Sign in to follow this  
Avliden

GPU about to die doing a cheap temp upgrade

Howdy folks, My old 4870 is about to shit itself and I've been out of the tech scene for a while so I have been googling a fair bit but I'm not getting many answers.

My 4870 is a little beast I haven't had a game that didn't run well on it. Including todays games. Been playing Syndicate on High and Skyrim on High.. what else... Finnished The Darkness 2 on max.... ahhh Battlefield 3 was on High minus a few settings.

You get the idea anyway.

I'm looking at a GPU for around 100 (No more for now I only just started a new job and havent been payed.) It is pretty urgent as the card is shitting itself again as we speak. (Artifacts -> Overheating)

I was looking at the 6770, it looks pretty nice but if somone could clue me in. I just want one that will do the job untill I get some pay days under my belt.

Cheers!!

Edited by Avliden

Howdy folks, My old 4870 is about to shit itself and I've been out of the tech scene for a while so I have been googling a fair bit but I'm not getting many answers.

My 4870 is a little beast I haven't had a game that didn't run well on it. Including todays games. Been playing Syndicate on High and Skyrim on High.. what else... Finnished The Darkness 2 on max.... ahhh Battlefield 3 was on High minus a few settings.

You get the idea anyway.

I'm looking at a GPU for around 100 (No more for now I only just started a new job and havent been payed.) It is pretty urgent as the card is shitting itself again as we speak. (Artifacts -> Overheating)

I was looking at the 6770, it looks pretty nice but if somone could clue me in. I just want one that will do the job untill I get some pay days under my belt.

Cheers!!

If it is a overheating problem, like i had with my previous card where the fan completely stopped working, then I would jerry-rig a fan to it. Before you say anything about it, it did work for months till i could buy a new GPU for the system. Sure youll might have to leave your system open for a bit and maybe leave it lying down but id rather do that temporarily than buy a card that im going to use temporarily till I buy a new one considering that the fan is much cheaper than buying a new card which I would rather be doing.

Haha, funny you should say that dude. I have a PC fan cable tied to the heatsink along with a House fan laying on its side blowing inside the case. Its all I can do to keep it running for a respectful amount of time.

Oh to add to the origional post. I've always wondered if you can use one of those CPU watercooling kits like the Corsair ones to cool your GPU?

Any sub $100 card is going to disapoint you, compared to your 4870 when it was working well.

Maybe you should just buy the cheapest card you can, while saving for a "good" card.

5770/6770 is a little faster than a 4870, so it's not a downgrade.

Thanks, the kids might be getting an upgrade from on-board at that sort of money for an upgrade;)