Flouncy

Atomic F1, season 5

bugger about the lizard st8smn :(

Hope you make it for season 5.

Very happy to see my arch nemesis, Fredz, is back in the fray. Never in the history of F1 racing will the position of second last be so hotly fought!

Rofl :) hows ya manual training going? :)

did good myself.. :)

lol, I'm lucky to have a working PC. I am in the middle of revamping my study and the wheel hasn't been plugged back in.

Should have everything back by the end of the weekend...

Anybody ever play over the weekends? I don't have a dedicated sim pc yet, so gonna drag my beast out to my cockpit and give F1 a good old blast, if anyone wants to jump in, add me to GFWL, I'll most likely just jump in a server and do laps until people join or whatever.

Anybody ever play over the weekends? I don't have a dedicated sim pc yet, so gonna drag my beast out to my cockpit and give F1 a good old blast, if anyone wants to jump in, add me to GFWL, I'll most likely just jump in a server and do laps until people join or whatever.

With some of the new rules the FIA has changed this season, a few of us will be needing to get in some laps well prior to the week leading upto melb as such things like auto-to-manual can take some time to get used too. post on here when ur planning to be online etc and we'll try have some races.

Yeah, might have some short races over the weekend. Think I got you in GFWL already. If you do practice alone in single player make sure you practice in GP mode and not Career or Time Trial. I still log in and see people practicing in time trail mode and they should not. The car handles differently when compared to multiplayer. GP is the closest you can get to the multiplayer feel for the car.

Yeah, might have some short races over the weekend. Think I got you in GFWL already. If you do practice alone in single player make sure you practice in GP mode and not Career or Time Trial. I still log in and see people practicing in time trail mode and they should not. The car handles differently when compared to multiplayer. GP is the closest you can get to the multiplayer feel for the car.

I usually start in TT mode just to get an idea of the track and my flow. Then when I'm happy I switch to gp mode

Hey I hope to run a few laps over the weekend as I need the practice when driving without traction control, so keep an eye out for me. Also looking for help with a base setup, not sure what springs and roll bars setting to use.

Cheers

Jasegp

I usually start in TT mode just to get an idea of the track and my flow. Then when I'm happy I switch to gp mode

Mac, IMHO, your time is better spent just in GP mode. The game dynamics are completly different in TT mode and would be more off putting when you jump into GP mode I would have thought.

In GP mode, just do a short weekend so you can set all the same setting used by Atmoic and then just take your time in practice mode.

The movers and shakers, the driver market heats up

It's been barely a week since the curtain closed on season 4, yet the moment the chequered flag fell in Brazil the paddock has been abuzz as drivers and teams alike sure up their line ups for season 5. With all the background information we once again turn to Atomic F1 pundit Jonathan Leggard as he takes a look at the current driver market.

Ferrari

Ferrari were quick to confirm their line up maintaining the partnership with Flouncy and ET ROM au after they secured the constructors championship in Brazil. Continuity is clearly key and Ferrari will look to build on the teams success in the constructors title by hopefully also being able to challenge for the drivers title.

Red Bull

Red Bull welcome two new drivers to their line up as both Kikz and Bobja0r signed for the Milton Keys team after being lured away from McLaren. Red Bull opting for experience as the team looks to improve after a poor result in season 4. With proven experience they'll look to seriously challenge for both titles this season.

Renault

Renault go into season 4 with one new driver in Modz who leaves the Mercedes works team. Renault also retained the services of current champion Lambo and the line up looks very solid. While winning the drivers title, Renault was however third in the constructors battle and the new lineup is hoped to bridge that gap this season.

Williams

Williams look to strengthen their line up after signing Sora and retaining the services of Eradicator. Frank Williams stated that the team is built around their number one Eradicator, but they wanted an experienced number two to help develop this seasons car. With a stronger line up much is hoped for the struggling team with their last win not since round 18 of season 1.

Lotus

Lotus look to rebuild after a horrid season 4. After going so close to winning the title in season 3, Lotus veteran Ghost has been retained with former Ferrari driver Mac Dude joining the team. With a more solid base now much is expected from Lotus this season. while they did enjoy a fantastic victory in Monaco last season they'll be looking for much more to seriously challenge the front.

Toro Rosso

Toro Rosso is a team that was absent from the grid in season 4, but with refocussed energy they've signed rookie JasonGP to their line up for season 5. It will be a rebuilding process with team boss Franz Tost stating that it would take time for the team to get up to speed. A second driver has yet to be announced.

Mercedes

A huge blow to their campaign this season, Mercedes lost ET ROM au half way through season 4, and Modz recently signing for Renault. Ex Lotus and Toro Rosso driver FredFrog makes the move over the works team as they also look to rebuild. Mercedes are yet to name a number two.

McLaren

McLaren lost both their drivers with bobaj0r and Kikz moving to Red Bull Racing and after losing the drivers and constructors championships last season will look to start afresh after signing NukeJocky and NightKid. A very young team NightKid making his debut in season 4 with NukeJocky a rookie in his first season. The rebuilding process will take time, but Whitmarsh is confident that his new line up has plenty of potential.

Waiting on the side lines

Rookie Caelum is yet to sign a contract, however with several teams looking interested it seems only a matter of time before he makes his Atomic F1 debut.

Nobody after leaving Renault is yet to find a home, however with his experience several teams have flagged interest and it looks likely he'll find a home at a team looking to rebuilt.

That seems like a crazy amount to pay for timing. If it was like $10 I'd have to think about it, but $30?

Couldn't be assed making a new thread about this and noticed that the atomic F1 site has a review section which is fairly empty, so threw this together today while bored.

Review: Next Level Racing GTextreme Racing Cockpit

The Next Level Racing GTextreme Racing Cockpit, herein referred to as the GTextreme, is Next Level Racing's most expensive Racing Simulator Cockpit coming in at $650AUD. It is $50 more expensive than the GTpro, but only seems to feature a different racing seat. Everything else in the package seems identical.

After the initial construction of the Cockpit, which took longer than it should have due to some screw holes not matching up due to some of the frame being bent (I was informed that this was most likely caused by the Courier, when I received the box it seemed fairly dinted and there was not a whole lot in the way of padding in the box. The box did use reinforced cardboard, however this was not enough to stop damage to the rig).

The GTextreme (And indeed the GTpro) comes with a few optional extras, A black rug to place under the cockpit, a Monitor stand (Officially supporting up to 37" Flat panels, although they do mention users mounting up to 55" TVs on them) and a keyboard and mouse tray (yet to install). The monitor stand was the biggest issue with the construction of the device, as you need to install it onto the frame alongside the steering wheel stand, this took some fiddling and a little grinding with a dremel to get right (Again, this may have been due to bends in some of the steel), the end result was that I was able to get 3 screws to line up and used lots of cable ties as a surrogate for the 4th screw.

Once constructed, the rig feels quite stable, the wheel stand itself is rock solid, as is the base of the cockpit, the only downside seems to be that the monitor once mounted, does wobble quite a bit, this would be due to the fact that the stand is simply 2 poles that go up vertically, I really think some bracing brackets to go between the vertical bars on the wheel stand and the monitor stand would fix this issue. As the extra support bars for the steering wheel were added in V2 of the cockpit, we may see the same thing with the monitor stand in time.

The Wheel stand is essentially an angled 2 bar frame that comes up from the front base of the cockpit as well as 2 support arms that come up from the sides, it then has mounting positions for a wheel mounting plate that is adjustable (a few inches forward or back) The good news here was that it had 2 pre-drilled screw holes for Fanatec wheels as well as the G25/G27 screw positions. Unfortunately the wheel stand does not fold down at all, meaning that if you want to play any other games while sitting in the cockpit ( It is my belief it would be comfortable enough to watch a blu ray or play some games with a standard controller) the wheel will be in the way.

The floor on the cockpit is angled slightly for the pedals to sit at a more natural position, it comes with pre-drilled screw holes to hard mount Logitech G25/G27 Pedals, however no such holes were available for mounting my Fanatec 911 Carrera Pedals, as it does use a flat metal plate for the placement of the pedals however, this was not much of an issue as the rubber grip on the bottom of the pedals stopped it from moving when coming into contact with the glossy finish on the cockpit.

The positioning of the Gear Shifter mounting pole is perfect, with it sitting around lap height and mountable to the left or right hand side of the cockpit. The only downside to this is for anyone using a Fanatec Shifter, there is no way to properly mount the shifter to the pole. I had to use several cable ties and some velcro to get it stable enough. Anyone with a Logitech G27 or G25 however, will have no issues mounting their shifters.

The leather racing seat is quite comfortable and seems good for long sessions, the leather seems to breath and does not cause sweaty ass syndrome after extended play times, even in hot weather. The seat itself is able to slide back around 20cm or so, giving even the tallest people plenty of room to sit comfortably in the cockpit, the seat is fully reclinable as well, which means you can get yourself extra comfortable.

After my extensive play testing with Daytona USA (PSN), Sega Rally (PSN) and Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) I couldn't imagine playing racing games at a computer desk again, the immersion when using a large display and 5.1 speakers is unbeatable and the advantages of a more comfortable driving position really become apparent as soon as you hop into a racing game and give it a spin.

Pros

Comfortable

Fairly basic Design (Easy to put together)

Feature Rich

Stable

Mostly Adjustable

Cons

Wobbly Screen mount

Non Foldable wheel stand

All Adjustable parts require an allen key and spanner to adjust

Not at all portable

Susceptible to damage in transit

90/100

Feel free to put this on AtomicF1 website too.

Edited by NukeJockey

Nice review there, will definitely have to get Kikz to throw it up.

In the meantime my G27 modification is coming along nicely....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice one Lambo, so you've actually mounted through the back surface of the Simraceway straight into the mounting holes on the G27? I know there are some holes on the back of the Simraceway, but surely they don't line straight up with the G27? that would be far too convenient... did you need to make new holes?

Either way, much more elegant than the bracket system I posted in the Season 4 thread. Looks fantastic.

Edited by fallen19

And because I'm bored and I enjoy writing crappy reviews, here are my thoughts on the Fanatec Porsche 911 Carrera wheel.

Review: Fanatech Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel

Big wheel on a small budget?

The Fanatec Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel is Fanatec's latest budget offering. Coming in at $289 AUD and sporting both PC and PS3 compatibility, it becomes a very enticing option.

Out of the box, the wheel features a 6+1 H-Shifter, Plastic Pedals (Clutch, Brake and Accelerator), 2 mounting poles for the Shifter, the wheel itself, the 12v power brick (Including Adaptor) and the cables required to attach everything. Thankfully Fanatec use PS/2 connectors for the Shifter and Pedals and a Printer style USB cable to connect to the PC or Console, this means that if you ever have any issues with cables (Like pets chewing them or running them over with your chair) they're cheap and easy to replace.

The Mounting system for the wheel is quite solid and is quick and easy to remove and attach once initially set up. The mounting system essentially uses an L shaped bracket the width of the wheel base and about half as deep as the wheel base itself, with 2 foldable 'pegs' (I cannot think of another word to name these things) that you flip up to increase the pressure the wheel has on the mounting surface, this bracket is retractable into the wheel itself and is fastened and un-fastened by twisting a knob on the wheel base. Once you get the bracket into the correct position to slide snugly onto your desk, it's just a simple matter of folding up the 2 little pegs to get it nice and tight, to remove it all you need to do is flip the pegs back down and slide it off your desk.

The Shifter has been upgraded since the older 911 Turbo shifter and it is a welcome change, the shifter now feels much sturdier and reinforced, it does not feel like you will snap the stick at all. The mounting system however, is still the same as usual and is in many ways the major down fall of the product. In the base of the wheel are 2 holes that go right across to the other side of the wheel, in these holes you place 2 metal poles, which you then slide the gear shifter onto. On a desk the shifter is designed to sit with a little lip over the edge of the desk, this does offer some stability, but it is a far cry from the mounting system the G25/G27 use. When used on a cockpit, this mounting system is horrible, the bars flex and you often feel like you will break them the next time you shift gears.

Unfortunately Fanatec offer no other mounting options, I had to use Cable ties to mount the shifter to my cockpit.

The Pedals are by far the cheapest part of the package, they offer no way to invert the pedals and they are non-adjustable, even in the slightest. The base feels light and flimsy and the pedals are similar. They did however, get the pressure semi decent on the pedals, with the accelerator being much lighter than the brake and clutch, being a budget wheel solution, the pedals are the last thing you should be thinking about anyway.

And Finally onto the wheel itself. Well, Fanatec have definitely gone budget here, gone is the leather wheel, replaced by thick rubber, which after some use begins to feel sticky. The wheel is no longer wireless (A welcome change in my opinion) and the FFB is no longer belt driven, but uses simple motors, like the G25/G27. This however, does not mean it is a bad wheel. Far from it in fact. The wheel is responsive, it still retains the programmable settings with the LCD readout screen, it still features 900 Degree steering. Budget? Sure. Bad? No.

Once you get into a game and give it a spin, you begin to realise just how responsive the wheel feels, its loud, perhaps the loudest wheel I have heard (Atleast on par with the Logitech MOMO) but boy is it a joy to use. The FFB effects are still great, feeling the rumble of the engine and the bumps on the road.

The LCD lets you set 5 wheel profiles and allows you to change a myriad of options without having to use software. This is great for use on the PS3 and such where many games have very limited wheel settings. The LCD allows you to change things like the Sensitivity (Degrees of rotation the wheel has) from 180 right up to 900, it also allows you to change things like spring and FFB settings, as well as having a new "Drift" feature that allows you to set the wheel to drift mode, effectively making it easier to turn the wheel.

I have encountered one deal breaking issue with my wheel thus far, however I have been informed that this is not common, on days where it's over 30 degrees inside, the wheel overheats and becomes non-functional after around 20 minutes of play. This only happens on hot days though.

All this comes together to make one of the best budget wheels around, it comes in around $20-$120 cheaper than the Logitech G27 and is far more feature rich, the only downside being the shifter mounts and the cheap feeling pedals.

Pros

Feature Rich

Excellent FFB

Big (12")

Easy to replace cables

Convenient Wheel mounting system

Cons

Cheap feeling pedals

Poor Shifter mounting system

Rubber Wheel

Loud

May beProne to overheating

Score

75/100

Nice one Lambo, so you've actually mounted through the back surface of the Simraceway straight into the mounting holes on the G27? I know there are some holes on the back of the Simraceway, but surely they don't line straight up with the G27? that would be far too convenient... did you need to make new holes?

Either way, much more elegant than the bracket system I posted in the Season 4 thread. Looks fantastic.

Yes your very much correct. The holes don't line up. I had to make my own, with a custom bracket. I ripped out the paddles and kept the column of the G27 intact incase I want to replace the G27 wheel. The USB cable will be feed down the G27 shaft to hide it. It lost alot of rigidity when I removed alot of the insides, so there is also a plate to stiffen it. The result is actually very comfortable. The only slight problem is that the LED's don't work in 2011 now. They work in rFactor and simraceway, and I havn't tried Shift or other games yet.

Strangely the feedback I've given on this product so far to Steele is being taken really seriously it would seem.

How much did that wheel cost you?

It didn't cost me anything, I got it from work, we are the sole disty for Steele series in Aus and it was sent as a sample.

Once Im %100 done I'll post complete pics and maybe a vid.

Edited by Lambo