nitro.vo

Windows folder restrictions

Hi guys,

Weird issue I've got.

I've got a drive in my PC, found from an old PC so I made use of the extra hdd.

It was working fine, I filled it up and used it constantly for a couple of months til it was full and I moved to another drive.

Now when I try and access any folder on that drive, it's telling me I don't have folder permissions to access it. I've got folders of my photos and recorded music that I really need to get so i can at least back it up.

I think it started happening after my win7 was corrupted and I had to rebuild the boot table or whatever it was. A few instances of repairing my windows start up as it wouldn't boot.

I'm admin on my PC and always have been. no new accounts have beeen created on my windows.

I've also got a folder on my external hdd that this is happening to, more important files I need.

Windows says I do not have permission. I click on allow access and it fails to give me access.

I've fiddled with the user profile accessability on the drive, the individual folders, the parent folders. It looks as though I should have full permissions with the folders.

If there is no windows type of fix, is there any programs I can use to remove the restrictions or anything? It's really frustrating!

Thanks in advance for your help and time.

Try changing the ownership on the root folder(s) to you, then closing that dialog box, then going through and changing the permissions from the root folder(s) down, giving you full access...

It would likely be failing because you're not the owner of the files and folders, as a result of a different user account on the old computer being set as the owner.

Sweet, will try that.

I think with my external hdd files, it was created under my laptop username and I secured it when lending my hdd out, but since getting it back I can't get the access back.

Will let you know how I go, cheers dude

By secured.... you don't mean encrypted do you? ie, using windows file/folder encryption....

As long as your an admin on your PC it should be fine. an administrator can take ownership of any file on a PC.

right click, properties, security, advanced, owner..

Sweet, well I can access the folders, however I can't open my photos. Access denied/ don't have permission to view. I've tried setting the owner on them too, but doesn't work.

you need to set the owner, then replace the security permissions after you've changed the owner to yourself...

If you do one, but not the other, you don't get anywhere.

Excellent, all sorted. Was getting worried there for a while but thanks for your helps. I did that take ownership option on my menu and that's got it set, let do me it all in bulk too. Very good, thanks.