Sign in to follow this  
adv1_star_11

Work Monitor

Want a decent 15-17' monitor for work (not bigger plz). I need one as I am on the pc the whole day and my eyes are quite sore at the end of the day.

-Not gonna care for gaming

-Needs to be reliable

-Black in colour

-Not larger than 17'

Suggestions would be appreciated.

You're not going find a 15" since no one sells those unless it's 2nd hand. They still sell 17" LCDs but most folks like their 19",20" and 22" screens.

I have a 17" sitting next to 22" LCD at work.

my eyes are quite sore at the end of the day.

best thing for fixing that is a bigger monitor!!!

Unless you are restricted in space theres no reason to get anything smaller than a 22" widescreen when buying a new LCD

my eyes are quite sore at the end of the day.

best thing for fixing that is a bigger monitor!!!

Unless you are restricted in space theres no reason to get anything smaller than a 22" widescreen when buying a new LCD

You point is well taken, but I don't want to stand out too much from the crowd. Everyone uses 15-16' monitors, I'm a new guy there so getting a 19'+ monitor is definately gonna draw some negative attention...

I can accept 2nd hand screens, so long as they do the job. Not gonna use it for gaming.

Budget: Absolute Max $250.00

You point is well taken, but I don't want to stand out too much from the crowd. Everyone uses 15-16' monitors, I'm a new guy there so getting a 19'+ monitor is definately gonna draw some negative attention...

I can accept 2nd hand screens, so long as they do the job. Not gonna use it for gaming.

Who's paying for it? If it's a work monitor - then the company should be paying for it not you as I think it sounds.

Hmm, if I was in your situation and I was forced to stare at a 15" monitor all day and they were unwilling to upgrade everyone, I'd be looking for another job.

No job is worth your eyesight.

Hmm, if I was in your situation and I was forced to stare at a 15" monitor all day and they were unwilling to upgrade everyone, I'd be looking for another job.

No job is worth your eyesight.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think I would rather risk standing out than having sore eyes. Just tell everyone you have a vision impairment, and maybe instead of being jealous of the nice big monitor, they will see it as the equivalent of Coke bottle glasses, and that has the added benefit of everyone feeling comfortable around you because they know you are retarded in some way.

Look people are blowing this eye strain 'argument' right out of proportion. I use dual 17" 4:3 ratio lcd's at work @ 1280x1024 each, at home i use 30" 2560x1600 lcd's on all my systems and i can say with out any problem that none of the screens give me eye strain. You know why? Because whilst the screen size and resolution change, one thing stays reasonably constant, dot pitch, the relationship between resolution and screen size, so let me share some figures with you:

15" @ 1024x768 = .29

17" @1280x1024 = .26

22" @ 1680x1050 = .28

24" @ 1920x1200 = .26

30" @ 2560x1600 = .25

Lets look at the numbers, whilst the 17" is smaller than the 22" it's still within the typical range for a desktop display. What this means is display wise they are all near the same, thus text etc will all display at roughly the same size, the difference being how much text etc can actually be displayed at any one time. So from a productivity point of view yes a larger monitor is better but for eye strain it's complete nonsense. This isn't crt days, when a 17" could display 1600x1200 or 1920x1440, yes then the dot pitch would have been considerably smaller and eye strain could certainly have been an issue. But now with lcd's native resolution it's no longer a problem, except for laptops where much higher resolutions are present in smaller displays, but that's beside the point in this situation.

Eye strain is generally caused by staring at a display for extended periods of time with out breaks. The human eye is designed to be constantly refocusing, when your looking at an object the same distance away from you for an extended period of time the eye is not forced to do it's job, thus your eye sight can gradually worsen. Another common problem with staring at displays is that your eyes do not blink at their natural rate, they blink lesson often thus the surface of your eye dries out. If you've got problems with your eyes due to using computers i recommed you evaluate your usage habits before thinking that a larger display is going to fix your problems.

So adv1 if you want a 17” lcd then buy one, most manufacturers still make them, however from a value perspective in general consummer stores you'll often find a 17" 4:3 ratio screen sells for around the same price as an entry level 22" 16:10. We use dell at work, they don't list the 17" on the consummer pages, but they are still available to business and i'm sure we get them for pretty damn cheap given we buy them over 22's.

cheers

A 19" widescreen LCD isnt going to look bigger than a 17" 4:3 ratio monitor as it's measured diagonally.

In height they are roughly the same, but in width the 19" is actually a good 60mm wider, it's a good functional increase in desktop space.

cheers

A 19" widescreen LCD isnt going to look bigger than a 17" 4:3 ratio monitor as it's measured diagonally.

In height they are roughly the same, but in width the 19" is actually a good 60mm wider, it's a good functional increase in desktop space.

cheers

You got that right, 19" is the right size, not to small and not to big.