jdog

Project: GIGABENCH

Has anything happened with this Jdog? Has gone very quiet haha. Also, couldn't resist:

Project: FOXBENCH Build Log

I recently acquired a Foxconn test bench. Over the next 1 post, I'm going to show you through my journey in rebuilding it

Step 1 - attach the feet and standoffs

Posted Image

Step 2 - mount something

Posted Image

Step 3 - Profit?

:-P

Off-topic somewhat, I have setup at home a "vintage" testbed. Here's a rather shoddy image of the setup so far

Posted Image

A thread will be created for this soon™

Edited by nobody813

UPDATE: This thread kinda went quiet becuase I was so busy with uni work and then xmas came around a I forgot about it. I have enough gear to build a beta system to test everything but i need a decent PSU to do so so ideas on that would be great.

@noby: nice foxconn test bench im getting one with a blackops im buying..still haven't found a p45-UD3P so the "gigabyte" theme isnt going very well so if anyone has one in working condition that is a rev 1.0 then PM me and ill buy it off you.

I did get a new camera so ill take a pic of my hardware box soon..:D

Edited by jdog

First, Do not buy an Aywun PSU, they suck. my ocz modxstream has served me well though. If you don't have a bench yet, have a look at inwin's limited edition ones, they're incredible.

First, Do not buy an Aywun PSU, they suck. my ocz modxstream has served me well though. If you don't have a bench yet, have a look at inwin's limited edition ones, they're incredible.

im, did you read the thread? :P

The case is my bench,thats why it called that. :P

Also my e6500K and 4GB of Flex showed up today (thanks tunsky, a +1 to you in trademart)

for PSU's im thinking a corsair one but I dont want to spend much but what one that can do everything including quad 295's and 4870X2 X-fire. When I go LN2 ill need a PSU as i might as well get one when I cross the bridge (I am buying pots though)

I have checked out the sticky but im not sure so ideas would be good.

Edited by jdog

UPDATE:

Looking at adding 120/140mm fans to the case sides.

Suggestions would be welcome also PSU suggestions as well.

UPDATE:

So I have finally found a PSU (got a good deal on a AX1200..a little overkill for a start but not what im planing..:D) which should be here soon if all goes to plan.

Once the PSU arrives I will install it and test fit the DFI board,E6500K (or E8400 not sure) and 4GB of OCZ flex ram and install a special version of XP and run some 3D and 2D benchmarks..

once that is done the modding can start..:D

Edited by jdog

is 140mm the biggest you can fit on those sides is it?

I think officially 80mm but I was planning on recutting the sides (all new 4 sides same width and length just taller) to fit maybe 200mm fans. Or would that be overkill?

Edited by jdog

i love 200mm; replace the sides WITH fans; not joking.

how would that work wouldnt I need a mount it order for the fans to fit? also where are good 200mm fans? I thought they where all crap?

whenever ive needed to do that (which is more often than you think making caseless arcade machine PC's), i've just glued one edge to the 'floor'.

These could probably replace one of the perspex sides quite easily:

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listn...2&sid=87372

as for 200mm; most pare pretty good. ant rifle bearing ones will be fine. the Antec BigBoy is OK, theres a lot of options.

whenever ive needed to do that (which is more often than you think making caseless arcade machine PC's), i've just glued one edge to the 'floor'.

These could probably replace one of the perspex sides quite easily:

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listn...2&sid=87372

as for 200mm; most pare pretty good. ant rifle bearing ones will be fine. the Antec BigBoy is OK, theres a lot of options.

thanks for the link, if anyone has any other fan suggustions then im all ears!

I think ill recut the sides though to fit up too 230mm x4 and wont do the fanless idea just to make it look tidy.

this will be used for LN2 benching in the future so it needs airflow so it doesnt get all watery..or Icy..:D

Edited by jdog

the cooler master 200mm fans are quite good, whatever the ons bundled with the enforcer is

the cooler master 200mm fans are quite good, whatever the ons bundled with the enforcer is

they are find for a stock case but im after something with a bit more high flow. thanks for the suggestion though. I was thinking along the lines of delta,scythe etc. Just unsure of models and where to get them,how much and how many etc.

those silverstones are quite nice.

But you're forgetting jdog that one 200mm fan, no matter the quality, will move significant air.

not to mention; look up the airflow results on a few sites. a lot of 'quality' fans are simply lying.

You could try running a 12v fan from 15.5v by tapping the -3.3v rail for the negative?

those silverstones are quite nice.

But you're forgetting jdog that one 200mm fan, no matter the quality, will move significant air.

not to mention; look up the airflow results on a few sites. a lot of 'quality' fans are simply lying.

You could try running a 12v fan from 15.5v by tapping the -3.3v rail for the negative?

yeah what im thinking is having 180/200mm on the sides (2 each side) and having a pair of 120mm on the back of the case. if have a few blowing in a few out then that would work good? (sorry if its a noob question,I am not knowledgeable on fans or air movement etc at all)

@Nukey: those silverstone looks good and the price is fair I guess as well (I have no idea if it is)

Edited by jdog

or just get deltas

deltas have alot of fans, which fans are the right ones? some are better for WC and others for more general stuff and others for high flow "cutyourfingeroff" types.

Update:

case is still sitting in pieces in a box because i will hit in a hard when I go on a break.

but I have some more goodies for it..:D

first up some little tiny fans..I brought 12 but got 20..lol

Posted Image

secondly I added some nice kits of ram to my growing DDR2 collection, a kit of cellshock 1000mhz C4 and 1066 ballstix both D9 IC

here is a pic of my current DDR2 collection:

Posted Image

front to back in the case is:

Ballstix D9 JNL

Cellshock D9GXK

Ballstix D9GMH

OCZ reaper unsure of IC hoping D9GMH

the ram in the packaging is OCZ flex 1150 2x2GB with PSC IC

so thats my little update..

Also heres a little something I picked up a while back..:D

Posted Image

thats all for now..huge update coming in june when I go on holidays..:D

Edited by jdog

So a little update..

PSU is almost here (big awesome AX1200..:D) and also have a bunch of finger choppy fans on the way as well..some crazy fast koolance ones and a few delta/ultra kaze one..:D

so yeah PSU is almost here and fans are in the post and then I can start test fitting some stuff..:D

still hoping to find a GIGABYTE p45-Extreme for DDR2 fun..so far no luck..

Edited by jdog

So a little update..

PSU is almost here (big awesome AX1200..:D) and also have a bunch of finger choppy fans on the way as well..some crazy fast koolance ones and a few delta/ultra kaze one..:D

so yeah PSU is almost here and fans are in the post and then I can start test fitting some stuff..:D

Just get delta fans, i used some in my PC for a week (noise drove me crazy) but it dropped the temps 5-10 degrees

So a little update..

Just get delta fans, i used some in my PC for a week (noise drove me crazy) but it dropped the temps 5-10 degrees

got some koolance ones in the mail and some ultra kaze and maybe a delta or two..:D

So yeah fans are sorted..:D