clung3

Q6600 OC...

So yeah, I'm upgrading soon, decided I would overclock this beast before I get rid of it. I've got myself a good cooler, at stock she idles at around 32 degrees all cores. So I decided to try and get at least 3.2 out of it.

For some reason I can't get the system to boot up with anything past 311 x 9 FSB (2800 ghz).

Not sure what I should be doing with the voltage, I know that stock voltage for my CPU is 1.285 (well... At least that's what it's telling me.)

I just can't seem to push it any further than 2.8. If I start playing with voltages it makes no difference, and I have heard that it's dangerous to do so. I would have thought I'd be able to get at least 3ghz out of this CPU on aftermarket cooling at stock voltage? It's not like it's overheating - it simply just doesn't let me boot past the post screen...

Could it be a voltage issue? Do I need to set voltage higher, say 1.325, or is that starting to get into dangerous territory?

Edited by clung3

I really hope thats a typo or something where it says 'voltage is 2.875'.

For a Q6600 you could use up to ~1.45v but for something like 3.2GHz realistically you will want more like 1.4v. Its all down to your CPU though, my Q6600 used to do 3.8Ghz.

What RAM do yo have? As your RAM speed is based off the FSB too so you may need to try certain dividers to get it running at a sane speed too.

IMO set your FSB to something like 333 and try 6*333, 7*333, 8*333 and see what happens.

Then try 6*400, 7*400 etc. This should give you an idea for where your starting to hit issues.

There are no magic settings you can just type in though, you will need to slowly raise the bar until you find the speed your happy with.

Definitely a typo - I will confirm what it is once I get home, kind of rushed this post this morning while at work.

I think it was more like 1.285 or something like that stock, but will confirm.

RAM is just pretty standard stuff, I believe Kingston DDR2 but will have to confirm... Had the system for 4 years I think. I had an option to set my FSB to linked or unlinked when I started changing it. I was under the impression unlinked was the way to go or it could push my RAM too far, but should it be linked?

I will try your suggestions and see how I go :)

you can run linked or unlinked, depending on your cpu clock/ram speed - it will depend on the RAM you have.

Example: I used to run 9*425 with DDR2-800 and so I could run the RAM at 1:1 no worries (850Mhz), or 4:5 where it would run around 1060Mhz.

hope that helps.

Yeah I reckon Poison is on the money here, Make sure your RAM multiplier is set low so when you bring your FSB up it takes the RAM out of the equation if something goes wrong.

Depending on what revision of the cpu you have (and a bit of luck) you should be able to put it up to 3ghz like myself at stock voltage of 1.285. Like poison said, voltage of 1.45 is really as far as you want to push it if you plan on keeping the chip. Above that and you'll start to see the life expectancy of the cpu decrease.

luckily the Q6600 was quite popular in its time and there a hundreds of threads with advice on how to overclock. I think there is an archived thread here somewhere too, I'll go and see if i can find the link...

Here it is:

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp...;c=27&t=496

Maybe have a read through and see if it helps :)

I've got mine currently at 3.2, you don't need to touch the multi, and set your ram at 1:1.

My chips a G0 which I believe are the good clockers, I can get 3.2 stable 24/7, with 1.375v.

However I can't go too much further without really cranking the volts.

What mobo do you have? It could be letting you down.

As martyr said, there are plenty of guides, though mainly with the gigabyte p35 ds3 series mobo's, as that was the vanilla board of the time.

I found this guide super helpful, and for overclocking in general.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=227317

Awesome advice guys and good links, I will give it a go tonight. Mobo is an Asus P5N32-E SLI I believe. Apparently not a bad board for its time either? As I said I have it running fine (idling at around 42 degrees, around 55 under full load in BF3 for example, at 2800ghz. So I think I'll be able to get at least 3.0 or 3.2 out of it. See how it goes, thanks again :))

You should be able to set your FSB to 333Mhz, multiplier to 9, bump the voltage up and then set your FSB:DRAM ratio to 1:1. Even the original E0 stepping Q6600's would do 3.0GHz, however, some of the later G0's were rubbish clockers. My old G0 Q6600 wouldn't clock above 3GHz without causing random crashes.....

Ok bit of an update..

Managed to get it 333x9 (3.0) and it's running perfectly. I want to try and get 3.2 out of it this weekend though as the temps are overall still quite low at full load.

Took me a while but figured it out I think... System wouldn't boot past post screen if I had the voltage on either AUTO or higher than stock (1.2875v). It also wouldn't boot if the RAM was at stock (800mhz) or if it was clocked too high (like 1:1 would put it at 1424mhz or something ridiculous... didn't touch that!)

Just set my FSB to unlinked and set my RAM speed to 899mhz, and FSB to 333x4, and hard-set vcore to stock 1.2875 and I am managing 3ghz perfectly. Not sure what I can try next tonight to push it further though. Maybe increase FSB to 355, not sure it will like it at a vcore of only 1.2875 though.

Its been a while since i fucked around with my 6600, but I always found there were 'holes' in the fsb speed. its all to do with multipliers. dont ask me on the fsb exact numbers, but you'd bump up ur fsb, then hit a wall, where no amount of volts or other tweaking would let it be stable. but jump up say 10/20mhz, and bam, rock stable. I seem to recall major issues in the 350-370 area, Id have stability for a 5mhz range, then nothing wall, jump up an extra 3mhz, stable, another 2 mhz, nothing. fustrating.

poisions quite right, lock down your cpus ability, by upping ya multi n keeping the bus low. when you know where your aiming, find the highest fsb ur board will do happily. then amalgamate the 2 to get a stable system.

keep in mind tho that its not just a incremental raise-raise-raise. flying blind, n taking a bigger step up n trying to find solid ground can work wonders.

mine would do 3.7 with a prohibitive amount of air n noise n heat, 3.4 comfortably (low speed 120mm fans.

This is exactly what I was doing in my Q6600 thread. LOL, clung3 you even posted in it.

Yep, I've got 333mhz x 9 for a 3.00GHz, been running for a month now and temps are fine and fps has had a good boost.

clung3 perhaps try a different multi. ie. 8x400. then have the ram @ 2.00d = 800. that mobo should easily get 3.2+ but every chip is different. dont be afraid to give it a some more volts. pretty sure that board has a large vdroop so set voltage in bios then check with cpu-z - 1.4- 1.5 should be stable enough for a 24/7 setup. just keep an eye on load temps.

sometimes even a bios update to latest or a previous version can help with oc'ing. make sure CIE and any other voltage control is off in the bios as well. and try to minimise anything that has an AUTO attached to it. chances are it will be giving more volts than what is needed.

best of luck.