Sign in to follow this  
frostbitz

Kitlog section

So I've been reading the magazine for quite some time. I love it and am always itching when it gets to the week of the 2nd wednesday of the month. :P

Whilst I am knowledgeable enough that the kitlog is pretty useless to me (although I find it handy for a quick reference when I can't be bothered getting links for all the parts for friends) it really bugs me that it almost never changes.

The parts only really change when a new generation initially comes out and then doesn't really change, even when a part comes along with a better review and score.

eg, When the 3930k came out the g1 assassin 2 was the top motherboard with a score of 91% or something around there. Then the next issue came along and the Rampage IV extreme was reviewed with a score of 96% and stated it was better than the assassin (although slightly more expensive) yet it still to this day has not taken the spot for the choice motherboard for the perfect rig.

Correct me if I'm missing something here, most likely am, but if not it bugs me so much! :P

It's an odd beast, the Kit Log.

It's part driven by scores, part by price, and - and this could possibly be made more clear - also influenced by our own preferences and the kit we use at home. So, for instance, I've been using G1 Assassin boards in my home rig for a while now, and I really like working with them. So it makes the cut :)

Basically we look at the Kit Log like those systems were built and being used daily. So we think to ourselves, yeah, this new kit is good, but would we consider going to through the upgrade? And sometimes the case is no.

It seems a little anachronistic to judge changes as being worthy of an upgrade from the previous entry, rather than what could be generations old in a reader's old rig <.>

Well, we can't really know what's in a reader's rig - anyway, don't all Atomicans have BLEEDING EDGE SYSTEMS?!?

:P

But it needs to be said - it's never going to please everyone, and we're also still catching up a lot of the magazine now that we're a bit more resourced, so no doubt the Kit Log will be seeing more love soon.

Oh, and it might even be getting a whole new online identity shortly, too...

That's fair enough. Shouldn't a part that is reviewed by you and gets a higher score in all fronts, aside from price, replace another part?

I understand that you have a personal liking to the assassin and that's your opinion, but then so is the review done by you guys, so humph :P

Either way it's all good, if you are in the market to buy a $500 mobo im sure you are well enough informed that you can make your own personal decision haha.

Just picking at a minor thing, love the magazine and the work you guys do! (goes to buy the new issue)

But it needs to be said - it's never going to please everyone, and we're also still catching up a lot of the magazine now that we're a bit more resourced, so no doubt the Kit Log will be seeing more love soon.

Oh, and it might even be getting a whole new online identity shortly, too...

I endose this service and/or product.

I endose this service and/or product.

Mayhap you would also like some free literature on the product?

:P

I think the Kitlog's description of The perfect PC should either change from "the system everyone aspires to" to what you just said above - or else you mean it and stand by it. I remember at the start of January Ben was so pleased with his new Dell 30" monitor for around $1300 - to me his post exactly matched the description of "The Perfect PC" - its was aspirational, he was over the moon with his acquisition.

Now I think the bleeding edge CPU you have selected for the Perfect PC is well thought through, as is 90% of the rest of that rig, but the odd man out is a sturdy NVidia GTX580 card that is older, more expensive and slower than a faster, later generation ATI card that atomic has recently reviewed as the new speed king.

My personal inclination would be for atomic editors to ask "have we reviewed any gear that would change a Kitlog entry" before final publication - sound, monitors, CPU, GPU etc... - just a straightforward check. If one section of a magazine hails something as the new King - well reflect that and synchronise related content to respect that.

A small critique about an excellent issue - keep up the good work guys!

Edited by g__day

There were about 14 changes put forward by me for the Kitlog in Issue #135. They must have come through too close to the print cycle to be amended, rest easy knowing they will be changed in #136.

The main changes will be video cards, RAM and Displays. Most other parts will remain the same or very similar.

Gee-whiz, you go away to New York for a few days...

See that's the problem right there, you shouldn't be allowed to have fun, you should be dedicated to doing what your loyal subjects want when we want it god damnit :p

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?s...st&p=972990

We had started updating Kitlog for #135, but due to insufficient time to get images prepared we had to push it back to #136. It relies on the hardware guys of the mag; namely me (and we all know how bad I am at getting shit done) and Matt Wilson.

Matt's gone through and has basically put through all the changes you mention as of last month, they just haven't made it to the mag yet.

In terms of features that get discussed and criticised the most, kitlog seems to be quite an important part of the mag.

It deserves more time spent on it.

I've just written and discarded three posts...

Thank fuck it's the weekend soon.

In terms of features that get discussed and criticised the most, kitlog seems to be quite an important part of the mag.

It deserves more time spent on it.

It does, and we are spending time on it. But we're only human, and there are other important things like food and sleep that we like to do that get in the way of being able to do absolutely everything in a single month.

Like I've said, it has received and will continue to get editorial attention.

But we're only human, and there are other important things like food and sleep that we like to do that get in the way of being able to do absolutely everything in a single month.

And beer. Don't forget beer.

It does, and we are spending time on it. But we're only human, and there are other important things like food and sleep that we like to do that get in the way of being able to do absolutely everything in a single month.

What features could you spend less time on then? Surely there's a priority system in place.

Let us know what it is and we'll let you know what we think

What features could you spend less time on then? Surely there's a priority system in place.

Let us know what it is and we'll let you know what we think

Well we could spend less time on reviewing hardware, but then people would say we don't review enough hardware.

We could spend less time on reviewing games, but then people would say we don't live up to the maximum power gaming moniker.

We could have fewer columns, but those are written by freelancers and don't affect us too much.

I appreciate the offer, but we're more than capable of sorting this out - I don't think your advice would help at all.

P.S. +1 beer.

But we're only human

THAT'S NOT WHAT IT SAYS ON YOUR RANK!!!1!!!!11

I've been lied too :(