hulkster

Well look at that

Is it still around, somewhere? I think I missed it :

Also, pretty sure the suspension thing was put into practice recently with Bob deleting a bunch of his posts, too~

Yes, Bob got suspended for mutilating threads only a couple of months ago.

My frustration with this whole crapfest obviously got the better of me. I've got the flu, I was unfortunately the one that got stuck with an unpleasant duty and then I try to do the "right thing" only to get kicked in the guts.

I apologise for my display in this thread, it was a fit of temper which someone should have slapped me around for and told me to go to bed.

I will not apologise for the circumstances of it, as if the situation arose again, I would do the same thing again, however I will say that I shouldn't have told Hulks to "finish ragequitting already". That was childish and below me.

Hulks: Personally, I'm sorry to see you go man.

But TBH, I don't really understand your reasons.

Sure, your thread got locked, the mods discussed and clarified their position, and half an hour later it was unlocked again. It's standard operating procedure since I was a mod (back in Ben's time), to act in what you think is the best and most consistent way, and see if the other mods agree. If you weren't contacted about the RTM, then it's likely because it slipped between the cracks. Unfortunately post V3 upgrade, the old RTM system no longer exists and the current systems is extremely clunky. Hence why sometimes people get replies from multiple mods, or sometimes no reply at all.

For what it's worth, I think it's safe to say that there is a little more context to why atomic's numbers have dropped, and why some users no longer post here. 11 years is a long time, especially in technology, and this forum is no longer the bespoke system with a small, tight userbase running with money from a competetive niche magazine. It's now an off the shelf system, with a diverse userbase, being run by a large company in the context of extremely challenging times for traditional media.

Let's not forget that things like facebook now take a lot of the "content" that used to make up the green room when it was moving extremely fast "in the old days".

In terms of removing your content, it's always been a no-no to edit out swathes of content on the forums, and it's been a codified and enforced rule in the past 12 months. If anything, I think the mod in question was pointing out that it seemed like a petulant move to spite the members of the general forum as a move in a 'dispute' between you and the mod team.

I'm sorry you no longer want to be part of atomic, and I'm sorry to see you not only making this extremely public and bitter, but also forcing our hand by posting the contents of a PM.

Good luck with things, mate :(

it's poor forum etiquette to delete posts/images that brakes the thread.

Poor forum? LOL Have a really good look around at whats happening here and see where the poor form is.

My pics and I'll fucken well delete them if i want.

I wont name the mod because i respect this one very much but it should get me banned by posting part of a PM,

so here it is;

"I noticed the crap you did over in your car thread and I am seriously leaving that till the morning considering I should be technically suspending you for it. "

deep breath, go to the change password area, button mash a random string. walk away. if you're dead set on it don't wait for "suicide by Mod"

your investment over the last 11 years hurts to walk away from, sure, you will still be angry tomorrow.

I've been where you are and I still have not been back, too bitter to want to build that bridge or even join that whole community let alone that one web forum.

that was 3 years ago.

I'm well aware that what makes it to the forum public is the outcome of a lot of contextual stuff from PM and TB, and while I'm certainly not suggesting that stuff be made public, I will that that to an outsider who's not privy to the broader picture, this all looks incredibly fucked up.

I gotta be honest, I don't hate the idea of someone like TinBane or Garph leading a whole new crew of mods. Not that I don't think the ones we have are doing well, or that I'm not grateful for their service, but it's clear that something's wrong and it seems most people are pointing to the mods. Maybe if new people took it up, it might get approached a different way, and it might foster just enough change to make a difference. Might not, too, but I reckon it's worth solid try.

--edit-- And please don't think that that's an attack on any of the people wearing Mod tags. I'm sure you're all lovely, with the exception of TinBane who is in fact the Devil.

The question is whether that's a fair criticism or not.

I don't know if it is. I know that being a mod, I'm going to be far from objective on that point.

However it is interesting to see the directions people think we should move in to improve things.

I really should start keeping track of names and dates, but in the past 18 months, the mod team has collectively been criticised for both being nazi mods, and letting things go too far.

We've had users leave because we won't help them ignore people they should really be ignoring.

And we've had users leave because they can't abide to live by the rules that have been part of atomic for as long as I've been involved, sometimes by convention, but often by law.

I feel like it's a bit of a moving target for the mods. We've trialled lower involvement moderation, letting people go further and play rougher.

And the feedback that we got, overwhelmingly told us that it didn't work. That users felt bullied, that we should try and maintain the peace.

Then we get the opposite issue. People want it to be like it was back in the day, when Ben would verbally smack someone down and that would be the end of it.

And a lot of the discussion seems to be entirely ignorant of the facts, context or situation. I saw ferris post in the locked thread, that David is waiting to kill the forums. That he's got his hand on the switch, waiting to turn it off, and that something is stopping him. You know what? If David wanted the forums gone, they'd be gone. David has probably been the single biggest reason the forums have run for the past two years. Sure, he might not be as involved as Ben was, particularly when Ben was "Online Editor", but that's a simple staffing issue. Which brings us back to investment and revenue, as Nich alluded to. It might be that forums like atomic, are just going to disappear, whether we are rigid robo-nazi mods or chilled out hippies. If I (or anyone else) had the answer to these problems, we could go and draw a seven figure salary from newscorp.

What I do believe, is that we won't attract new users if we allow posters to run riot.

We won't attract new users, if threads are full of blank posts because someone ragequit the forums, or the argument in that thread.

The rules we have and follow, I don't believe are fundamentally flawed.

There are ways we could improve how the mod team interacts with forum users, and a big part of that is the RTM system. Unfortunately, there's not really scope to fix that problem. See Nich's earlier points.

Can i still be a mod?

For the love of all things good, do not give this man mod privileges!!
I know! I'm quite enjoying my non-banned status, thank you very much! :-p

Nah, just kidding. You wouldn't ban little ol' me, would you, Caelum? :-) ... ... Caelum?

Oh dear :-(

I don't buy into that 'the mods are killing this place' logic. Partly because one side says that the mods are doing too much modding and killing the place, and the other is saying that the mods aren't cleaning up enough shit which is killing this place.

How about people had kids, or grandkids, or changed jobs, or moved town/state/country, or died. Nope, must be the evil mods.

PS Fuck you TB :p

Edited by Nich...

jeepers.

A lot of heavy stuff in this thread.

You can change or you can stay the same, but you can't do both.

There aint no time machines, so you have to make do with going forward in time.

People leave all the time (and on a regular basis), sometimes they hold a grudge, sometimes they just need a break.

Really, it's the members that own the forums, yes, Haymarket provide the bits, but it's us who make the community what it is. The Mods shouldn't really have any say in the direction of the community, they are here to make sure things don't get out of hand. (yes, the mods themselves provide very valued contributions to the community, but they shouldn't "run" it)

I really should start keeping track of names and dates, but in the past 18 months, the mod team has collectively been criticised for both being nazi mods, and letting things go too far.

Ah, but both can be true. :) A thread might be let go where many of the posts are just insults while on the other hand someone makes a single, unintentional mistake and gets banned without warning. So I think it is possible for some things to be overmoderated while others are undermoderated.

Anyway, I think pointing the finger at the current set of mods is unfair since the 'shedding' of some more experienced members was happening while I was still a mod (and one of the reasons I stood down). That doesn't mean I agree with the current mods all the time, just that I see moderation as having a small impact on user turnover...

Edited by Mac Dude

I'm well aware that what makes it to the forum public is the outcome of a lot of contextual stuff from PM and TB, and while I'm certainly not suggesting that stuff be made public, I will that that to an outsider who's not privy to the broader picture, this all looks incredibly fucked up.

I gotta be honest, I don't hate the idea of someone like TinBane or Garph leading a whole new crew of mods. Not that I don't think the ones we have are doing well, or that I'm not grateful for their service, but it's clear that something's wrong and it seems most people are pointing to the mods. Maybe if new people took it up, it might get approached a different way, and it might foster just enough change to make a difference. Might not, too, but I reckon it's worth solid try.

--edit-- And please don't think that that's an attack on any of the people wearing Mod tags. I'm sure you're all lovely, with the exception of TinBane who is in fact the Devil.

The question is whether that's a fair criticism or not.

I don't know if it is. I know that being a mod, I'm going to be far from objective on that point.

However it is interesting to see the directions people think we should move in to improve things.

We've had users leave because we won't help them ignore people they should really be ignoring.

And we've had users leave because they can't abide to live by the rules that have been part of atomic for as long as I've been involved, sometimes by convention, but often by law.

I feel like it's a bit of a moving target for the mods. We've trialled lower involvement moderation, letting people go further and play rougher.

And the feedback that we got, overwhelmingly told us that it didn't work. That users felt bullied, that we should try and maintain the peace.

Then we get the opposite issue. People want it to be like it was back in the day, when Ben would verbally smack someone down and that would be the end of it.

And a lot of the discussion seems to be entirely ignorant of the facts, context or situation. I saw ferris post in the locked thread, that David is waiting to kill the forums. That he's got his hand on the switch, waiting to turn it off, and that something is stopping him. You know what? If David wanted the forums gone, they'd be gone. David has probably been the single biggest reason the forums have run for the past two years. Sure, he might not be as involved as Ben was, particularly when Ben was "Online Editor", but that's a simple staffing issue. Which brings us back to investment and revenue, as Nich alluded to. It might be that forums like atomic, are just going to disappear, whether we are rigid robo-nazi mods or chilled out hippies. If I (or anyone else) had the answer to these problems, we could go and draw a seven figure salary from newscorp.

What I do believe, is that we won't attract new users if we allow posters to run riot.

We won't attract new users, if threads are full of blank posts because someone ragequit the forums, or the argument in that thread.

The rules we have and follow, I don't believe are fundamentally flawed.

There are ways we could improve how the mod team interacts with forum users, and a big part of that is the RTM system. Unfortunately, there's not really scope to fix that problem. See Nich's earlier points.

I'm with you on the moving target bit, as I actually do pay quite close attention to the forums despite being a dirty lurker these days.

Please don't misinterpret my post as a vote of no confidence in the existing team, or a criticism of the job you guys are doing. I'm spitballing, and fwiw I reckon if we had a fresh set of faces people might reassess their own place in the forums too.

I've always been a Green Room guy. Tak don't tech, you know this. As I said in the General Chat thread over there, I miss spending weeknights F5'ing the quick moving Green Room, because all my mates were there shooting the shit and having fun conversations, in borderline spam threads that served no purpose other than to have an off topic yak, which given the tech oriented nature of the site was, I believe, the whole idea in the first place. I think the userbase has changed, and a lot of those old, funny, lively characters have gone. That can't be helped. But I also reckon (I does reckons, I tells ya) that the new users have walked into a place that is as some have said, srs business threads with every detail being picked apart and more people arguing than having a good time. Maybe arguing for those guys IS fun, I dunno. I don't dig climate change threads. This isn't about me though.

I'm rambling. Hang on.

I think the new users have walked into srs business, and assumed that's how it's done and carried on. To moderate srs business though mods need to be equally srs, and I reckon that's just become the tone. You guys adjust to the needs of the community, and since the community's gotten all srs so have you, and I think the fact that this is a respone to us has gone overlooked by people complaining about nazi mods. I believe you guys set the tone, and if you've become all serious-like to police a serious community, then that will engender more seriousness from the community in turn, and so on. I think new faces would set a new tone, and maybe that would flow down into a more stable, cohesive community like we used to have.

Or it could blow up in all our faces. I dunno. I'm not a bloody genius. Get off my nuts.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that I believe firmly that change starts at the top, and I wonder if maybe it isn't worth a bash. I know a lot of people are dissatisfied, and I restate my knowledge that I'm only privy to some of the information on this recent turn of events. I didn't realise that deleting one's own posts was an infraction nowdays, so my surprise and reaction to that thing above was genuine. I gotta tell you I don't agree with it, but that's not my call.

--edit-- Privy, not partial. I has a English.

Edited by Takoma

Can i still be a mod?

Can you out-mod this guy?

Posted Image

He doesn't give a single fuck...

I lol'd. Well played.

Can i still be a mod?

For the love of all things good, do not give this man mod privileges!!
I know! I'm quite enjoying my non-banned status, thank you very much! :-p

Nah, just kidding. You wouldn't ban little ol' me, would you, Caelum? :-) ... ... Caelum?

Oh dear :-(

I'm expecting to be at least suspended at some point soon now :P

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that I believe firmly that change starts at the top, and I wonder if maybe it isn't worth a bash.

sure is, Meow for mod.

I'm new, fresh and new.

PS Fuck you TB :p

Don't be like that, baby :)

I'd trot out the old "great minds" cliche, but I don't believe that it has much validity.

So instead I'll suggest that it's because we are both part of the evil oligarchy clique that stomps forum newbs for fun, and creates as much group-think as possible. :P~

I'm with you on the moving target bit, as I actually do pay quite close attention to the forums despite being a dirty lurker these days.

Please don't misinterpret my post as a vote of no confidence in the existing team, or a criticism of the job you guys are doing. I'm spitballing, and fwiw I reckon if we had a fresh set of faces people might reassess their own place in the forums too.

I've always been a Green Room guy. Tak don't tech, you know this. As I said in the General Chat thread over there, I miss spending weeknights F5'ing the quick moving Green Room, because all my mates were there shooting the shit and having fun conversations, in borderline spam threads that served no purpose other than to have an off topic yak, which given the tech oriented nature of the site was, I believe, the whole idea in the first place. I think the userbase has changed, and a lot of those old, funny, lively characters have gone. That can't be helped. But I also reckon (I does reckons, I tells ya) that the new users have walked into a place that is as some have said, srs business threads with every detail being picked apart and more people arguing than having a good time. Maybe arguing for those guys IS fun, I dunno. I don't dig climate change threads. This isn't about me though.

I'm rambling. Hang on.

I think the new users have walked into srs business, and assumed that's how it's done and carried on. To moderate srs business though mods need to be equally srs, and I reckon that's just become the tone. You guys adjust to the needs of the community, and since the community's gotten all srs so have you, and I think the fact that this is a respone to us has gone overlooked by people complaining about nazi mods. I believe you guys set the tone, and if you've become all serious-like to police a serious community, then that will engender more seriousness from the community in turn, and so on. I think new faces would set a new tone, and maybe that would flow down into a more stable, cohesive community like we used to have.

Or it could blow up in all our faces. I dunno. I'm not a bloody genius. Get off my nuts.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is that I believe firmly that change starts at the top, and I wonder if maybe it isn't worth a bash. I know a lot of people are dissatisfied, and I restate my knowledge that I'm only privy to some of the information on this recent turn of events. I didn't realise that deleting one's own posts was an infraction nowdays, so my surprise and reaction to that thing above was genuine. I gotta tell you I don't agree with it, but that's not my call.

--edit-- Privy, not partial. I has a English.

I personally think that a lot of that stuff has just moved to facebook, as it's a media designed to be used in that way. And that leaves the political, religious, "srs" business in the green room. And that generates friction, without the socialising aspect that existed before where you could disagree vehemently with someone in one thread, and talk shit with them in another.

I'm not sure that changing mods will achieve that, but I don't know.

I think that for a long while, the atomic community has been divided. There are definitely people that frequent this site for completely different reasons. And I think they expect different things. And of course, the minute the mod team tries to "play it by ear" the choruses of "inconsistency" chime up.

I blame Dungeons and Dragons, and that new "Hip Hop" banging loud music. And eminem and video games.

I blame Dungeons and Dragons, and that new "Hip Hop" banging loud music. And eminem and video games.

Hey, don't blame the D20!

Also saddened and frankly disappointed over this whole saga. Not only hulkster's leaving, but also the apparent belief that I'm wanting to ditch the place. Seriously, you guys have no idea how wrong that is; you know, a lot of the time there's swathes of stuff I don't like about the current community, but that doesn't stop me having regular stand-up arguments about how important this place is to the business, or why we really do need The Green Room.

The Calm Blue Ocean Room?

Actually, that sounds a really chillaxed cocktail bar... I like it!

The Calm Blue Ocean Room?

Actually, that sounds a really chillaxed cocktail bar... I like it!

Alternate forum theme?

We could have flamewar red, and zen ocean blue. :)

I'm already planning the cocktail list.

And no, there will not be a green slushy.

Don't be like that, baby :)

I'd trot out the old "great minds" cliche, but I don't believe that it has much validity.

So instead I'll suggest that it's because we are both part of the evil oligarchy clique that stomps forum newbs for fun, and creates as much group-think as possible. :P

You say evil oligarchy clique, I say drones for Elvenwhore. She has this way of whispering in your ear and making you forget your objections, until you wake up the next day with a sore head. She must be stopped, but who would believe the darkness that hides within the heart of such a calm and serene exterior? :

I know a forum that has a place called Fight Club.

i've already said too much about it.