te0p

Building website...which program?

Everyone keeps telling me to use Wordpress to build my site, last time i made it in Frontpage express.

I installed Wordpress on my server (webhost) and it is quite nice, need to learn it a bit more, but other wise i like it and shouldnt take me long to make up the template, graphics etc.. in photo shop...im not exactly sure what i need at this stage but some people make some cool sites.

But i was looking at Joomla and it looks pretty cool too.... i know both of these programs are more Content managment systems., but it seems like you can pretty much build a website/presence with either progamme quite easily with just a little from some graphic editing software etc..

Am i right to use this type of software to build my site?

Any opinions on either of this software or can anyone reccomend anything else before i commit to learning one of them?

Thanks.

Without you saying exactly what it is your 'site' is going to do, yes. Any of the popular CMS's is a good option.

I build my own sites in using Umbraco CMS, eg the atomicf1 website for the community of atomic members who like some sim racing. Which CMS you use comes down to how much you want to spend on licensing costs and your level of technical ability.

You can also mix and match your technology. I built this using both ASP.NET MVC for the bits that needed to be "intelligent" and Umbraco CMS for the content parts (handled using a 404 error handling mechanism).

Edited by grazer

First, what do plan to do with your site? What features do you want?

Wordpress is a little more blog orientated but has grown to have some extensive features. Joomla stems from from a CMS base as you mentioned. Both maybe more OR less than you need depending on what you want to do with your site.

It is for my buisness ...Paving, landscaping.

Pretty much the basics..

Home/

Which would have the latest job on there.. or products

Services/

With a few sub categories of what we do.

Projects/

Job photos etc..

Contact/

address etc..

Thats is pretty much it...so nothing to major.. i was told Wordpress is good becuase i can link it up to Facebook, youtube etc.. really easily because of its blogging origins.

Are you going to be selling anything? How often will you be posting things?

I think either will do the trick, both more than enough for what it sounds like you want to do. I think it will really come down to a personal preference. I know that doesn't help much, have a go of both and see what you think. I would maybe leaning towards Joomla or Drupal, but that's just me (to be honest I like writing from scratch).

Becareful with Facebook links etc. Only have a Facebook page if it is going to serve your customers well. Don't have one just for the sake of having one. Remember Facebook is a community thing and is two way link between you and your customers. So you need to delivery unique content and replies, don't just spam Facebook posts. Can you really see your landscape customers following you on Facebook???

Are you going to be selling anything? How often will you be posting things?

I think either will do the trick, both more than enough for what it sounds like you want to do. I think it will really come down to a personal preference. I know that doesn't help much, have a go of both and see what you think. I would maybe leaning towards Joomla or Drupal, but that's just me (to be honest I like writing from scratch).

Becareful with Facebook links etc. Only have a Facebook page if it is going to serve your customers well. Don't have one just for the sake of having one. Remember Facebook is a community thing and is two way link between you and your customers. So you need to delivery unique content and replies, don't just spam Facebook posts. Can you really see your landscape customers following you on Facebook???

I dont even use facebook, but i had it mentioned to me as a good reason to use wordpress...especially because of the "networks" it can create for new work.

But i have plenty of work... and i pretty much agree with you...not exactly something that will be followed on facebook.

I have been looking at Joomla demo and it seeems pretty nice. i have a bit to learn.

Allready uploaded Wordpress and it is pretty easy so far... but only installed it and have the basic stuff up and running... so i havent made any templates etc..

I think i am leaning to joomla...but want to learn more.