Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MrFriendly

Prison life

So while I'm lodging at my sisters place while my apartment gets fixed, I've been watching the CI channel on Fox, most shows of which are about US gaols. I've only just finished season 4 of Oz recently.

I have to say, I don't know if I'm impressed or disturbed that Oz is such an accurate representation of life inside a US prison.

It leads me to think, could I ever hope to survive time in a prison like that? Would I roll over and let myself get fucked on? Would I find a monster within and play the game to survive? would I use every resource I have to be a shadow and avoid the game all together? Or, and this is a more honest and likely scenario, would I use drugs to escape and self destruct, and try to destroy anything else around me?

I know Australian prisons aren't quite as bad as US prisons.

But still, what awful truths would you learn about yourself in gaol?

It comes back to this idea I think about quite a lot. How much can you really know about yourself until you've been pushed as far as you can. How much can you really know about yourself until you truly hit rock bottom. Or are there just some things about our own selves we'd rather not know or have to find out about?

Maybe, just maybe, in all the personal chaos, despair, and upheaval, the things you learn are positive. Maybe you get a true glimpse of the human spirit from both extremes. Maybe you come to terms with the truth of why you're there.

Or, maybe, you'll walk out of gaol a harder and more dangerous person than when you walked in.

Come to think of it, it'd prolly do me some good.

...Aside from the completely shit experience, lack of freedom and criminal record...

There is a difference in a trial of adversity and just plain and simple adversity. When taken as a trial it is in the context of trying to rise above it it can be a positive thing. For example an instructor puts a trainee through hell to build their self confidence and independence. When just confronted with adversity there are several reactions and most of them negative. A good example of this is prison. Prisons aren't designed to give trials of adversity they just give adversity, they don't exist to build people up. They exist to punish people and then it is the theory that they become better people for it and learn their lessons but for most prisoners this just isn't the case. When confronted with plain adversity, torment by prisoners and neglect by overseers one generally has a few survival mechanisms; become stealthier, become more violent or possibly lose many aspects of their humanity. Cynically speaking this adversity does give positive traits in a tainted mirror, it gives them the ability to survive in a hostile environment but at what cost? Recidivism for any nation is high and prisoners become victims of the 'system' because now they cannot function properly in a society that is actually alien to them now.

It is the perfect example of humanity adapting to its environment, we keep saying that prison is so horrible why would people go back? because it's all they know and that bring a strange sense of familiarity. We are very eager to knock people down and say its for their own good but very reluctant to build them back up saying that that is their responsibility. We keep asking ourselves why isn't our system deterring people because all we are doing is taking the worst of us, putting them in a system with no hope and plenty of terrible influences, making them worse as a result while blindly expecting them to come out all better. That is sick.

We are all capable of doing terrible things in order to survive as the will to survive will over-ride anything else we have. It's like the Joker said 'we are only as good as our world allows us to be' and prison doesn't have much room for goodness in it. Now I'm not saying its impossible to consciously fight against this but it isn't something you do without some training, harsh experience and the right mentality. I acknowledge that there are dark motivations in my mind that I never let surface but if you can think it, there is always the possibility of doing it and I'd like to think I'd do anything else before succumbing to it but in an environment like prison I'd never know until I had to face it.

Bu also remember there are exceptions to any rules.

We keep asking ourselves why isn't our system deterring people because all we are doing is taking the worst of us, putting them in a system with no hope and plenty of terrible influences and making them worse while blindly expecting them to come out all better. That is sick.

Word.

i'm into the idea of the whole adversity thing. i fantasise about being dropped in the middle of the Sahara or forced to participate in the Iditarod, or some shit,

but prison? fuck that.

I spent 10 days in a military prison.

I would take a guess that it is a lot easier than real gaol.

Didn't need to worry about getting shanked or butt fucked!

I acknowledge that there are dark motivations in my mind that I never let surface but if you can think it, there is always the possibility of doing it and I'd like to think I'd do anything else before succumbing to it but in an environment like prison I'd never know until I had to face it.

I think it's that dark side that I'm terrified of coming out in me.

So many of us walk around believing we're good people uncapable of doing any harm. I think the real truth of that is we're all capable of being monsters.

These days, I'd be someone's lunchmeat - lucky to make it through two days alive.

If you have a handy time machine, and use my pre-illness self for this hypothetical... Yeah, "finding a monster within" wouldn't take more than a few minutes. I was an asshole. Violence was a primary response to most situations. :(

My mates, two of them, have actually been to Juvenile Detention, one of served a month and I think the other has been in and out but based on vandalism (graffiti *dickheads*), drug charges, resisting arrest etc. One of them was VERY close to being sent to Prison with the Adults, lucky he didn't though.

I haven't seen one of them for ages although I have seen him around the place a bit of late, haven't spoken to him though. My other friend I am trying to catch up with though, he's funny as all hell though, graffiti actually started out as a joke for him, he went around slashing all of these big name graffitist's works, and was close to getting hammered by a few of them. It was pretty funny because he had no idea what he was doing, then he actually started getting into it, and I was just thinking you dickhead. Otherwise, aside from all the graffiti shit he does he's funny as. On leavers he was running amock. One night he came up to me asking if I have seen this guy about I said no why, he says

"Well there this chick passed out and he pours beer on her face and she's unconscious and I'm just like, you dumb fuck, leave her alone you dickhead, the dick takes a swing at me and smacks me in the jaw and knocked one my teeth and I just said thats it picked up a bottle, and bottled the prick, then he just buggered off somewhere, now im trying to find that dickhead".

After he told me this, someone from his house came out and said, "Hey man he came back inside", and my friend says "Serious! ima gonna smack that c*** to the floor" and runs back to his house to get the guy.

Surprisingly he said that Juvenile Detention is really screwed up but he was pretty dodgey so he fitted in.

I guess it is made worse by the fact that many people believe prison is supposed to be about punishment rather than rehabilitation.

I guess it is made worse by the fact that many people believe prison is supposed to be about punishment rather than rehabilitation.

damned straight!

I think there should really be two prison systems: one for people who can be rehabilitated, and the other where we stick people who will never be anything but animals.

As much as I would like to believe in a fluffy pink world where anyone can be remade into a nice person, it just isn't true. I've spent a lot longer than was wise with the "unfixable" kind - some people are just plain evil fucks. When you come across one of those, the only viable solution is either put them where they can't hurt anyone, or kill them.

I would be the female version of Ryan O'Reilly. ;) Manipulation is the key.

It would be different in a female prison of course, but i still have no wish to become big Bertha's bitch.