Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
TheMojorising

Alternative to iPhone....

What about mid-range phones? I'm currently looking at getting a new phone between $250-$450, but have no clue. The HTC phones feel nice but seem slightly gimped by their hardware, and the Samsung offerings are the other way round.

What are peoples thoughts on something like the Samsung Galaxy Ace or the HTC Wildfire S?

Edit: What about the HTC Incredible S? It seems to be going for under $400, and seems like great bang for buck.

Edited by 123abc

What about mid-range phones? I'm currently looking at getting a new phone between $250-$450, but have no clue. The HTC phones feel nice but seem slightly gimped by their hardware, and the Samsung offerings are the other way round.

What are peoples thoughts on something like the Samsung Galaxy Ace or the HTC Wildfire S?

Edit: What about the HTC Incredible S? It seems to be going for under $400, and seems like great bang for buck.

The Incredible S is a piece of junk. Do not buy it!

I'd find a Nexus S if I were you.

Yes I've been looking for the Nexus S, but they are hard to come by. I'm guessing the i9023 model is the one to get, I'll have to look around JB or Harvey Norman, surely there will be decent run out prices.

just get one from vodafail or DSE for $299, throw away the sim card they give you though cause it should be unlocked out of the box.

DSE seems the way to go, I'll give the Bondi and Randwick stores a call on Friday.

Damn that Galaxy Nexus deal is tempting, I don't want to spend that much money on a phone yet though.

The Nexus S will be a trial to see how long it lasts before I inevitably destroy it...

Bought the nexus s yesterday. It's a great phone, way faster than my mates galaxy s, and is the perfect size. The battery life is pretty average though, I don't know how a quad core is going to last in the gs3.

I think I'm just going to wait for the automatic update to ics though as I really like gingerbread, orange theme is nice.

Anyway thanks for the reccomendation.

(Thread hijack)

Bought the nexus s yesterday. It's a great phone, way faster than my mates galaxy s, and is the perfect size. The battery life is pretty average though, I don't know how a quad core is going to last in the gs3.

SGSIII will probably be dual core.

SGSIII will probably be dual core.

even if it was QC the bigger overall phone size would allow for increased battery size since iirc its a 4.6" screen? Edited by nesquick

Well I guess I was reading the wrong rumours about the quad. imo battery life should be a higher priority than than the number of cores on your phone though. How is the device meant to be "mobile" if you always need to plug it into a wall?

Well I guess I was reading the wrong rumours about the quad. imo battery life should be a higher priority than than the number of cores on your phone though. How is the device meant to be "mobile" if you always need to plug it into a wall?

Quad cores are quite power efficient, because most of the time half of them are off. Do you really think manufacturers put in 4 cores with the intention that they'll actually be utilised? Nope, it's marketing.

I get around this problem on my galaxy S2 by just being diligent, always make sure no apps are left open, always make sure data roaming is turned off if I don't need it ect, set the screen to turn off during a call, it all helps at the end of the day.

The build quality on the HTCs is amazing. These things are a lot hardier than the Iphones. The newer ones aren't as prone to screen breakage as the olds iphones but still a lot less hardy than any of the HTCs. I've only had a little play on an older Galaxy S1. It has a lovely large screen, and feels solid too (and apparently is, according to owners I've spoken to. Plus Apple are evil - no really, their employees (technically their contractors' employees) are shafted every which way but Sunday (as in poisoned, massive overtime for no pay, etc, etc) - so don't support that bollox, and go with HTC who, based on my research, are a much more socially responsible company.

I'm sorry but 3 of my friends have broken HTC's from dropping them and none of my friends with iphones have broken them from dropping. The iphone build in my opinion is MUCH better. Also if anything goes wrong with your iphone, you book and appointment at your closest store, have a whinge and get a new phone.

I'm not an apple fanboi, I think android is a better OS and I wish I bought a Samsung SII but the apple hating has to stop.

I'm sorry but 3 of my friends have broken HTC's from dropping them and none of my friends with iphones have broken them from dropping.

And I have the exact opposite experience.

What do we learn from this, children? Anecdotal evidence aint worth shit.

Also, apples != oranges. HTC's span a MASSIVE range of phones, Apple not so much. Picking up what I'm putting down?

I've dropped my HTC Trophy 7 once, survived but the trophy has a metal casing not plastic like a lot of HTCs.

Dropped a sensation, trophy, touch diamond, touch diamond 2 and desire and haven't had more than a cosmetic nicks in the corners and the sensation had the end of a button slightly bent but

a: It didn't cause any issues and

b: if it had it is all of 2 mins work to swap the casing (everything but the screen) with no tools needed

I like my Samsung Nexus

but I had not owned a smart phone before so I have no comparison

the battery life is short, ans it is warm when runing apps, but it does recharge very quick

Im a big fan of WP7. Currently running around with a Samsung Omnia 7. Not the biggest fan of the screen though as its a PenTile display.

The Nexus has the same issue I believe, and I would probably shy away from it because of that.

I see optus have plans for Notes at the moment. Wondering whether that may be the way to go, kinda like the idea of having a tablet/phone mongrel...

Today wife walked in to a Telstra store with a couple of months left on a Vodafone contract, and a Sony XPeria X10, (FTR, the X10 wasn't through the Vodafone contract).

Walked out with a HTC Velocity 4G, and a Telstra contract.

She had been extremely disappointed with Vodafone of late, their coverage where we live is particularly bad, and she wanted a change, even though she'd managed to wrangle her last few months of Vodafone contract for free, (I mean free is great; but not if your phone doesn't work at home).

We did a few basic tests, including to various speed test sites, and the iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy SII (non-4G version), and Samsung Galaxy Nexus, were all trounced by the HTC Velocity 4G. And the amount was not just by a bit either; with downloads in Strathpine, (not particularly known for coverage), being in the mid teens for mbps on the Velocity, and low single digits for the others.

She made the decision on the spot.

The speed of the Telstra 4G network is pretty amazing, (I know that 'G' is a very subjective thing... basically it's their best current offering). If there were other 4G phones, it might've been a harder decision; right now though, I'd be surprised if anyone was buying anything else, (although apparently the Samsung Galaxy SII 4G version will be out very soon).

So yeah, if you want an extremely snappy, (processing and downloads), high end smartphone, it's hard to go past the HTC Velocity 4G right now. Go in and play with them and see for yourself.

Edit: Article regards speed: http://smarthouse.com.au/Reviews/Phones/Q4B6D5W7

Edited by Periander