Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
xnatex

Homophobia in gaming - and bigotry in homosexuals

Calling someone an anything-phobe is describing an irrational fear of something, so calling someone a homophobe is describing an irrational fear of homosexuals. Sensationalism at its most ridiculous, even if i was anti-homosexual, ive lived in Afghanistan, why would I have an irrational fear of 2 same sex ppl hooking up? someone may consider it gross but they are allowed to feel so, and express it in a non violent way just as you are legally allowed to protest anything and believe in anything in Australia.

When someone clearly states they use the "gay" or "Fag" word in a completely different context to what you interpret the word to mean, how about stop being a bigot and objecting to their use of their langauge, the language they are allowed speak in a democracy and in Australia.

People need to look at their own intolerance before they can preach to people to change their views.

Im also pro gay marriage, i believe everyone in Australia should have the same rights as everyone else. The preached bigotry and intolerance thats wrote in articles like this makes me think of this;

top points if you can find the metaphor

I'm the bigot? Well, that's fascinating.

Thanks for the insight :)

Hmmm The metaphor : Your an harmfulness of pejorative language denier , just like there are Holocaust deniers.

You should try that tired old free speech angle on a less enlightened audience, its not going to get you far around here, maby you should canvas some Sara Palin supporters, I am sure your movement will gain some traction there.

vv

It applies to people on both sides of the argument.

No one should enforce their beliefs and opinions on anyone, ive spent a good portion of my young life in non democratic countries and we should be happy with what we have here, people are aloud to say what they want. Especially when people tell you that their use of a word is completely different to your interpretation.

Great job with the mag btw Dave - long time subscriber first time poster :)

Waltish - if you dont think we have free speech, im clearly talking to a hypersensitive audience

Edited by xnatex

Next he will be telling us the Post WWII Nuremberg trials were the persecution of a religious minority.

It applies to people on both sides of the argument.

No one should enforce their beliefs and opinions on anyone, ive spent a good portion of my young life in non democratic countries and we should be happy with what we have here, people are aloud to say what they want. Especially when people tell you that their use of a word is completely different to your interpretation.

Great job with the mag btw Dave - long time subscriber first time poster :)

Hero - if you dont think we have free speech, im clearly talking to a hypersensitive audience

In the land of semantics you could argue your proposition, In the real world It has no legs upon which to stand.

Hero - if you dont think we have free speech, im clearly talking to a hypersensitive audience

Peoples names are just above the 'Hero' or 'Atomican' tags bro, Hero is just a rank given to certain contributing members, its not his actual name.

Also, welcome to Atomic, even if your first topic here is intending to stir up shit :)

Next he will be telling us the Post WWII Nuremberg trials were the persecution of a religious minority.

I have Nazi-phobia

ive spent a good portion of my young life in non democratic countries and we should be happy with what we have here, people are aloud to say what they want. Especially when people tell you that their use of a word is completely different to your interpretation.

I don't think other countries and their situations enter into it. Why shouldn't we try to improve our country irrespective of what anyone else is doing?

If people intend their use to mean something other than that of the word they speak, they should say what they actually mean for clarity's sake. "You're shitty at this game" instead of "You're gay", for example.

Also, welcome to the forum!

I have Nazi-phobia

Nice try, I am not biting today, Just realise that your moves are old, and have all been made before.

I am going to RTM this thread on the grounds that it is a trolling thread that does not raise any valid concerns, and serves merely to push an antisocial agenda.

That in the guise of defending free speech, and by way of semantics, it is in fact trying to legitimise the marginalisation/demeaning of Homosexuals.

vv

TheFunnj - Its by no means improving a government by telling people what they can and cannot say

Waltish - So i have to accept your opinion as my own or be called a troll ? Thanks for legitimising my argument - even tho it didnt need to be

p.s. what does RTM mean? lol

Edited by xnatex

I think you are getting 'american free speech' and what we have here as free speech confused.

Look up the definitions of 'gay' and 'fag' and see if you can work out which meaning would be the one getting used as an insult.

I would say it's not open to anyone's interpretation as to what is actually being meant when these words are being used as an insult.

Edited by PointZeroOne

I have Nazi-phobia

Nice try, I am not biting today, Just realise that your moves are old, and have all been made before.

I am going to RTM this thread on the grounds that it is a trolling thread that does not raise any valid concerns, and serves merely to push an antisocial agenda.

That in the guise of defending free speech, and by way of semantics, it is in fact trying to legitimise the marginalisation/demeaning of Homosexuals.

vv

So i have to accept your opinion as my own or be called a troll ? Thanks for legitimising my argument

No you don't have to accept my opinion at all.

There is nothing at all that can legitimise your argument.

You are the one that is not open to taking things in, If you read the article with an open mind you would have had to acknowledge the level of real harm caused by the use of the pejorative language you are making an abstract defence for.

Are we free to cause grievous bodily harm to persons in the name of freedom of expression, no we are not, why then should we be free to cause grievous emotional harm in the name of free speech.

Rend to its base level , your position is that you resent not being free from criticism for speaking in which ever manner you feel you want to, and the parties offended will just have to HTFU, cause you know, their right to feel free and good about them selves takes second place to your "supposed" right to say what ever the fuck you want.

It not all about you, you know, Life death the Universe and everything.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ten point for getting the bolded reference.

Edited by Waltish

What a slutty, cuntish, faggot inspired piece, nigger.

That works because I think all of those things are good. I'd get in a lot of trouble if I used them as pejoratives, tho'.

Also, welcome to Atomic :)

+1!

When I was a kid "gay" meant having a fun time, and "fag" was a cigarette. I want our words back damn it :P

When I was a kid "gay" meant having a fun time, and "fag" was a cigarette. I want our words back damn it :P

haha, remember the fag lollies?

haha, remember the fag lollies?

Yea I sure do, but they are still around but called fads these days. And 'Big Boss Cigars" I loved those things. :)

Quoted for truth, the origin of these names are harmless, now all of a sudden they are offensive and bleeding hearts like waltish reckons they "cause grievous emotional harm".

I would take offensive to being called a Homophobic, as a red blooded male i would find it an insult to my fearless manhood. Why 2 sets of rules? what happened to equality?

Edited by xnatex

Quoted for truth, the origin of these names are harmless, now all of a sudden they are offensive and bleeding hearts like waltish reckons they "cause grievous emotional harm".

Words meanings change with time.

If you use the word as an insult then yes it is offensive.

What happened to sticks and stones will break my bones and names will never hurt me?

You must be new to the internet.

I would take offensive to being called a Homophobic, as a red blooded male i would find it an insult to my fearless manhood. Why 2 sets of rules? what happened to equality?

Posted Image

PS: Hello and welcome to the Atomic Forums xnatex.

{:-)

If you use the word as an insult then yes it is offensive.

I agree, but if its not and we all know lots of ppl that dont use it offensively, then its not. Lots of people can say cleaning the house is gay. That has nothing to do with homosexuals, its a slang for a dislike of a task. If a word changes meaning in the past, why cant it change its meaning again? is it limited to 1 change per generation?

This whole thing is twisting peoples words against them under the guise of being personally offended, even tho the said use of the word has nothing to do with the person it offended. Does anyone find that strange? its very hard-line left wing

Edited by xnatex

I have Nazi-phobia

This community just keeps getting better and better.