Flouncy

Atomic F1, season 5

HEY NEW GUYS - (and everyone really, but the vets have been through this) -

Need you please to do a speedtest of your net speed and post the results here. What we need to see is an upload speed of at least .8Mbps - higher=heaps better.

This is what you need to minimise/eliminate game issues like warping, and cars being not where they are.

If it's lower, or marginal, you'll have a crappy race experience, and quite likely find yourself smashing into other cars inadvertently.

So we have to make this a rule that you need that to be able to join us.

Hmm, that rule might mean most people can't do this Flouncy. Majority of us aren't on the NBN, let alone anything remotely up to those speeds.

Well I'm out for good then

Ah well

Did you ever issues with warping? I know you had occasional drops, but if your car is stable and accurately positioned on the track that's all that really matters, and you've done enough races to know whether or not your connection is ok in that regard.

Hmm, that rule might mean most people can't do this Flouncy. Majority of us aren't on the NBN, let alone anything remotely up to those speeds.

No. Last time we all did the speedtest IIRC pretty much everyone was over .8.

FYI I'm away from home for a couple of weeks so can't post my own, but I promise I'm well above .8, around 1.5Mbps. I'll do it when I get back for the records.

Also - if existing racers have established they are able to race with no warping that's fine. And, like I said in the OP - new guys need to try some online sessions, preferably with as many other racers as possible, to see how it goes for them.

Posted Image

Well mine is slow but when I race with other Aussie guys it's fine, sometimes when I race overseas players it does get abit jumpy but not all the time. Maybe a test online in the game to see if it's OK. Most of the people outside a big city will only have ADSL1 as I do.

Anybody up for running a few laps tonight ? Need to test my lap and internet speed.

Cheers

Jasegp

Edited by jasegp

This is painful - we don't want exclude anyone who has a solid connection, but applying a minimum upload speed seems the only way to manage it. But we also know that some with slower connections are fine. So test in the game in online sessions, if you haven't already.

Jase if you've never had issues that's fine - but we have to see how we go with all the atomic racers together to be sure. nobody, like I said - tell us if you get regular warping and we'll take it from there.

Like I said, I'm away for a couple of weeks but you guys have a go, or just join with randoms, though best if you get as close as possible to replicating the atomic bandwidth experience as the best test.

We don't want to close the door on anyone - but we don't want iffy connections causing incidents that can wreck the race for other drivers.

Posted Image

boba i thought u and kikz had dark fiber optic anyways heres mine

Posted Image

Edited by timf25

Everyone may disagree with this, but a lot of these lag issues can be lessened with proper communication

I'm having fewer incidents of this type, as I talk to the guys who are close to me. If someone is overtaking me, if I'm be told in advance (not when they're on my tail), it is almost guaranteed that the pass will be done safely

Most times I've been in altercations, is where no one says anything, and expects the car ahead to be exactly where they see it

Posted Image

I'll be crashing into people anyway :D

FYI I'm away from home for a couple of weeks so can't post my own, but I promise I'm well above .8, around 1.5Mbps. I'll do it when I get back for the records.

Also - if existing racers have established they are able to race with no warping that's fine. And, like I said in the OP - new guys need to try some online sessions, preferably with as many other racers as possible, to see how it goes for them.

Fair enough. I think I haven't had an issue where I've warped into someone or caused an accident.

Posted Image

The above is not an indication as this will increase/decrease depending on the people online at the time.

Edited by sora3

Everyone may disagree with this, but a lot of these lag issues can be lessened with proper communication

I'm having fewer incidents of this type, as I talk to the guys who are close to me. If someone is overtaking me, if I'm be told in advance (not when they're on my tail), it is almost guaranteed that the pass will be done safely

Most times I've been in altercations, is where no one says anything, and expects the car ahead to be exactly where they see it

That's true mate if a car is relatively alone on the track, and only has to contend with cars coming up fairly quickly and passing, but the issue really makes itself known when there's close racing going on, and cars around a warping player unfairly have their race wrecked through no fault of their own when a warped car smashes them off.

And close racing is the ultimate goal (wherever you are on the skill tree), not trucking around in your own space on the track. Or else what's the point of it all?

That's what this is trying to overcome.

sora - you're a good example of someone who's never had warp issues (that I've seen or heard talk about at least), but with a relatively low upload. And this is where this gets really difficult. You're ok, take that as a given so you're welcome on the track. I'm just trying to come up with a system that makes it so everyone enjoys a good race. So nobody - that's why I'm asking you if you've got warping issues.

e:

Fucken fuck it. This is pointless. Ghost too has a crappy upload speed by since his upgrade has been fine on the track.

We can't ban someone if they've clearly been in races with no apparent problems because of an arbitrary number.

So everybody can race with whatever connection they have but if there's someone who's obviously extremely fucked during a race, all we (me.. fantastic...) can do is tell em they can't ever race again.

Fuck all this. Just test in game and be honest. The cars I'm talking about are the ones that drive in their own world and never see other cars at all, or when they do they're hopelessly out of position. Like fallen was at Brazil. Or the ones that warp suddenly close to another player out of nowhere, like modz did pretty much every race before he somehow fixed his connection.

So sort it out and test, or front up and accept you won't enjoy a race if the positions are all wrong and there's no point, and don't want to wreck anyone elses.

FIA out.

Edited by Flouncy

lol

Yeah it's a tough one. It is worse for people with low upload speed when there are more people in the game. I don't blink on track for people like kikz and Sora but my car simply is not in the position they see me at. But I have had blinking of Atomic and Eradicator which should really have nothing to do with my upload speed. I believe with the shitty netcode of this game that if you have all competitors with blingingly fast internet upload speed you would still have people blinking and ghosting. Just my opinion.

I'm good with starting at the back again if that helps. I know my speed and I can viciously yell at whoever I deem is holding me up.

Edited by Ghost05

Don't worry about Flouncy. Tis a sticky situation

I wish there was an easier way to see whether or not everyone's online experience will be smooth. Half the issue for me is I don't know if I'm behind, unless others notice it, or I see people smashing at an abnormally high rate :-P

...and you just bought a wheel... so I feel like a cunt. But it's all good. Everything. Always. Good.

like modz did pretty much every race before he somehow fixed his connection.

yeah telstra didnt have our adsl2 ports turned on, once we yelled at them enough they finally looked into it and enabled them and its been fault less in F1 2011 since then.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1812563577.png this is done while fiancee is downloaded star wars at 250kbs too. so normally at 16Mbs DL and 0.90 average upload.

Honestly... From a (my) technical point of view... I think the biggest issue is likely to be the BER of the connection, rather than connection speed. Ping would play a part too, lower the better obviously, due to the lag between what someone sees and where someone *is*, but if BER is over the top, i'm guessing the game AI estimates where someone is, but then when the packets get re-sent due to the BER being resolved for those packets, the car THEN gets warped into where it actually is...

Unless people are able to check what their BER is on their modems though... There's no way to be sure. Some modems likely aren't even able to report BER, and some only through console or telnet/ssh.

The best suggestion that i would have for someone having issues is that they make sure there's a decent SNR margin on their adsl connection... don't go for the highest speed, or highest bandwidth... but go for best reliability.

Posted Image

It looks to me that we may at least have a new benchmark of acceptability.

Perhaps anything below 0.3meg is an automatic out for the sake of the gaming experience of everyone else connected.

Honestly... From a (my) technical point of view... I think the biggest issue is likely to be the BER of the connection, rather than connection speed. Ping would play a part too, lower the better obviously, due to the lag between what someone sees and where someone *is*, but if BER is over the top, i'm guessing the game AI estimates where someone is, but then when the packets get re-sent due to the BER being resolved for those packets, the car THEN gets warped into where it actually is...

Unless people are able to check what their BER is on their modems though... There's no way to be sure. Some modems likely aren't even able to report BER, and some only through console or telnet/ssh.

The best suggestion that i would have for someone having issues is that they make sure there's a decent SNR margin on their adsl connection... don't go for the highest speed, or highest bandwidth... but go for best reliability.

Am I the only one who has no idea what a BER or a SNR Margin is?

Edited by et_rom

Bit Error Rate

Sound/Noise Ratio

Ahh, thank you :)

On warping. If you dont know what it looks like, here is our very own Sora warping

around me in our last race of Season 4. I would like to add that I dont think I had

ever seen Sora warp before this example.

And no, I dont have track IR. That snot my head turning. I'm just animating the crop I use on my vid which is normally 6040x1080 (or something like that)

Weird. I've never seen anyone warp. I've seen my version of events differ to anothers but I don't think I've seen wapring on my screen.

I agree that it's too hard to push a rule that says X Mbps is the cutoff. The internet is too variable for that to stick. As Caelum said, there is SNR and BER in effect too and that's without mentioning random congestion at switches etc that are part of the way the internet works.

definitely if someone is a serial warper or crashing into people - that is if they're impacting on someone elses race on multiple races then it's sensible they get booted from the comp. I also think it's hard to warn people when you're approaching, as a hard rule at least. It should be up to our discretion. I don't want to be behind ghost or mark84 and fighting for position and then let them know I'm setting them up for a pass. It only works when lapping cars, which is something we should probably be doing anyway, seeing as it seems some people don't know what blue flags mean or what the race engineer means when he says "get the fuck out the way bitch. Someone who knows how to drive is coming up behind you" :p