Flouncy

Atomic F1, season 5

yeah mate thats it ....for now

the other actuator was to raise/lower while being hinged at the front , so i'll need to mod it again to suit just the 1

Lookin good dude and yeah, I couldn't wait. Don't have the talent to build one so I bought one :P

haha cool as , if you want any mods done i'll keep ya in the loop regarding my trip .

I just got enough 25mmx25mm box section steel to build another sim. Thinking i might go pro and do a proper job all professional like n stuff ... and then sell it ,possibly with a wheel and pedals

if i can find enough people interested i might make a weekend job out of it , i can see the adverts now 'Custom racing simulator cockpits by St8smn' lol

I'll probably do a thread on the basics of building a cockpit soon.

I'll be your Disty in Victoria :P

Well I finished up with the modified SRW-S1.

I threw up a quick video to show it.

love it lambo looks mad. i hope it works out well in practice :D

@ Lambo, is there any way we could get instructions if we are crazy enough to do a mod like this?

Lotus Renault new driver journal, Taming the Beast.

Friday i had a tooth removed and was told to spend my weekend in bed while my fractured jaw and bruised gum healed. i imminently took this as the perfect opportunity to get my self properly acquainted with this Logitech wheel. In the past i've had a lot of issues getting used to the wheels response time over the 360 controller, so coupled with jumping into manual gears and also attempting to do a car setup it was a 3 way conflict of rage inducing racing.

So friday night i setup the wheel and got stuck into a 50% race at melb with no setup no qualifying and no practice sessions. i ended up 22nd, but what it did was rid my mind of how the car felt when i was using the 360 controller. i think my best lap time was something disgusting like 1.37:9. so today i did the same thing again and felt much much more comfortable with the feel of the wheel and started tweaking the wheels force feedback to a level where i felt i was actually in control of the car.

Once i found the sweet spot i set about learning the Lotus's unique rev's as the car seems to red line soooo fast going from 1st working up-to 4th. Once i got that into my brain as an automatic skill and didn't have to really think much about it i found my braking was... well yuck, i wasn't hitting a single apex or doing any single corner the same each lap. so again, i got it down pat. This was not so much about learning the track as it was learning to use the pedal control and tweaking the wheels settings.

Now i was onto a setup by late arvo/evening. in the end i still have come along way in 2 days and have far more improving to go, but at-least i'm close to realistic race times on primes.

Here's a look at my learning progress using the wheel for real now with a half default setup doped up on nurofen plus :D

Edited by Modz

Took me ages to get the wheel and pedals setup right, I sometimes adjust the settings on the fly via the buttons and display on the wheel ( Fanatec GT3 RS). Also when I'm running without driver aids I need to make changes for that. F1 2010 setting for the wheel were different to F1 2011 for some reason and I bet F1 2012 will be different again. Now I've got it where I like it I have written the setting down as F1 2011 always loose them. I'm still learning how to drive without traction control but slowly getting the hang of it.

Cheers

Jasegp

Nice one Modz. Looking very clean and competitive.

Thats unreal lambo ,looks awsome , i think id prefer a round wheel tho just for rally and 900 degree rotation sake :) top job tho mate

here's a crappy vid of my chair slowly moving . i only get 100mm of adjustment but thats enough

oh and its pretty slow too 19.5 v instead of 24v i guess.

just have to paint it again now...

every single time i launch 2011 it wants me to download gfwl updates or i cant play online.

thing is iv installed them 600 fucking times (almost every week last season) grrrrrrrrrrrr

Edited by st8smn

st8 see if the GFWL update is listed in Windows Update as something new for download and if it is right click on it and select 'hide update' and it won't bother you again.

st8 see if the GFWL update is listed in Windows Update as something new for download and if it is right click on it and select 'hide update' and it won't bother you again.

its the bugfix update for f1 2011 ...i NEED it

all went to shit when my savegame got corrupted somehow

iv tried almost everything execpt a reinstall , until now i just couldnt be buggered

Noice mate. Is it nice to drive with? The LEDs look fantastic.

I did a %50 race distance yesterday to test and it was really enjoyable. It took some time getting used to going from the round wheel to this and while I dont think this will make me any faster (certainly not slower tho) come the season start, however with all the switches on the wheel, KERS and DRS are much easier to hit so that's a plus. It did tire my hands a little but that's mainly due to not being used to this type of wheel. When I started the mod I thought I would probably end up switching back to the G27 wheel, but having played a few different games on it I'm actually going to leave it on. Plus it looks awesome now.

@ Lambo, is there any way we could get instructions if we are crazy enough to do a mod like this?

It was alot of trial and error, and I had the luxury of having 2 x SRW-S1's in case I binned one (Which is a real posibility). The only tools I used was a drill and a bit of MDF. Because of the trial and error the method could be made better, but I'd be happy to post the pictures of the work in progress part so you can get an idea of what it takes to do it.

Thats unreal lambo ,looks awsome , i think id prefer a round wheel tho just for rally and 900 degree rotation sake :) top job tho mate

Ta. I had the same doubts as you that using in a rally might not work well, bu it surprisingly does. The wheel of course still supports 900 degree rotation, but I don't think anyone really needs to rotate that far.

@Modz - Nice work on the manual driving. Sorry about the tooth though, I myself need the same thing soon, that'll teach me for never going to the dentists... Hopefully it won't hurt too much...

@Lambo - Any idea on a local retail price for the SRW-S1 Lambo? or, want to send me the other one you have? ;)

I'm just looking at the Season 4 Melbourne results. How the hell did I qualify 5th, finish 6th, and get down into the 1:25's?????

If that was me, where the hell did I go? I've been extremely slow since haha

Edited by nobody813

I bought a G27 this morning

rFactor is fantastic, but am having difficulties with F1 2011. There seems to be this massive steering deadzone, where I need to rotate the wheel 12-20 degrees each way for anything to happen

What wheel settings is everyone using? I know they'll all be quite different, but may help me with this issue

IN the Logitech Profiler set you Force Feedback effects to:

overall effects 107% - this setting should remove most of the deadspot your experiencing.

spring effect 0%

damper effect 0%

Enable Centering spring in force feedback games (ticked)

center spring strength 0%

I think I run my steering rotation at about 280 degrees...

I'm just looking at the Season 4 Melbourne results. How the hell did I qualify 5th, finish 6th, and get down into the 1:25's?????

If that was me, where the hell did I go? I've been extremely slow since haha

Keep in mind that that was pre patch 1.2. Springs were modelled differently. Thus, everything prior to that patch may be inaccurate. May be. basically it's unknown :)

Pretty much the early races are a clean slate again. I've tried Career again and I've gotten 1:26s on Professional AI. The previous setup wasn't that great as I was sliding a lot so definitely a big change there.

Cool, thanks guys :-)

So Toro Rosso, Force India, Sauber, Mercedes, HRT and Virgin either have no drivers, or only one. Still figuring out where I'll go

Wish one of the above had the Renault R31. Loved that engine

EDIT: It'd probably be better for us to have fulls teams, so I'll probably ask one of the guys on their own if they'd have me as a team mate

Edited by nobody813

I bought a G27 this morning

rFactor is fantastic, but am having difficulties with F1 2011. There seems to be this massive steering deadzone, where I need to rotate the wheel 12-20 degrees each way for anything to happen

What wheel settings is everyone using? I know they'll all be quite different, but may help me with this issue

SWEEEEEEEEET!! now u'll get pro :p