chilli

Erase and encrypt SSD

I have a Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB.

I was making plans to wipe the drive, and encrypt it after my next installation, but it seems this process is a lot more ambiguous than with standard HDDs.

Can anyone recommend the best method for erasing the old contents and encrypting the new contents of my SSD?

By the way, it's nice to be back, my cat got really sick and I got really depressed so just stopped being interested in tech stuff for a while.. my shiny new computer has barely been used!

What software will you be using to encrypt?

I've tested Bitlocker and Truecrypt and both work extremely well. They guide you through the process so it's extremely simple.

If you want to erase the contents of your drive for security purposes then don't bother. Encrypting the drive will do the same thing. However if you want to erase it to restore it to its full glory read this: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85344

Thanks smakme, I erased the drive with Parted Magic and have been trying to use TrueCrypt to encrypt it, but kept getting a message that Windows is not installed on the same drive from which it boots.. turns out its the stupid 200mb partition Windows 7 makes, and which I entirely forgot about from last time (it kept installing it on different HDD)

I have heard it is even more difficult to get it without the partition under SP1.. Any suggestions for getting everything in Windows 7 SP1 installed on the one partition on the SSD?

Thanks smakme, I erased the drive with Parted Magic and have been trying to use TrueCrypt to encrypt it, but kept getting a message that Windows is not installed on the same drive from which it boots.. turns out its the stupid 200mb partition Windows 7 makes, and which I entirely forgot about from last time (it kept installing it on different HDD)

I have heard it is even more difficult to get it without the partition under SP1.. Any suggestions for getting everything in Windows 7 SP1 installed on the one partition on the SSD?

That extra partition is used for bitlocker as far as i know. Windows Vista didn't create that partition by default which forced people to create it when using Bitlocker, so it's created by default in Windows 7. So you should be able to just delete it when you setup windows for the first time.

Do you have any other disks installed in the same PC? I've found that windows likes to install the MBR to a 2nd disk for some reason (it used to install the MBR to my storage HDD and not the primary SSD). So now i make sure to take out all other drives when installing Windows so ithas to install it to the primary drive with windows on it.

The reason you're getting that error is because Truecrypt has to modify the MBR and if it's on another physical disk is will create problems. It shouldn't matter if it's on a different partition on the same drive as far as i know....??

Edited by smakme7757

Thanks smakeme, I ended up unhooking all the other drives, formatting in Parted Magic and installing and this time it didn't make the partition thank god!

Edited by chilli