Sign in to follow this  
ae86represent

2500k CPU cooler advise

Hey Peps.

Need some advise on a suitable cooler for my new i5 2500K powered rig.

Placed the order for all the parts today. They had everything in stock apart from the 7870, which they will ship once stock arrives. Rest of the goodies should be 2-3 working days away. I had no idea on coolers when I placed the order, and though I'd just do a little research and buy one over the next couple of days.

Have I read correctly that the new SB CPU's run relatively cool and do not need massive coolers for decent over clocks? I don't plan on pushing for 5ghz or anything crazy, but at the same time I don't want heat to be the limiting factor when overclocking.

Can anyone suggest a decent, reasonably priced cooler? Say in the $65-$90 price range. Any more and I think I'd look into an off the shelf water cooling setup like Corsair's H80 or similar.

Cheers.

Thermalright True Spirit $39

great price\performance edging out the cm 212 evo

next two are huge

Thermalright HR-02 Macho $59

good performance while being very quiet

Prolimatech Genesis $85

this hsf with two of these fans should beat most of those little water units

Yate Loon 140mm D14M-12 Fan $9

Im running the old XIGMATEK Dark knight cooler, @ 4.7 the temps are between 45-55 degrees here in ambient tassie conditions. It handles 5Ghz nice as well only peaking at 62 degrees few months ago when testing. e. And with the thats only using a Enermax white cluster fan, which is low rpm. :)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Xig...ler-Review/1346

Edited by Modz

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll do a little shopping around now that I have some idea on some half decent coolers. I probably should have specified earlier, but it would be nice if it was relatively quiet too. One of the reasons I was leaning towards a cheap off the shelf water cooler. Though I am sure with some careful fan selection, I should be able to manage a quiet setup on air too.

Also, my ram (GeIL 8G (2x4G) ENHANCE CORSA DDR3-1600/1700) has rather large heat spreaders, and so would probably foul on some of the larger coolers. Something I will have to be careful off I guess. And again another reason water might be a good option. That and the fact that due to size restraints (my desk was a gift and custom made at great expense, though sadly with only enough room for a mid tower case) the case I am using is not the best for air flow. I plan on spending some time modding to increase the air flow through the case, but the less heat generated in the case the better.

the H100 works well - never gets above 32c at idle, CoreTemp tells me that it's reached as low as 22c - even at 5.2G, load never gets above 70c running OCCT - anything below 5.00G, and the extreme load temp barely reaches 60c

best over the counter cooler I've ever used!

;)

I don't know much but I would look at Noctua for quiet cooling.