Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

I just sold my system =0

I just sold these parts for $670

i7 950

Giga X58A-UD3R R2

6G Gksill 2000MHz Elpida BBSE

2x Geforce GTX480s

That money is going into paying for some work on my car I've already thrown many thousands at recently =[

I also chose now to sell up because with Ivy/Kepler/Cheaper 7970 around the corner, I'd sell it for a lot less in the coming 2 months or so.

So for my next system I'd be looking at some kind of Ivy K chip (3770k??)

What 8G Ram kits have good ICs? Most 2133 shit is like cas 11 and crappy shit ICs

Which 1155 motherboard range is the best? Mind you I plan on sli or CF in future with a PCIE 1x card, and probably 3-4 sata 6gbs drives.

In roughly 2 months when I purchase (could be after financial year :S),

Either there will be some beastly kepler, or a pair of 7970's will be cheap =D

So undecided there for the moment.

For SSD side of things, I posted in Storage about it, but I plan to at least grab some kind of Intel 520 120 or 240g.

Components I still have:

Corsair HX1000 PSU

Blu ray pioneer thing

My watercooling:

MCP355 pump, Heatkiller CU 3.0 1366 block

pair of Swiffy MCW60 rev2 GPU blocks

Feser 360 radiator, Aquacomputer 240 radiator

All screwed into an 800D

And a Dell 2408WFP Ultrasharp 24" 16:10

Cheers.

no point buying a Z68 or P67 board as Z77 sould be just around the corner.

hopefully there will be some decent board with agood number of sats 3 ports.

and obviously you might have issues mounting your waterblock!

but im sure you know most of this! :D

pretty decent price on the gear too well done!

Yeah I was happy with that price, especially as it was one person buying the lot.

Yeah il need a new block, pity I like this one

i dont see why you cant use your current block just drill some new holes in the mount plate that line up with 1155 holes

although like my cpu block the drill may break threw the edge of the mount plate nothing a washer wont fix

apparently 1155 is 75mm x 75mm

Edited by Dasa

i dont see why you cant use your current block just drill some new holes in the mount plate that line up with 1155 holes

although like my cpu block the drill may break threw the edge of the mount plate nothing a washer wont fix

apparently 1155 is 75mm x 75mm

well yea theres that :P mr ghetto

Well I whipped out the measuring tape and I think the block has 1155 mounting holes anyway :)

Shame to see your old parts go.. not much to say about new parts yet since not much news..

What are you using in the mean time?

On RAM, I am finding CPU has as much to do with RAM speed as the RAM itself, sure at 3.30GHz I can run 2133, and even at 4.6 but at 4.7-4.8 it becomes impossible to boot with RAM at over 1600 (due to memory controller now being on the CPU I think) so hopefully this isn't an issue with the newer CPUs (Ivy), I hear any x79 CPU will do 2400 which sounds tasty. This may just be an issue related to my setup, but I've seen many similar accounts. It could just be my shitty 2133. Best timings I get is 9-11-10-27-1 from 11-11-11-11-30 so minimal improvement. I hear that early manufactured dominator GTs are the best and the newer ones use the same memory IC as the g.skill stuff (might not be bad..)

You'll find a few 1155 boards like the gigabyte z68xp-ud4 have 4x sata3/4x sata2 (often disguised as 2x intel and 2x marvell in the specs) but most have only 2x sata3/4x sata2. My board has 3.. which seems a bit odd but anyway. There seems to be a wide range of variation in PCI-E slot configuration though, so make sure you find one with PCIe1x at the top for your other card, some of them are a bit silly (sorry to use the z68xp-ud4 here again, but its a good example of silly (used to have one)). From what I've seen on OCAU most of the top guys (with multi GPU setups etc.) seem to be using ASUS. I hear there is an SR-3 due out soon, but I think it may be 2x X79 :)

You might still be waiting a while for kepler IMO.. the 8000 series may not be far behind. Its a perpetual loop. Don't think you could go wrong with 2x 7970s though, seems to be a few crossfire issues with drivers still, but single card has been pretty good.

Yeah I'm a bit sad to see it go, such awesome value parts !

But it was time!

Did the older Dominator GT come in 4G sticks? I don't think they did :S

So it seems like Z77 is the go???

I'm using my trusty i3 dell laptop and my iphone in the meantime =]

So it seems like Z77 is the go???

that or X79. Z77 is much better value however and new cpus will give you braging rights :P

First of all whoever bought your i7 and ram ect got a very good deal, if i were you the price would have been a bit steeper than that. As for your current situation i reccomend you sell your water cooling gear and the blu ray drive and save up to buy a Z77 board and maybe an Ivy bridge when they come out, and make a new rig, it doesnt matter if it isnt brilliant beacuse you can just use it as a base for future upgrading.