jdog

Project: GIGABENCH

Massive Picture dump in coming!

Starting where I left off:

I finally acquired the board I was after.a revision 1.1 Gigabyte p45-UD3P. These boards are well known for there overclocking prowess and have been used in many world records and where the board of choice for the GOOC (gigabyte open overclocking championship) in 2009.

(pic holder)

After unpacking the board I test mounted into the case to see if it all fits.

Posted Image

Posted Image

After a successfully test fitting the board I then went ahead and mounted the cooler. The CPU cooler chosen for this build was Noctula's top end NHD14 dual heatpipe cooler. This cooler is huge and quite heavy too! (and very sharp!)

All Noctula Products come with a mounting system called "sucurefirm" which is a simple metal and spring system which makes installing and removing the cooler very simple.

Posted Image

After installing the backplate on the board and placed the 4 rubber mounts onto the mounting plate rods:

Posted Image

I then mounted the 2 metal spring loaded mounts for the cooler to be mounted to and secured the screws to hold it firmly in place.

Posted Image

depending on the way you mount the these bars the cooler can be mounted in different orientations to assist with ram clearance.

Posted Image

The CPU chosen for this board was a famous batch of the well known dual core wolfdale CPU the "E8600" with the batch number of Q820A599

(pic holder)

After applying some noctula NH-1 thermal paste to the CPU I mounted the cooler minus fans (these come later)

Posted Image

Posted Image

After mounting the board with cooler back onto the case I plugged it all in to see if it would work.

Posted Image

Alas,No go..

After many days of trying the figure out what it was I finally found out thanks to a friends help that I had forgot to plug in the power and power reset switch (facepalm)

After getting that fixed up I removed the PSU from the case for troubleshooting and I reconnected everything but with a change of CPU (to a e6600) as I was unsure if the board was alive or dead at this point.

Posted Image

I have hit the image limit for this post so yeah I need someone to post something..:P

Edited by jdog

After plugging everything in again I waited for it to start..and ITS ALIVE!

Posted Image

So I connected the fans to the cooler using the included fans clips which was a pain but I managed.

Posted Image

I then went to check the BIOS to see if everything was fine..and all the drives where working.

Posted Image

they where recognised in BIOS which was a good sign..or so I thought.

As it turn out the disc drive was playing up so after borrowing a working one off a mate I got windows installed and all is well!

Posted Image

Posted Image

The OS I chose was windows XP for starters due to running some super Pi 32M and some 3d mark 01.

Posted Image

a User from the hwbot.org forums named GeneiBen created a portable version of 2D benchmarks which is very handy for quick installation of benching apps.

Posted Image

After that was done I though I would run Super pi 32M to test stability at stock clocks to make sure everything works.

Posted Image

All good!

So here is the final shots! (Cabling was a pain!)

Posted Image

Enjoy!

:D

I had more images but I removed them so that I could get it to post. More pictures on pn the album these pictures are in. Just click on one to see more.

This is it for now untill I figure out mods and cabling. The project is finished for now untill I have more time to do this. the GPU with be swapped for a pair of GTX 295 (dual PCB) soon for some quad SLI fun (which I will install stripped 7 to run)

Edited by jdog

So after all that time you've got an xp machine running?

What was your plans for the ax1200 again?

I hope this wasn't a uni project?