Sign in to follow this  
Sty.x

Freezing Issues

Hey guys girls , i got a laptop which only gets used here and there anyways my son pulled it off the couch onto a wooden floor boards and before it had its drop it worked fine and now as soon as i turned it on it froze,. then i put it into safe mode did a system restore to a previous month and yet evertime i turn it on it freezes. What i wanna know is there anyway i fix this problem i carnt be rooted geting a new laptop.

probably just a dodgy hdd given it took a bit of a drop. you should be able to replace it with an SSD or similar mechanical drive. this will mean an OS reinstall though.

if you want to be sure, find out what kind of HDD it is (device manager) then go download that manufacturers tools and run a test.

I had a similar issue with an external drive, it got dropped too in the end I had to recover all the files with 3rd party software then reformat the HDD that might not be your particular issue though. So when does it freeze exactly? Can you get into BIOS or run knoppix from a CD? Have you done a chkdsk?

Yeah bad harddrives cause all sorts of problems with windows,I resently had a bad 2tb drive on it's way out and windows was freezing about 10 times a day,the Hard Disk Sentinel program said it had 268 bad sectors,anyway as soon as I unplugged it from the pc all the freezing went away.