PointZeroOne

Forum Feature Request

So thinking it might be an idea to look into making it so posts can't be edited after a certain amount of time.

Because certain threads around here have become very confusing with certain people rage quitting and going through and deleting their posts.

It isn't possible.

Legally speaking, the T&C requires that people be able to remove any copyrighted content from their posts.

Nah nothing to do with the EK thread, although it did remind me about some other person who rage quitted not so long ago and I was reading through the thread and they had deleted their posts. Was really annoying as the thread was interesting content, but it was unreadable in it's form

I dunno. How are you going with removing your copyrighted content from both sets of archives?

One forum I'm on has no post editing at all, and you are given opportunity to preview before you post, and if you slip up, live with it, or email a modmin.

Here I have no drama with post editing, the odd ragequitter I can live with.

I dunno. How are you going with removing your copyrighted content from both sets of archives?

pretty sure a mod could still edit it out, if legally required to.

an old forum i was on before invision used to leave a post open for edit, until the next reply, then it becomes stone.

I sometimes edit hours later but only ever for spelling and syntax errors that I notice later. I am crap at picking up errors before posting and think mis-spelling and such make me look a bit silly. It's just a matter of pride really.

I can't even log into the archives, i'm still banned over there!

rofl!

That's funny :)

I keep asking to be unbanned, but they always say no :(

WHAT HAPPENED ABOUT AN AMNESTY!?

I sometimes edit hours later but only ever for spelling and syntax errors that I notice later. I am crap at picking up errors before posting and think mis-spelling and such make me look a bit silly. It's just a matter of pride really.

sensible forum names and pretending* to be drunk work for me.

*sometimes I am drunk, but I do not want to spoil the mystery.

I keep asking to be unbanned, but they always say no :(

WHAT HAPPENED ABOUT AN AMNESTY!?

It's not like we can use the mod tools on the archive.

We can't get into the old mod cave, nor can we get direct access to the DB.

It isn't possible.

Legally speaking, the T&C requires that people be able to remove any copyrighted content from their posts.

Not really sure what you mean by this.

To address the OP. It is possible, and we've contemplated it before (a few times). Every time something like this comes up, we've rehashed the idea. Ultimately, it comes down to making a choice between having posts uneditable after a set time, and being able to edit OPs of threads which is done in numerous places, especially in the tech forums. OPs are routinely kept up to date as new information comes in. This change would prevent that.

Yes I can see how it'd break things like that, and potentially cause extra overhead for the mods/board mod to manage/update that kind of thread.

Yes I can see how it'd break things like that, and potentially cause extra overhead for the mods/board mod to manage/update that kind of thread.

Unfortunately that's right.

We can prevent users on an individual basis from being able to edit their posts, but that's generally only useful if they are a repeat offender.

That would break so many threads though.

My 3DMark/Benchmark thread, the pi thread, the GPU power requirements, Dasa's parts guide,

And likely a few more, these all need constant editing over long periods of time.

How about build/project logs? I know when I write one, I like to update the main post as it progresses, who wants to sift through to page 5 to find one picture of a radiator finally installed?

Hulks' thread is a fairly isolated case, I don't think stopping post edits is a good idea on this forum at least.

EDIT: Blegh, yes Tinbane pretty much touched on this, I missed that part :./

Edited by Morgoth

I think it's something we should look at for those who offend a number of times (say three strikes?) by selectively disabling their editing ability, but as others have said, it'd break build logs and hardware stuff.

Nice idea though :)

I don't understand the problem with it. If someone goes back and changes something in their post to add new information in their argument (as I'm guessing is the issue), doesn't that just make them look lame? This just looks like people getting all uppity and trying to WIN AT THE INTERNET. Particularly when we start talking about bans for it. It's just not that serious a deal, guys.

Nah nothing to do with the EK thread, although it did remind me about some other person who rage quitted not so long ago

Fyi, this person you speak of did NOT rage quit.

So.....

I do not know whether this limit will be good or not but there is such thing as a trial and I guess that is up to you know who to make the decision.

Edited by Blue Fire

I think it's something we should look at for those who offend a number of times (say three strikes?) by selectively disabling their editing ability, ... snip

Nice idea though :)

TheFrunj's comment reminds me of Leonid :) I'd have to go back over threads he was in a few times to make sure I was up to date :)

hulkster only removed his photos, and not all of them at that. So even with that hi-cup, you could still follow the thread.

Bob The Monkey on the other hand went the full ninja cut which was pretty silly ( imo ) ...

I used to think cutting the edit function after 24hrs would be the go, but now I don't think so.FWIW, I'd say leave it how it is.

... It's interesting to see how different members will behave when stuff gets all ' hot an' heavy ' :P