Sign in to follow this  
_sentinel

Archery

Recently got dragged down the local range to shoot a few arrows again, and found that even after 10 years since I've done this, I still love.

So in the interest of keeping myself busy, I thought what the hell, might as well get back into it.

So anyone here do archery a little more than on a casual basis, and can offer some advice on equipment and other stuff? I really don't like compound bows, more of a traditionalist, so wanting a recurve. Thinking about this in the 50lb version:

http://www.abbeyarchery.com.au/p/MAT2816/M...quot%3B+RH.html

It's great fun. As kids we used to shoot an arrow straight up in the air and then dodge it on the way down.

I wouldn't recommend it.

I haven't bought any gear in decades but that looks like a good deal. TD's are nice for storage and carting around too. I had one as my main target bow amongst a couple of old style recurves and longbows.

I only have two unused bows now, a toy 30# recurve and a Hoyt 58" solid recuve hunter rated at 60# but pulled around 70 with my draw length. I'd rip my arm off if I used it nowadays. :{(

Go for it as it is a wonderfull sport. If you get serious remember to do some extra gym work on your bow arm so you don't end up looking lopsided. :{D

Bloody spelling Ed.

Edited by Elfarch

Nice looking bow - Replaceable limbs, and that's pretty much the main thing I look for in a recurve bow (Limbs are prone to warping if you leave it stringed when not in use - But it also means you can adjust the poundage later on very easily)

I got a mate due round in a little bit to watch Naruto who is really big into the archery scene and I'll show him this and let you know if he spots anything

I'm about 250 off getting this puppy http://www.abbeyarchery.com.au/p/HYCEM/Hoy...ement+Camo.html Broke my Vectrix running from a pig and trying to climb a tree >.< Be able to move my whisker biscuit and everything over to it, so just need the bow

It's great fun. As kids we used to shoot an arrow straight up in the air and then dodge it on the way down.

I wouldn't recommend it.

lol thats the difference in generations isnt it, you did it in IRL i did it in oblivion :P

I am a right hander but I use a bow as a left hander.

Am I fucked?

Why would you be fucked? See no reason why you would be (Bows come in left and right hand versions)

I just hope you shoot left handed because you are left eye dominate (Point at a spot on the wall with your finger, and hold your hand - Then close one eye and leave the other open, then switch - Which eye is more on target with your finger? That's your dominate eye and defines which hand you should use for shooting)

Confusion comes from the "You sure this is a right handed bow? Im holding it in my left hand :S" - It's the hand you draw with

Edited by Khirareq

When I was a kid, archery was fucking cool.

Too bad I don't know where, or how to do it.

i used to be interested in archery, but then...

;D

Edited by @~thehung

When I was younger I loved to shoot archery. My brother gave me his old crossbow and I would shoot it a couple times a week. Everything was great until the string on the bear crossbow broke and slapped me in the face. That was several years ago and I haven't shot it since.

Posted (edited)

When I was younger I loved to shoot archery. My brother gave me his old crossbow and I would shoot it a couple times a week. Everything was great until the string on the bear crossbow broke and slapped me in the face. That was several years ago and I haven't shot it since.

A crossbow in this country will see you on the wrong end of a criminal weapons charge.

Edited by Master_Scythe

A crossbow in this country will see you on the wrong end of a criminal weapons charge.

We don't know his definition of "several". It could be before the ban - I played around with one before then, though I would have characterised that as "many" rather than "several". He might also not be from (or in) this country.

Still got a few of these laying around (target 'n hunting recurves 'n a couple of compounds), can't go back to using any of them until I sort out the problems with my left shoulder.

As far as only beefing up one arm - no, that only works when swinging bowling balls or professional masturbation. You're better off exercising and building up muscle in both arms and across the shoulders, because if you don't then you can end up with back 'n shoulder problems. Chiro is was seeing at one stage 'way back when recommended doing maybe a dozen or so plinks right-handed, then a couple of empty-bow pullbacks lefthanded to ease/balance the back out.

Holding that thought - for the uninitiated, Do Not Ever (!) Dry-Fire A Bow.

Crossbows can be still used but check your State/Territory laws on whether you need a license or not. And if you should be using a bow left-handed then get a left-handed one because the shape of the grip is different between left 'n right. Unless you play longbows, which don't give a shit on left- or right- handedness (last one of those I played with was a 120-pounder... THAT took some getting used to...).

And for those asking "Where Can I Start/Go?" - tickle Uncle Google for archery clubs 'n ranges or if you stumble across a shop selling archery gear (gunshops often do...) then ask them. Anyone thinking of taking this up for a plink would definitely be better to go to a club first, because not only can you have a go using their gear but you get professional advice on How To Plink Correctly and access to good second-hand gear as well.

Far out 6 year bump. The spam bots are really trolling back through time.