Sign in to follow this  
MrFriendly

Prison life

I spent 10 days in a military prison.

I would take a guess that it is a lot easier than real gaol.

Didn't need to worry about getting shanked or butt fucked!

Not a navy military prison then?

I spent a day and one night in Long Bay when I was 17; it was a scare the bad kid’s straight scheme. Kind of worked, I did everything I could to stay out of the fucking place. Not like some of the other kids I was with at the time.

You got two prisoners who were part of the scheme to look after you, still scary as shit. The thing that gets you is just your complete lack of freedom to do anything, even take a dump in private.

Glad I stayed out, my sweet peach shaped arse wouldn’t have lasted one night in there on my own.

I would be the female version of Ryan O'Reilly. ;) Manipulation is the key.

It would be different in a female prison of course, but i still have no wish to become big Bertha's bitch.

Yeah, but Ryan keeps painting himself into corners too. I think that's the thing I couldn't deal with, all the politics and bullshit just to survive. I just wouldn't have the energy for it.

I think it's rather fair to say that I would get completely beaten down day in, day out.

Definitely not somewhere I plan to visit any time soon.

I would be the female version of Ryan O'Reilly. ;) Manipulation is the key.

It would be different in a female prison of course, but i still have no wish to become big Bertha's bitch.

Yeah, but Ryan keeps painting himself into corners too. I think that's the thing I couldn't deal with, all the politics and bullshit just to survive. I just wouldn't have the energy for it.

Yep, i have that trait also. >.<

I think it's rather fair to say that I would get completely beaten down day in, day out.

Definitely not somewhere I plan to visit any time soon.

You would be like Beecher, get arse raped for a while and then snap, go crazy and shit in someones mouth.

The majority of the replies to the article made me feel very saddened and confused. History shows us that cracking down as hard as we can on crime doesn't lower the crime rate in the long run. This is an oppertunity to try something different to the status quo and almost immediately it is regarded as being ineffective. I am glad however that our government is willing to try something different to this age old problem.

AS for AUS prison i'm fine in there, i'm a hard person with emotions, and pleople call me a hard ass at work, example break you arm i'm the type of "Just walk it off" kind of guy.

As for US prisons i'ld prolly bust someone up first day just to make sure i'm safe.

Rofl, been behind bars, and worked the other side of the bar.

The majority of the replies to the article made me feel very saddened and confused. History shows us that cracking down as hard as we can on crime doesn't lower the crime rate in the long run. This is an oppertunity to try something different to the status quo and almost immediately it is regarded as being ineffective. I am glad however that our government is willing to try something different to this age old problem.

For the record, I am not opposed to the idea. Some people will be dissuaded from crime due to the threat of prison and punishment, but most are just more determined to not get caught. We focus on making ourselves feel better (although that can be contested) and the cause of the problem goes unattended.

You must also take into consideration the average intelligence of news.com readers (I'm an outlier :p) and that while the represent quite a lot of Australia they don't represent the people that matter.

But what of justice for the victims of crime? What about their rights?

We as a society should decide whether we want to punish or rehabilitate criminals. But the victims of crime still deserve some sense of justice.

Prison shouldn't be a cake walk, nor should it be a place where you walk out harder and more dangerous than when you walked in.

Rehabilitation will work for many, but what of those who show no remorse or simply can't be rehabilitated.

But I guess anything is better than the US where well over 2 million people are incarcerated.

Rehabilitation will work for many, but what of those who show no remorse or simply can't be rehabilitated.

That's the point I was addressing.

But what of justice for the victims of crime? What about their rights?

We as a society should decide whether we want to punish or rehabilitate criminals. But the victims of crime still deserve some sense of justice.

Prison shouldn't be a cake walk, nor should it be a place where you walk out harder and more dangerous than when you walked in.

But I guess anything is better than the US where well over 2 million people are incarcerated.

This is the consistent argument for the support of harsher penalties in prison. However the point that is omitted is that by doing this all we are doing is making sure that an individual is more than likely not able to function in society and general and as such will create another victim. That is the responsibility that a victim has on themselves because it is not as simple as punishing them and the slate is wiped clean, its not that clear cut. By punishing people harder we are more likely to create additional victims.

Our society nurtures crime by backing people into corners. Not taking care of people so they do desperate things and no amount of deterrence will put them off it. Remember that survival mechanism we were talking about? When people's situations become more dire people's choices become simpler. We need to break that circle but changing how we treat prisoners in making them feel that they have dignity and pride and they can change themselves for the better. We also need to change our preconceptions about prisoners as well because being in goal for anything is an immediate social stigma in many negative ways. It's pretty obvious that treating them terribly is not helping us in any way shape or form. We need to do more. Now let me also state I am not a criminal sympathizer but I want a safe and stable society and that does not come from jamming people into prison there is so much more to justice.

Now there are cases of people who cannot or will not rehabilitated and for them all we can do is keep them away from society for the duration of their lives. I accept there are exceptions to rules but our approach right now is downright criminal. We have 3 clear options: 1) Change our system and build people up in a flexible system 2) Jail anyone indefinitely 3) Kill everyone indiscriminately and both options 2 & 3 have been tried... and failed. So what option then do we have that we haven't tried?

Does anyone agree with the "3 strikes" rule in the u.s.a?

Not when it's applied to something as pointless and inane as possesing weed, no.

Does anyone agree with the "3 strikes" rule in the u.s.a?

/raises hand

Rion,

I'm not disagreeing with the approach of rehabilitation at all. I agree that trying to build them up and get them back on the right path is better on the whole than futher alienating them from society.

However, in this quest for prisoners rights and rehibilitation, let it not be forgotten that they're are there for a reason. Not every crime is committed out of desperation. Not every criminal born out of some greater class struggle. There are a vast number of crimes committed for a vast number of reasons.

Rion,

I'm not disagreeing with the approach of rehabilitation at all. I agree that trying to build them up and get them back on the right path is better on the whole than futher alienating them from society.

However, in this quest for prisoners rights and rehibilitation, let it not be forgotten that they're are there for a reason. Not every crime is committed out of desperation. Not every criminal born out of some greater class struggle. There are a vast number of crimes committed for a vast number of reasons.

I agree there needs to be more flexibility in sentancing because there are always those who cannot be rehabilitated. However we still end up making generalisations and the generalisation that most people in prison are there because they did something awful. That really isn't true for Australia and as a result we have all the potential to make these people worse. Furthermore this isn't about class struggle but basic subsistency of life in this society. It is expensive to exist comfortably and people will be more likely to take shortcuts in order to acheive or maintain that. We head off a lot of behaviour with welfare payments stopping people form becoming desperate but we can do much more. It is preventative maintenance.

You don't see many well educated people with jobs robbing ladies at knifepoint. You do of course find these sorts of people involved in fruad but in these instances the punishment should fit the crime. Do we actually gain anything by sending this person to jail and hindering their development for 5-10 years and then expect them to function as they did before without comitting fraud? Hell they are more likely to commit fraud now.

I agree that people need punishment to realise they have done something wrong and actions have consequences but I don't think we are sending the right message here. It has gotten confused. It isn't now that illegal actions have consequence but illgeal actions have jailtime. We need to demonstrate consequence better than sitting people in a prison cell. Those should be reserved for people who need to be seperated from society because they are a real threat to themselves and others.