Opy

[PC]Mechwarrior Online

There is still no known release date :( , but I've just burned an hour on the site reading blogs, learning the planned gaming styles, seeing some basic skill trees and checking out the huge INNER SPHERE MAP.

Mechwarrior Online will be free to play. So the player never has to pay a cent, but can do to take some shortcuts. World of Tanks did this very well, where paying money will get you to the top tanks faster but you only really have to pay if you want to play in the Clan Wars and fight for territories and have a reasonable chance of victory.

The forums are awash with stories introducing the different mechs and highlighting the roles that they will(should) play.

I even found an Aussie Clan currently in MW4 and ready to jump into MWO.

There is a wad of links to dev blogs, artwork, fan art, stories behind the development and more HERE

After browsing through there I have the itch. If it wasn't getting so late I'd probably patch and play MWLL to get my mech fix.

I registered my game name a while back. And am hoping this gets released this year, but you just never know what the future may bring to us (maybe a beer?)

If this is the 3015 era, I'm so in. I hate the Clanner-post era because it was convulated and Trash afterwards, hell Knights of the Inner Sphere. Pft what the hell does that mean.

Edited by Zhaker

If this is the 3015 era, I'm so in. I hate the Clanner-post era because it was convulated and Trash afterwards, hell Knights of the Inner Sphere. Pft what the hell does that mean.

3015 was the Marik civil war, iirc. It was still really pretty interesting until 3050 - that was the Clan invasion. Even then some of the stories were pretty cool. It was only when players were allowed to fool around with omnimechs that it all went to shit.

My personal favourite setting was 3025ish. The Succesion Wars were in full swing and people were making new 'mechs again - and starting to evolve the designs.

3015 was the Marik civil war, iirc. It was still really pretty interesting until 3050 - that was the Clan invasion. Even then some of the stories were pretty cool. It was only when players were allowed to fool around with omnimechs that it all went to shit.

My personal favourite setting was 3025ish. The Succesion Wars were in full swing and people were making new 'mechs again - and starting to evolve the designs.

Yeah I loved the political infighting pre-Clans with older tech. It made battles more interesting and mercenary work more meaningful. Long live House Kurita!

Reserved my Pilots name last year.

Between this and WoT I will need a full time sugar momma to support me!

Hello, I am your resident Mechwarrior of 29 years experience. Let me give you some background on this game...

The Mechwarrior franchise was wilfully destroyed in 2004. Microsoft had bought the rights to the title from FASA, and used them to produce the Xbox-only title MechAssault. ''MechInsult'' (as it was known amongst true Mechwarriors) managed to turn the admired sim-like Mechwarrior game into a dumbed down 3rd person view only shooter, featuring non-canon ''innovations'' like powerups and an Atlas with fucking jump jets.

The sequel, MechAssault Lone Wolf, introduced the the even lamer concept of ''neurohacking'', giving ejected Mechwarriors the opportunity to hijack enemy Mechs if they pushed a sequence of Xbox controller buttons faster than its pilot.

And so the Mechwarrior franchise lay dormant in the vaults of its uncaring owners, until 5 years ago, when a group of seasoned Mech veterans and game modders, Wandering Samurai, decided to create a Crysis Mod called Mechwarrior Living Legends. Microsoft kindly gave Wandering Samurai permission to use the Mechwarrior IP as long as they didn't charge for it. And in 2009, a year later than scheduled, Wandering Samurai made the MWLL 0.1 open beta available to the public.

From the outset, MWLL took Mech warfare to a new level. More sim-like than the previous Mechwarrior titles, MWLL leveraged Crysis's graphics engine to the full, with highly articulated and faithfully rendered Mechs - Clan and Inner Sphere - doing battle in large landscapes which also featured Aerospace fighters, VTOLs, Tanks, Long Tom Artillery and BattleArmours. Now at v5.5, MWLL continues to become ever more impressive, with a large number of chassis and configuration options, and four gameplay modes. A full modular Mech Lab is in the works, last week, the MWLL team released spectacular new HUD designs for Mechs and tanks which will further enhance the game's immersion.

Meanwhile, three years ago, the development studio Smith & Tinker bought the rights to use the Mechwarrior franchise. They promptly announced that they were coding Mechwarrior 5, and released an impressive video showing what the gameplay ''would be like''. However, little further was heard for two years, until they suddenly announced six months ago that they couldn't find a publisher for their Mechwarrior 5 concept, and instead they would code a F2P title.

Once again, an impressive video has been provided... Once again, we trueborn Mechwarriors wait to see whether there's any substance to the claims being made this time around...

In the meantime, we continue to support and applaud Wandering Samurai, whose incredible and still-evolving MWLL labour of love is the single most impressive feat of sustained coding in the history of modding.

Edited by Virtuoso

Yeah I loved the political infighting pre-Clans with older tech. It made battles more interesting and mercenary work more meaningful. Long live House Kurita!

Err House Kurita disdained Mercs, in fact they did they tried to absorb the Wolf Dragoons into Kurita.

As for 3015, that was also the 1st or 2nd Succession Wars too I believe, thought the 1st one was the nastiest of them all, cause it was a crippling blow to Scientific progression until the Ares Convention was put in place (after the 2nd one I believe).

And no, Mechwarrior the game died by Microsoft, but the PnP Mechwarrior (or Batteltech) was killed by Wizkids who had to remake it into Dark Ages which I found was completely stupid.

Edited by Zhaker

Well I'm sorry to dissapoint you but the year the game is in is 3049, so get some Clan mechs in you. God I love them.

Posted Image

Well I'm sorry to dissapoint you but the year the game is in is 3049, so get some Clan mechs in you. God I love them.

Thats still before the post Clanner era where it turned to shit. So still all good. I think thats after 307X... urgh.

Marauder II, modern style

Posted Image

Hnnnng

Are they still allowed to use that design? Never kept up with all the copyright BS that was being fought at the time. All I know was that some mech designs were in copyright infringement with some Japanese anime.

That's a mean mech btw. yeah my fav has got to be the Marauder with Warhammer a very close second. Actually the more this is talked about the more memories it's bringing back and now I'm hanging for a new Mechwarrior game. Not a generic mech game but one set in the Mechwarrior universe.

3057 represent.

Fuck yeah. Clan Jade Falcon, waddup

Obligatory

Weapon depleted.

Goosebumps. Every fucking time.

Marauder II, modern style

Posted Image

Hnnnng

Are they still allowed to use that design? Never kept up with all the copyright BS that was being fought at the time. All I know was that some mech designs were in copyright infringement with some Japanese anime.

That's a mean mech btw. yeah my fav has got to be the Marauder with Warhammer a very close second. Actually the more this is talked about the more memories it's bringing back and now I'm hanging for a new Mechwarrior game. Not a generic mech game but one set in the Mechwarrior universe.

I thought thats what they had problems in the first place from some company that sued them for the Robotech license or something *confused*.

EDIT: Looks like it wasnt, oh well all good.

Also from looking at the official website, it seems to be pre clanner stuff, so yea if that is the case sign me up thats even better.

EDIT 2: Darn it saw the shift, Oh well still hoping that it wont turn into a Knights of the Inner Sphere led by one man who was able to take down everyone and make his little empire in a few years....

Edited by Zhaker

Goosebumps. Every fucking time.

Drongo didn't deserve to be a 'mech pilot. Uses up both peeps on a flea, then takes on something actually worth worrying about with a freakin' chain gun.

Does anyone even play MLL in Aus? I got it over the weekend and so far the only local server is Gamearena's and it's been 0/0 every day so far.