

Because it's cheaper and so open and non proprietary?

Because it works and has the best feature set available ;)

Granted, you pay for it... But that's true with the best things in life. With zimbra, you just pay for it in different ways.

Granted, you pay for it... But that's true with the best things in life. With zimbra, you just pay for it in different ways.

lol, yeah true.

There's a reason why Exchange is so widely used.

I'll just leave it at that ;)

Hehehe, I once used to run an SBS2003 server at home. But yknow what: all of these solutions are just for me. The only reason I do them is I have a LOT of client devices, and like them all to be in sync ;)

Just to let you all know, the setup is still going well, everything is working, no weird issues so far. IMAP is serving all my needs at the moment, and this VPS is kicking arse for now. Probably going to push it a bit further at some point.

Still wish there was CardDAV sync on MeeGo, but I'm likely switching to an iPhone very soon anyway, so no big deal.