Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Is it ethical?

A friend of mine has spend his post-highschool years living on centrelink for the most part, with the exception of a bit of work here and there, that was cut short each time due to something related to his low work ethic and general laziness.

He had a few classic moments such as complaining to us about centrelink paying him late, I'm not sure why he'd complain about that to the people who work to provide the money he so loved to receive for doing nothing, with low living costs (with his parents) he wasn't exactly living on baked beans.

I've got no issue with people who legitimately cannot work, or struggle to find a job, despite huge efforts - not their fault.

This person is a capable adult and could do various things, such as wooleys even, decided he was above it and didn't like people - right.. Well his best friend got a job there and said "well at least I've got money".

Anywho, fast forward, he finally decided to get a job after failing to get back into tafe to be a lazy again.

Great, good work, this is what we like to see.

The job is basically packing stock for a distributer, in a warehouse.

Here's the part I'm not real sure about, or entirely comfortable with

One week in, going well, blows his whole pay week by week kind of guy,

he hurts his shoulder, turns out he had an old shoulder injury, will need time off work for physio/rest etc etc.

He turns to compo, it's not gone ahead yet, but surely when starting a job that's 90% lifting/packing, when you sign up, there is some clause or agreement or something to say if you shouldn't lift things due to an old injury? Or at least that the employer isn't liable or responsible if you aggrevate an old injury?

I don't know much about it, but they way I'm seeing it, he can't make a successful claim for compo unless he lies or should I say, conveniently leaves out previous injury details?

Then I don't see how this is possible due to the fact that the doctor would make report of this maybe?

He spent all his money and says this compo is his only option, I'm not sure if he knows that the process takes time and sure as shit wont go through in time to pay his next weeks rent.

Morally, I find his position on the whole thing pretty bad taste, especially being so willing to take handouts via possibly circumventing the fairly bad compo system we have, also adding that it's not like hes an asset or has invested his life into the place, having worked a total of 5 days there.

I'd like some thoughts on this, maybe I'm too biased, being someone that's not lived on welfare.

cheers.

Edited by Morgoth

Was his previous injury also on the job? If so workcover should already know.

Sorry I forgot to add, no it was on his own time.

Personally, I'd reckon anyone would be obliged to mention pre-existing conditions prior to starting a new job.

Personally, I'd reckon anyone would be obliged to mention pre-existing conditions prior to starting a new job.

You'd think so, but he's not a bright spark and I don't think he took a trip to the doctors the first time

I have lived on Welfare most of my life and i have good health reasons for it. Plus i have been certified by 2 Commonwealth Doctors.

I must say this sounds rather odd in every way. Is he a Illegal Immigrant? For a Shoulder injury you need to be working to claim compo or any form of Insurance.

Must say i was in a car accident and tried to claim insurance all i got was money back for pain killers and psychological stress ,which was about $5,500 and my Lawyer got $16,000 for fees.

He's Aussie.

I find it bad taste that he gets a lifting job on a knowingly bung shoulder, pull it straight away, then claim compo, I don't think it's right.

I have to put it out there.. I've never ever gotten a woolies job, not even an interview, only rejection letters ages later, seems I just cannot answer their questionaire's right.

I only seem to be able to get work with owner/operator businesses (usually in the CBD) which almost all pay cash and below award for casual.

I remember one well known catering company I worked for.. they did it legit in their own kitchen.. but go on an event.. I was a sole kitchen hand for a function of neary 200 people and didn't have proper facilities on location, no commercial dish washer, had to wash massive catering trays all day in one of the hand rinsing basins about 20cm across with a tap jutting out in the middle.. 13 hours, 5-10 minute breaks for meals, start up for breakfast again after 5 hours of sleep (I had to do truck unpacking and loading as well) I swear I nearly died. Scrubbing melted burnt plastic off the trays is a bitch (apparently it's common practise in the industry to cook the food in the -ovens- with plastic wrap over it, not foil, I asked the owner/head chef, he say foil sticks to food).

Of course all their 'camps'/functions where you go to a place are 'day rate' in cash, which wound up to be half the award rate of normal hours during the week, not retarded hours on saturday sunday etc.

So many of the places offering work to people without solid back to back work experience, among other things, are dodgy as fuck and illegal work. It's rife as fuck. If I find myself without work and really need a job I can get one within a week, just not one that pays the minimum rate, tax, super annuation, and is safe, etc.

Compo scam does seem dodgy, but perhaps he wasn't banking on re-injuring himself (at which point if he's considering self-harm I'd say he's not psychologically fit to be working around other people).

If I was you ,I would be asking myself 'Why am I this guys friend?'

Well I'd put it as more of an acquaintance that I don't usually see eye-to-eye with?

I never hang out, nor really talk much to, or really ever see him.

But if his place burned down and his parents house on the same day, I'd put him up for a night?

But if his place burned down and his parents house on the same day, I'd put him up for a night?

Considering his previous injury, and might have done it on purpose, are you not suspicious that he would have caused said fires in this hypothetical situation? :P

Considering his previous injury, and might have done it on purpose, are you not suspicious that he would have caused said fires in this hypothetical situation? :P

I'd make him pay rent, upfront.

Compromise

He's Aussie.

I find it bad taste that he gets a lifting job on a knowingly bung shoulder, pull it straight away, then claim compo, I don't think it's right.

If he did injure himself at work he is entitled to compo. But he should have told his employer that he was carrying an injury. If he did and they employed him, it's all above board. If he didn't he is in the wrong. Ethically, anyway. As far as workcover is concerned a workplace injury is a workplace injury. But the amount of "extra" injury on top of the existing condition is factored in. So they don't just chuck money at you, the process is pretty time consuming.

This is interesting http://www.workcoverqld.com.au/forms-and-r...isting-symptoms

Yeah, here's hoping that they approach it that way.

I've seen a case go so shockingly bad, throwing money at someone who couldn't get dates right, or what footwear at the time of the fall (turned out to be crocs, big nono, but still got full compo)

and holy shit@ that link =[

Edited by Morgoth

I have to put it out there.. I've never ever gotten a woolies job, not even an interview, only rejection letters ages later, seems I just cannot answer their questionaire's right.

I only seem to be able to get work with owner/operator businesses (usually in the CBD) which almost all pay cash and below award for casual.

Maybe it's your interview attire.

Maybe it's your interview attire.

They can't see your interview attired on an application.

If your "mate" does make out like a bandit you could console yourself but taking up a friendly solid shoulder slapping/ punching habit or clumsily repeatedly falling and grabbing that arm for emergency full body weight support.

If he lies about a pre-existing condition it isn't at all ethical, but that's for his conscious to deal with.

I doubt he is going to come out of this with much if anything. My experience is that these things rarely get off the ground. Because he was only there a week, the employer isn't going to bend over backwards to do the right thing, investigators are going to do there damndest to uncover any inconsistencies, and in all likelyhood karma is gonna ensure his back at Centerlink begging to ensure he isn't thrown out within a fortnight.

Compo is a pipe dream all these guys have.

Edited by BeDLaM#29

I work at coles casually while I go to uni, the business is rife with people who hurt themselves cause of poor lifestyles (lack of exercise and obesity being the main reasons), we get back strains, wrist injuries, bad ankles, people who are always claiming to be sick, you name it coles still employ them regardless of their physical health, one of the managers told me it cost the business something like 160million a year to deal with :/

most manual handling jobs require a physical and for you to sign a medical history sheet thing. So if he filled it in correctly stating he had an injury and they still got him to lift shit, then i think he is within his right to claim compo from the company. But if he neglected to mention it then its his own problem.

Well, I think he's a lazy bastard from what you said, and given the facts present here at the moment and assuming that is it, I would be doing 2 things:

1: Call WorkCover, and make an anon report that the guy has been complaining about that shoulder since forever and was well aware of it

2: Would ask around my mates and see if they have any work going, if so, ask if they could offer your mate a job - Once he rejects, call Centrelink and report that they refused a valid job offer (Breech)

I do not take to this shit well - People ripping systems off is what causes them to be locked down tight (To prevent the ripping off) - What this actually does though is make life fucking hard for the people who really do need these services, and it's usually a rough time for them because they genuinely need help - But too many arseholes have made everyone overly protective of what they do offer and who to

If any of my mates were doing dodge shit like this and we heard about it, we'd put an end to it in the most arsehole way possible

Edited by Khirareq

Friend?

Fuck him. I had a 'friend' like that once. My oldest and who I thought was my best friend. Massive pothead, dropped out in year 11 but basically stopped going in year 8/9. Lived with his mum the whole time and still does (he's almost 27 now). The only job he had was a couple of days a week delivering furniture. Now he packs shelves at a small company. I always knew it, but never wanted to admit it to myself that his life was a massive joke. Anyway, when he started bad mouthing me behind my back and hitting on the girl I was seeing at the time, I knew it was time to get that moron out of my life. Things have been so much better ever since.

This guy you describe sounds the same. People like that have no moral backbone, the go no where in life. You're better off just telling him he's a dickhead and if he doesn't change, cut the prick out of your life.

I only know him by association the last few years,

As far as I know, he is entitled to help but the employers insurance won't pay out any extra if his case looks sus.

So he'll get some compo help, but il strangle him if he drops out of work and tries scamming disability off centre link :(

I feel the same way as khirareq about bludgers and scammers,

But I think he will keep his job, firstly because you can't fire someone on compo