Xen

Community announcement: A call to all lurkers

Hey Hulkster!

I miss your blue tagginess!

That's what you get posting one line out of a very long PM from a mod :) So theres your lesson kiddies.

I should of threatened to punch someones head in, would of been a 30 day suspension and kept the tag LOL.

I should of threatened to punch someones head in, would of been a 30 day suspension and kept the tag LOL.

Come at me bro.

I sure I've seen the-salty-peanut's name around before (prior to me replying to his thread in CE yesterday ;), but it's a dim memory.

Welcome back, tsp!

Atomic. A community in eclipse.

I dont know why I came here, its been a long time. And now I see there is a sticky asking the old guard to post again, but they have long been driven away, or scared to post for fear of banning. Old faces are still around, Nich +1s all my science stuff on G+, I watch what Juggs does on Facebork, but the rest have gone on to greener pastures, greener than the Green room.

Atomic decay.

We had some good times.

It's a Kommando! :-)

I think I'm just going to have to lock you all in a cage to keep you all near :-)

Edited by elvenwhore

Atomic. A community in eclipse.

I dont know why I came here, its been a long time. And now I see there is a sticky asking the old guard to post again, but they have long been driven away, or scared to post for fear of banning. Old faces are still around, Nich +1s all my science stuff on G+, I watch what Juggs does on Facebork, but the rest have gone on to greener pastures, greener than the Green room.

Atomic decay.

We had some good times.

That'd be right.

especially with the changes with the mag and around here. Last time I saw an Atomic mag I could barely find articles inbetween all the ads.

That's a pretty retarded exaggeration. Every mag has some adds. Atomic does have that much.

If you think its too hard to find content on a Atomic mag, you'll think every page is an add in a APC one.

I logged in to post this, first time been back here in ages and I see I've missed nothing. Suprised my account even still active. Moved onto to bigger and better sites. I used to be subscriber back around 2000-2002 but all went downhill soon after, especially with the changes with the mag and around here. Last time I saw an Atomic mag I could barely find articles inbetween all the ads.

Very easy to miss nothing in a community when you add nothing of value.

Yeah dam right.

That's really rich coming from a guy that only made 3 posts in god knows how many years. :P

And this is what killed it. The atomic elitism.

The endless arguments, the banning of good posters and promoting shit twinkies to heroes.

How the mighty fall.

THIS needs a 'like' button!!

I check in once every often, rarely ever post for the above reasons!

Hi ima lurker

I'd just like to say i hope this place is better than ocau where the admins think they are god and make up rules as they go!

Nice spelling there. It makes you sound even cooler, so it's a shame we'll never be bronies together :

Nice spelling there. It makes you sound even cooler, so it's a shame we'll never be bronies together :<

It was brilliant wasn't it. I particularly enjoyed the punctuation although the scintillating social commentary was a standout as well.

Acting like a cunt and then playing the troll flag - how original. It'd work, too, if it wasn't for those damn kids the fact that you're the only one QQing here!

it's interesting. how i read the original post was a call and reminder that just because the replies are declining doesn't mean some quality people aren't reading.

phone post. apologize for crap punctuation and grammar.

ad

it's interesting. how i read the original post was a call and reminder that just because the replies are declining doesn't mean some quality people aren't reading.

ad

That's a big part of it. My theory is that a lot of people have no real wish to post in the current environment because they can't be bothered with the venom and vitriol that comes with the territory, but a fair few people are still happy to drop in, lurk and read cause for all the rivers of shit, there's still a few diamonds in there now and then. Problem is that's not really enough to reverse the slow decline, there has to be something to encourage people to contribute and engage in the community.

For the past near-two years I've checked in regularly to read. But actually contribute? You couldn't pay me enough any more, even this post wouldn't be here if I didn't feel it was important to say.

ad

That's a big part of it. My theory is that a lot of people have no real wish to post in the current environment because they can't be bothered with the venom and vitriol that comes with the territory, but a fair few people are still happy to drop in, lurk and read cause for all the rivers of shit, there's still a few diamonds in there now and then. Problem is that's not really enough to reverse the slow decline, there has to be something to encourage people to contribute and engage in the community.

For the past near-two years I've checked in regularly to read. But actually contribute? You couldn't pay me enough any more, even this post wouldn't be here if I didn't feel it was important to say.

What is sooo wrong with the current environment ??? You make it sound damn evil !

Where is the venom and vitriol ? I'm not being anything other than serious here. As for the "rivers of shit " for pete's sake, maybe you should not come back ... maybe you should edit out the posts you've made recently.

Would hate to see them smeared by the "rivers of shit ".

It's like you want to live in the past. My view is that you / we learn from the past and move on.

And anyway thanks for contributing, it slows down that " slow decline " you mentioned :)

ad

What is sooo wrong with the current environment ??? You make it sound damn evil !

Where is the venom and vitriol ? I'm not being anything other than serious here. As for the "rivers of shit " for pete's sake, maybe you should not come back ... maybe you should edit out the posts you've made recently.

Would hate to see them smeared by the "rivers of shit ".

It's like you want to live in the past. My view is that you / we learn from the past and move on.

And anyway thanks for contributing, it slows down that " slow decline " you mentioned :)

Re the "venom and vitriol" bit... Honestly, there is less of that now than in the 'good old days' so many people reminisce about so fondly. There are almost constant arguments on some subjects, usually amongst the same people each time, but they're mostly fairly well behaved considering how invested in th subject those people are. On those occasions when someone does get some rather pointed comments made toward them, it's usually because they've picked a fight and used inflammatory language themselves - like warmachine just did.

I lurked here for years before eventually making a post. Why so long? Because the atmosphere here then was somewhat intimidating. Now, it's not so much intimidating as whiny - which is even more off-putting. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Constant bitching from the old guard about how shit everything is today puts off new people from even sticking around to lurk, let alone post. And it's not just scaring off the newbies, it's chasing off the old guard themselves - they're surrounded by talk of how it's not the same as it was* and they start believe it (people do that - it's not mental weakness).

If you think there aren't enough posts, then YOU post. If you think the quality of posts is poor, then improve your own. (That's a generic 'you' there - I'm not pointing any fingers.)

--

*Of course, it's not the same. With every newcomer that arrives, and every original that leaves, the tone of the place will change. That's not some deficiency - that's just how dynamic systems work.

Thanks Cybes :)

the santa's post pissed me off so much I logged out for a bit .

While it's nice that some people care enough to keep coming back, it makes me scratch my head a little that the tone sometimes stays monotonously close to only ever telling us what is wrong with the place, and how much more awesome it was when they were around x years ago. But not y years ago, because they were still here but things were already bad and broken by then.

There's certainly a spectacle in some threads, here and there, but why would you keep coming back to read a forum but not contribute? Surely there are much more entertaining places online.

I lurked here for years before eventually making a post. Why so long? Because the atmosphere here then was somewhat intimidating. Now, it's not so much intimidating as whiny - which is even more off-putting.

lol I have been around since the original forums that are now archived, if I type my own name into google it points to the archives so I hope nobody types my real name into google one day or they mite figure out what I troll I was

I have had alot of entertainment from just casually coming here and winding people up in the past its always been easy but I was a troll and it wasn't always cool to do that to other people, im sorry

10) The winner of strangest atomican goes to.... thecode!!!!!!!!!! 

5) The winner of most entertaining spammer goes to.... thecode!!!!!!!!!! http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp...t=16147&p=0

that was one of me alter egos bitches yesi was at high school then or I had just left school I don't remember

anyway I have no excuse for my shit grammar but it was always shit anyway but if it helps im missing my full-stop button and cant afford a new keyboard but i'll try do my best to compose better punctuated messages in the future here

so yeah I was only winding yeas up before your not all a bunch of crybaby's your all cool people and I always thought that

sorry anyways cos I was a real asshole here in the past

Edited by warmachine