Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
TheMojorising

Alternative to iPhone....

Anyone here armed with a fairly new phone that isnt an iphone?

Looking for opinions and recommendations on such due to my current phone (iphone 3gs) slowly turning itself into a fancy looking paperweight with the battery dying at 60% charged and other annoying things.

I'm asking for opinions on other phones cause I dont know if I wanna go down the iphone path again, however if you seem to really enjoy the newest Iphone feel free to tell me I guess. I could be persuaded...

I'd be starting a new contract and wouldnt want to spend more than what I do now (approx 70 a month)

I got a samsung galaxy S2 the other week, its pretty cool although the battery does die fairly quickly and it gets quite warm, heavy use you'd probably struggle to get a day out of it but I get ~3 days usually cause I don't use it for anything more than just an expensive phone.

Windows Phone 7 is an awesome system and the Nokia Lumia 800 is a great looking phone that feels good in the hand. Bought a HTC Trophy 7 to check out WP7 and I really like it. When my plan runs out in a few months I'll be looking to get a blue Lumia 800.

Posted Image

Or maybe a Nokia 808 ... my digicam is getting a little long in the tooth.

Posted Image

Edited by thesorehead

I've recently been playing around with a few different phones, some for work and some for personal use; HTC HD7 (Windows), HTC Sensation (Android), Samsung Galaxy S and S2 (Android), the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android) and, of course, the latest iteration of the iPhone. We're replacing our company's Blackberry fleet, so we tested the HTC HD7 and iPhones. We're a Windows house here so we went with the Windows phone. Before this, I'd never touched an iPhone so I don't have much to say about those.

The HTC HD7 is physically a very nice phone - it feels nice and solid in the hand, and I don't feel like I'm using some cheap plastic thing. The Windows OS is nice, for what it offers. I found it fairly intuitive to learn, although perhaps lacking in some of the more gimmicky, stylised or customisation features that other phones have. For example, putting a custom ringtone on the damn thing was not intuitive, to say the least. I use mine for work and I'm happy with what it does.

Quick quiz: which company/companies is/are known for being fun and out-there, and which company/companies is/are known for being more conservative and just not as fun? If you answered Apple and/or Google for the first part, and Microsoft for the second, you'd be correct! :-) To my mind, this is not a fun phone like the iPhone or Android phones are known for being. The interface is pretty standard and once you put your icons where you want them, just about the most you can easily do to customise it is change the colour. However, it is literally a smart phone and whatever points might be taken off because of a lack of "fun" gimmicks, I think it can easily win back in uncluttered design (hey, I like clean interfaces).

I'm personally in the market for a new phone and since my boy has a Samsung Galaxy S, I've looked into the Samsung Galaxy S2 as a potential upgrade for myself. I'll be honest, I really like it, so maybe what I have to say is biased. However, I think it's just a good quality phone - it feels nice, it's not too big and I can even navigate it one-handed with my little girly hands. Android is Android - you'll love it or hate it. Personally, I found the Windows mobile OS a little too restrictive and I enjoy using Android, but that's a matter of personal preference so I won't preach on that front :-) However, one thing to keep in mind is that the Galaxy S2 is a bit of an older phone now - that's a small drawback in my mind, but it may not matter to you. It's not "old" by any means, and it's not outdated, but it is several months old and it doesn't natively run the new Android OS (Ice Cream Sandwich). How much that matters is up to you :-) Also, and again this is subjective, the camera/picture quality is average to good on the S2 - it's "good enough" but it's not great.

And of course, there's the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It's running Ice Cream Sandwich, which is veeeery nice. ICS is not your mother's Android OS - there are a number of significant design and interface changes. I like it, but I don't own an ICS device (yet? who knows... ) so all I can relate is what I've seen from playing in stores. It's a little bigger than the S2, and I think it's fractionally bigger than my HD7, but not prohibitively so (remember, I have little hands :-p ).

In a similar price bracket and spec is the HTC Sensation - this is quite a nice little phone. It's physically quite a bit smaller than the HD7 or Samsungs I've mentioned, which is actually something I like and loathe in equal parts. I like it, because it being smaller makes it easier for me (transportation, pocketability, and useability), but I notice it does have an impact on how I use the device (browsing, in particular).

I'm finalising my choice this weekend so these are just my observations based on investigations for personal use, as well as playing around with my work phone, so I might not be much use to you :-) Good luck - it can be a bit of a frustrating hunt sometimes, but hopefully you find a shiny new toy that you enjoy :-)

edit: I should mention that I'm looking to jump ship from Optus to Telstra, and so any mention of price brackets that I've made are specific to Telstra.

Edited by elvenwhore

Get any phone with Android 4.0, and you'll be happy. The Galaxy Nexus/SII/Note either run ICS or will get it soon, and are nice to use. Get the Galaxy Note if you're fine with the massive size, because it combines a spectacular display with a powerful SoC. But be warned, you absolutely must try one before you buy it.

The build quality on the HTCs is amazing. These things are a lot hardier than the Iphones. The newer ones aren't as prone to screen breakage as the olds iphones but still a lot less hardy than any of the HTCs. I've only had a little play on an older Galaxy S1. It has a lovely large screen, and feels solid too (and apparently is, according to owners I've spoken to. Plus Apple are evil - no really, their employees (technically their contractors' employees) are shafted every which way but Sunday (as in poisoned, massive overtime for no pay, etc, etc) - so don't support that bollox, and go with HTC who, based on my research, are a much more socially responsible company.

I put ICS on my Desire HD.

Very nice. Some good features, but I miss some of the Sense features now. :(

What is the big deal about this ICS? Im assuming its referring to Ice Cream Sandwhich which sounds delicious.

Yep, android versions are named after desserts. ICS is a lot more polished than previous versions thanks to Matias Duarte

I am complelely new to Andriod phones and thus wouldnt know the firs thing about them

so was I, its pretty easy though once you spent a few hours using it.

Picked up the Galaxy Nexus on the weekend - am very happy with it :-) Wasn't inclined to wait for the "next" batch of phones considering my old phone had died to the point where it wasn't accepting or making calls, rendering it almost useless.

The Nexus is a largeish phone, granted, but I'm ok with that and I'm not finding it prohibitively big. It's also quite light, quite a bit lighter than my HTC HD7 and yet, it doesn't feel cheap and horrible for it. It's just a nice, nice bit of gear. This means my last 3 phones (inclusive) have all been Samsung, which is weird but *shrug* hey, I got a Nexus :-) I'm happy :-)

edit: also impressive is the battery life on the Nexus. Charge-for-charge, it's kicking the arse of my HD7. Like :-)

Edited by elvenwhore

Picked up the Galaxy Nexus on the weekend - am very happy with it :-) Wasn't inclined to wait for the "next" batch of phones considering my old phone had died to the point where it wasn't accepting or making calls, rendering it almost useless.

The Nexus is a largeish phone, granted, but I'm ok with that and I'm not finding it prohibitively big. It's also quite light, quite a bit lighter than my HTC HD7 and yet, it doesn't feel cheap and horrible for it. It's just a nice, nice bit of gear. This means my last 3 phones (inclusive) have all been Samsung, which is weird but *shrug* hey, I got a Nexus :-) I'm happy :-)

edit: also impressive is the battery life on the Nexus. Charge-for-charge, it's kicking the arse of my HD7. Like :-)

Another vote for the nexus here never used android before and I am posting this right now from the nexus. I went from iPhone 3gs to this and I gotta say its awesome. I had the same tossup bw SGSII and the Nexus. Went the Nexus. Its really really good.

Have a Nexus S.. The older brother of the Nexus Galaxy.

I love it. It's VERY open. If you are into unlocking and doing all the fancy things, the nexus series is perfect for that. It's referred to as the 'developers' phone. This is not in the general 'out in the world' sense, but in the 'Google HQ' sense. This means that if google releases something for Android, it is guaranteed to work on their developer phones. (As an aside, I know for a fact that all people at Google HQ got a Nexus S for Christmas from Google in Christmas 2010).

ICS (Icecream Sandwich) is a nice upgrade. The feature which I think always wows people the most (INCLUDING iPhone users) is the 'panorama camera'. Everytime I demonstrate it, I get asked "How do you do that? What app?"

So yeah.. Love my Android, purely because how open it is. Just remember, because it is so open, it's worth googling (HAH) the app you're about to install, before you do so just in case someone has done something malware wise. (Good with the bad and vice-versa)

AD

I've got a Galaxy Nexus also.

Came from a Nokia N900, and have to say it takes a dump on its head and rubs it into its hair... then laughs at it and steals its lunch money.

It's a little more 'closed' than the N900, OS-wise, which annoyed me at first... but I am getting used to it finally.

I didn't like previous Android versions, but ICS is quite nice.

I also get to laugh at my iPhone using friends' puny screens and shatter-tastic glass. :p

Oh, and the 720p screen is nice. :)

Edited by Ezkaton

Have a Nexus S.. The older brother of the Nexus Galaxy.

I love it. It's VERY open. If you are into unlocking and doing all the fancy things, the nexus series is perfect for that. It's referred to as the 'developers' phone. This is not in the general 'out in the world' sense, but in the 'Google HQ' sense. This means that if google releases something for Android, it is guaranteed to work on their developer phones. (As an aside, I know for a fact that all people at Google HQ got a Nexus S for Christmas from Google in Christmas 2010).

ICS (Icecream Sandwich) is a nice upgrade. The feature which I think always wows people the most (INCLUDING iPhone users) is the 'panorama camera'. Everytime I demonstrate it, I get asked "How do you do that? What app?"

So yeah.. Love my Android, purely because how open it is. Just remember, because it is so open, it's worth googling (HAH) the app you're about to install, before you do so just in case someone has done something malware wise. (Good with the bad and vice-versa)

AD

Nexus S here as well.

Great device and doesn't cost an arm/leg either!

I'm using a HTC Sensation. Pretty happy with it. If I had a choice (it's a free phone from work): Nexus Galaxy or Samsung S III

This conversation is relevant to me too, thinking it's time to give the HTC Desire, (just standard, not HD), to a relative, and upgrade.

I've been impressed with the Samsung SIIs I've seen, (I know 3 people with one, so they're doing something right). I've also had a play with a mates iPhone 4S, which was okay, but I just preferred the Samsung.

If there's a Samsung SIII coming out, I think I'll be lining up for it.

Edited by Periander

The great thing about the Nexus phones is that they give you the pure Android experience.

That means no SenseUI, TouchWiz, MotoBlur, etc.

It's less flashy, but it's usually faster, and it's updated more often.

I also get to laugh at my iPhone using friends' puny screens and shatter-tastic glass. :p

GNex has the same glass on the front as iPhone 4 and 4S, actually. Gorilla Glass with an oil-repelling coating.

Granted not on the back, though.

Yeah, everybody I know that has dropped their 4/4S has had the screen shatter though.

I've dropped my Nexus a few times and it bounced... not a crack, scratch, dent, nothing.

That sucks, my iP4 hit the deck tonnes of times before I retired it last Thursday. The only damage done was to the thin band of black plastic trim around the edge of the glass, it's got a few dings in one corner. It was nearly a nightly occurrence for it to slip off my lap, when getting up after a TV or PS3 sesh.

The one time I did get glass breakage was when it slid off the dashboard of the car, and hit one of the runners for the passenger seat. The bastard flipped around just right, so that the middle of the back panel hit the very corner of the runner, dead centre. Apple replaced the back for about $40.

It's more rugged than people give it credit for, at least in my experience.

Also I have read here that the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have Gorilla Glass.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/11/17/ga...-not-a-problem/

Yeah, I thought it might not have been Gorilla brand Gorilla Glass, but it's more or less the same material, toughened, scratch-resistant, etc.