Sign in to follow this  
Betzie

Serious Question

I like to be blunt, Betzie is usually blunt right?

Why the fuck doesn't Atomic merge with OCAU or Hardforum and be Hardforum.au or something of the like?

Surely some turd can swing a venture to keep the community and the mag/online content workable, I know Haymarket is a business, but if someone can think out of the square?

If you have already tried then I'll go kick rocks for a while..

Betzie 2012!

*edit

Ok, the Atomic brand needs to be retained and made stronger, think you guys!?

Edited by Betzie

Atomic could have been Australia's premium tech brand. It was ours for the taking at one point.

Why the fuck doesn't Atomic merge with OCAU or Hardforum and be Hardforum.au or something of the like?

What would be in it for OCAU or Hardforum?

Atomic could have been Australia's premium tech brand. It was ours for the taking at one point.

Neither have a print format,

print media isn't enough anymore to make a killing, they'd be getting more work load, more risk - for little potential reward

Edited by orcone

Neither have a print format,

Ah, I was thinking about your question the other way around. In that case, it's an interesting idea.

Haymarket haven't shown a whole lot of imagination or inclination to invest since they bought the title. While I think (?) the website expansion occurred under them, which was a great move, they're also the ones who cut costs and staff to the bone and plugged the gaps with syndicated filler content, which had the predictable effect of slashing readership.

Of course, they now seem to be reinvesting in the title, including a digital edition, which is good news for all concerned. So there's life in the old girl yet.

Interesting idea of yours though. Consolidation of titles and readership is a big thing in the publishing world. Consolidating geek interests in one title would be a winner of an idea if it could be pulled off.

Edited by Virtuoso

Merge with them....BY FORCE.

Wait, so you want to make the forums... bigger?!?!

Christ, I'm not paid enough as it is.

Merge with them....BY FORCE.

An Atomic Raid on OCAU.

I like this idea.

I think about 80% of Tech Atomicans (If not more) are on OCAU... So.. In a way they already are together.

Besides. Serious question... Would you REALLY want Green Room on OCAU?

Keep them seperate.

AD

I was more so alluding to Haymarket leveraging the print and online magazine to a greater audience and condensing the current forums to a sub forum of the larger and far more technical forums of OCAU or Hardforum

Lots of opportunities for all parties, Haymarket gets greater exposure and the 2 suggested forums get more marketing opportunities.

I'm far to lazy to build a business model and pimp it (unless someone wants to pay me to do that..)

I'm sure some turd can work out how to make it viable.. if they want to.

Betz 2012!

OCAU's community is thriving.

Atomic's isn't.

Why would they want to be owned by Atomic or have anything to do with them?

OCAU's community is thriving.

Atomic's isn't.

Why would they want to be owned by Atomic or have anything to do with them?

I covered that point in my previous post, marketing opportunities for both.

End of the day it's a business and has to work and be viable, and in all honesty the Atomic forums are probably a cost centre.

I think it's more accurate to say the Forums are dying - we seem pretty healthy on Facebook, and site comments are better than they've ever been. We've had multiple articles hit more than 100 comments this year, a first for the site.

And my personal take on why the forums are going they way they are? It's way too introspective, too aware of its own existence AS a forum, and how that existence works. And like an individual too focused on the self, to the exclusion of all else, it suffers. That's my gut feeling, anyway.

No one seems to listen to me, but as a brand, Atomic's about as healthy as it's ever been.

I think it's more accurate to say the Forums are dying - we seem pretty healthy on Facebook, and site comments are better than they've ever been. We've had multiple articles hit more than 100 comments this year, a first for the site.

And my personal take on why the forums are going they way they are? It's way too introspective, too aware of its own existence AS a forum, and how that existence works. And like an individual too focused on the self, to the exclusion of all else, it suffers. That's my gut feeling, anyway.

No one seems to listen to me, but as a brand, Atomic's about as healthy as it's ever been.

Quite well put, I don't know about the FB side as I loath FB but from a purely tech prospective OCAU and Hardforum has it in spades over the Atomic forums.

As a joint venture or progression of the brand, call it what you like. Print media is limited in this day and age (not entirely dead yet) and the Atomic brand is well established, IIRC Atomic once tried to emarket the mag and charge for it, maybe that model didn't quite work.

My point was/is, with a strong print and online magazine presence Haymarket could (with the correct model) fill a niece within the OCAU or Hardforum communities which are huge in comparison to the Atomic community.

Maybe it is a conflict of interests?

http://www.haymarketmedia.asia/brands

From a purely business point of view, exposure of your brands and a greater audience (and ability for Haymarkets advertisers to reach that audience) I would think might enrich the brand and community.

While I have presented some ideas, it is up to the powers that be to decide what is best,

Strangely TGR and feedback are the only forums that tend to move, I think I asked a Q in photography last week and its still second from the top.

That said, a change is only good if it is a change for the better.

Sorry Dave H. Did you say something??? :P

I don't think the forums are 'dying' per say. They are going quieter. But how many times has that happened in the past? Lots.

I think it's just part of the cycle.

I suppose I could post more. :P

However, I will say this. Atomic forums are great. I've been on a few forums, and Atomic is one of those rare gems where the editors/writers join in on the fun. Often, the editors/writers are just mods and have to keep the forums at armslength. Kinda dull.

So, be thankful for what you have. Besides. Look at things like building and troubleshooting and the like. Even if your problem doesn't get solved, you'll find quite a few Atomicans will try to help you out, even if it's just furthering diagnosis.

AD

Haymarket could (with the correct model) fill a niece...

Uh, I think that's illegal.

In all honesty, though, what you're talking about is possible, but it would require we either share the income we currently generate with OCAU etc, or buy them out. Either way, it actually loses us money.

FYI, we keep the forum very separate from the front page for a reason - so we can keep the place pretty ad-free, which is what, I believe, the community prefers. Our online dollars come from the front page, which is what generates the most income for us.

Haymarket could (with the correct model) fill a niece...

Uh, I think that's illegal.

In all honesty, though, what you're talking about is possible, but it would require we either share the income we currently generate with OCAU etc, or buy them out. Either way, it actually loses us money.

FYI, we keep the forum very separate from the front page for a reason - so we can keep the place pretty ad-free, which is what, I believe, the community prefers. Our online dollars come from the front page, which is what generates the most income for us.

Depends on the age of the niece...

So i should actually start landing on the front page then go to the forums from there? (serious question)

I've started pretty much going directly to the forums now.

Well, it's up to you, I guess - and my answer's probably a touch biased!

But you'll find a lot more content going up on there. Got big hopes...

fair enuf hawkeye, just offering up some discussion rathur than trolling ;)

Atomic being a unique product and so is OCAU and Hardforum (I'm sure there are a few others)

To stimulate the marketspace is worthwhile for both the business interests and the community alike.

The saying "be greatfull for what you have got" shits me to tears.

If I had a shit sandwich why the fuck would I be greatfull for it? (not insinuating Atomic is a shit sandwich btw..)

There is great potential in the Atomic forums, its a long way behind the main players but also has a lot of added value to offer.

Appreciate the feedback tho David,

No doubt one day someone will find a way to take the .au tech scene to the next level, hopefully Atomic will lead the way ;)

Oh and anyone with a hot and barely legal niece send me a PM...

Stupid Google chrome didn't pick my shitty spelling up well enuf.

*edit

Betz for God 2012!

Edited by Betzie

While it'd be great to see, say, OCAU, Atomic and Whingepool all merge, each forum has such different vibes that I think it'd get weird and angsty so quickly. Not to mention PCPP would feel left out :

While it'd be great to see, say, OCAU, Atomic and Whingepool all merge, each forum has such different vibes that I think it'd get weird and angsty so quickly. Not to mention PCPP would feel left out :<

They can stay left out. I decided to go trolling yesterday but apparently it's going to take three weeks to reset my password.