Sign in to follow this  
SquallStrife

Today I experienced the future.

I set up a Google Wallet account, and installed the app on my new phone (Galaxy Nexus). To do so required me to root the device and use an app to allow installing and running region-locked apps from APKs, since currently the service is only available in USA and Canada I think.

When you install the app and create a new virtual Prepaid Card, Google gives you $10 of "welcome" credit.

Posted Image

I paid for a coke, some chips, and a box of bandaids, without even carrying my wallet. I felt like I was from the future! :P

Commonwealth Bank has a similar facility, in the form of the iPhone app "Kaching", but since iPhone has no NFC radio, you have to buy an external case from Commbank that contains the circuitry. No Android support from them though...yet...

awesome. going to look into it on my sgs2

how does it work in terms of, when i get to the checkout, what happens?

Edited by p0is0n

When you get to the checkout, just ask to pay with PayPass.

Get your phone prepared beforehand, have the app open, and have the card selected you want to pay with. (For the free $10, it's a Google Prepaid Card).

Then when the machine is ready, just bump.

Thanks mate, that sounds actually very useful. I use paypass a lot with my cards as its so much easier than cash and this is so much easier than carrying a wallet at all.

Unfortunately you can't top up your Google Prepaid card just yet, they reject foreign (to the USA and Canada) credit cards.

It's coming though, and it's going to be awesome.

Awesome! I love PayPass, just bump my wallet to the receiver and it's usually painless and quick. This is just one step closer to supreme laziness. Or should that be awesomeness? :D

Does anyone else find the concept of Google acting as intermediary on all your minor transactions disturbing?

Or is it just me?

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

(:D)

(Galaxy Nexus).

Sorry skipped it as I read it on my sensation.

Does anyone else find the concept of Google acting as intermediary on all your minor transactions disturbing?

Or is it just me?

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

(:D)

The Banks would be paying attention I bet...

Looks like Google is beginning to cut into their territory.

I wonder if Sir_Substance knows or has this in operation ... seem to recall he thought the demise of cash transactions a step in the right direction :)

Personally, I'm with CptnChrysler. Not particularly fond of this idea ...

Google will really know what you spend your money on now, Imagine how accurate their advertising could be.

I swear this is just another step for google to take over the world. If in the future the world is run by corporations, like many folk say, then I think google will be one of the biggest corporations running the planet in future. They are making a move on EVERYTHING. Its crazy.

Well, Google don't have a monopoly on anything, so I don't see the problem. I'm happy that they're providing competition in otherwise stale markets. Besides, if there was any company I'd trust with my assets, Google would be right up there. I dare say I trust them more than the big banks.

Couldn't I just put my paypass card in the skin of my phone?

wait... that might make it 1mm thicker...

Edited by fliptopia

The 1mm thickness and struggling to take it out when you need it for other purposes, the fact that you need a crappy skin in the first place, the inability to have multiple cards, and no security if you lose your phone with your card in it.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Spent 30 mins being sent, by my satnav,the wrong way to a supermarket that didn't exist, then eventually finding one, only to realise that I had my phone and had forgotten my wallet at the hotel. I thought of this thread quite a bit on the way back to get my wallet.

This thread had me all excited, so I went in search of an NFC phone.

What a let down.

Unless I want to pay an exorbitant amount, or settle for some very average performance, nothing was to be found. Cheapest I could fine was a Huawei Sonic (I think that's the model), but no Flash and a 600mhz single core processer sent me running. Or pay $700+ for a phone bang full of features, but leaving me no money to put into my Google wallet.

Sad panda.

I picked up a Samsung Nexus S last week for $299 from DSE.

Edited by 123abc

I find this concept quite interesting.

I also have a Galaxy Nexus... but not sure of the risks when it comes to rooting the phone.

Time to do some research I think!