xnatex

Homophobia in gaming - and bigotry in homosexuals

my mrs calls me a fag when i dont finish my dinner, she also says doing the dishes is gay. Is she a homophobic using a word with only 1 definition?

"I'm on a horse." - irrelevant, because im on a boat.

no but the birth of these words as insults came out of homophobia.

Also the dishes being gay is different to you being a fag.

I'd also say that gay dishes are queer dishes, as in strange?

Because the other meanings of the word don't fit in, if she is meaning that she doesn't like doing the dishes.

Yeah and these words have since turned into a slang and lost their meaning just like their original meanings turned into insults. unlike the politically correct insults kicking around like homophobia and racism. Which unjustly label most people as haters, and no one likes haters

Just because you say that doesn't make it true Sir.

Real world scenario - Christian groups opposes gay marriage because its against their religion and what they believe marriage should be, is it justified to label them all homophobic like they are currently doing over all avenues of media ?

Organised religion is practically the definition of irrationality.

These people are phobic of a lot of things, homosexuals being just one.

lol good answer, both parties in that situation are fighting bigotry with bigotry

I dont discriminate on the basis of sexual preference so in my world they have lost their meanings.

You might be the centre of your universe, but I can tell you that the actual centre of the Universe is a long way away from you.

Also your world seriously needs to find a way to mesh with the Real World, if it don't, you will find that as you get older "your world" will be come an increasingly lonely and sad little place.

Lol why is that? because i believe no one has the right to call people names to insult them whether it be calling people fags or calling people homophobic? the world i live in is one of equality, what world do you live in?

changing your tune now , you stated off defending your and others right to use pejorative terms , on the basis that you reckon they have lost their meaning, and feel the use of pejorative terms is a trivial first world problem, now you are claiming to live in a personal world of equality.

I call shenanigans ..... Ciao dude, to me your work is lame and lacks credibility.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit added " feel the use of pejorative terms is a trivial first world problem,"

Edited by Waltish

lol good answer, both parties in that situation are fighting bigotry with bigotry

I don't think bigotry means what you think it means.

You're making an argument, petitio principii, that "homophobe" is an insult. You haven't explained why you think that.

I have said why but il say it again, using myself as an example.

as i'm a fearless red blooded male its insulting to my pride and manhood to be told im scared of a group of people with a different sexual preference, its ridiculous.

Or am i not aloud to get insulted? it does seem like being insulted is only an available emotion to use if you are a minority.

Gharphield - just because you say otherwise doesnt mean its true either, we are all entitled to our own opinion, this is what makes Australia great.

Waltish - I never defended using the words to cause insult to people, i defended using the word if you are using it in a non offensive context. you are just trying to twist words

Edited by xnatex

No I'm not. Great stupid generalization which is just as stupid as a phobia against gay people.

I'm not generalising at all.

If I was generalising, I'd have simply said religious people. But I know that's not the case. I'm talking about The Church, not your church, with a little c.

you lumped all the people of all the organized religions of the world together which makes your statement a generalization whether you like it or not

Organised religions, the ones with lobby groups and billions in the coffers, have made their positions quite clear.

If you disagree with such a fundamental part of their dogma, you're not really part of that machine, prepare for excommunication, etc.

But let's not get off topic.

Your last comment shows you have no idea about the relationship between people in an organized religion and the organization itself. Though your ignorance is not surprising.

Lets not thread-shit this with a war about religion.

Start a new thread, On the Topic of the Irrationality or not of Organised Religion.

We are at the interesting part, where he twists and turns and tries to reposition his argument to gain some traction and garner support.

I don't think bigotry means what you think it means.

You're making an argument, petitio principii, that "homophobe" is an insult. You haven't explained why you think that.

I have said why but il say it again, using myself as an example.

as i'm a fearless red blooded male its insulting to my pride and manhood to be told im scared of a group of people with a different sexual preference, its ridiculous.

Or am i not aloud to get insulted? it does seem like being insulted is only an available emotion to use if you are a minority.

Gharphield - just because you say otherwise doesnt mean its true either, we are all entitled to our own opinion, this is what makes Australia great.

Waltish - I never defended using the words to cause insult to people, i defended using the word if you are using it in a non offensive context. you are just trying to twist words

And you have had it endlessly explained to you that there isn't a non offensive context for using other peoples identifier as a pejorative term.

Homophobe is not a personal identifier of your race or sexual orientation, so your comparison fails the level playing field scenario.

Sure you can take it as an insult and rightly so but In no way is it the same as having your race or sexual orientation used as a derogatory remark.

Keep trying guy, but let me say, that for a fearless red blooded guy you sure are labouring a point, a point that I feel most real red blooded guys, would not feel the need to make such a song and dance about.

stuff

So am I imagining stuff? Does the ACL not really hate the gays for no reason other than "scripture said so"?

Phew. That would have sucked if it was real.

Though your ignorance is not surprising.

"You're ignorant" - Atomic's "I Win" button.

Bonus points for making it as arrogant and condescending as possible.

I'll leave it there, you know where the PM button is.

Edited by SquallStrife

Homophobe is not a personal identifier of your race or sexual orientation, so your comparison fails the level playing field scenario.

Sure you can take it as an insult and rightly so but In no way is it the same as having your race or sexual orientation used as a derogatory remark.

Keep trying guy, but let me say, that for a fearless red blooded guy you sure are labouring a point, a point that I feel most real red blooded guys, would not feel the need to make such a song and dance about.

So an insult has to be a personal identifier of race or sexual orientation to be offensive? lol ok

You are right about sexual orientation remarks not being on the same playing field as someones pride and character, sexual orientation rates much much lower on the scale of things that matter in life.

Waltish, you do seem determined to prove im a troll or keyboard warrior and implying i dont care for equality. that green ribbon medal im wearing is the Australian Humanitarian award, i got that for spending months in centre australia building houses for Abo's (abo being short for aboriginal), providing disaster relief to tsunami and earthquake victims abroad. The other ones I got are for doing tours of Iraq and Afganistan, where horrific things other then name calling are actually done to homosexuals, im well within my right to call this discussion a first world problem.

Posted Image

Edited by xnatex

Let it go ... You made your point , you got your responses.

Man up to the fact that some folks don't understand the meaning of the word Homophobic, just like some folks don't get how hurtful and unnecessary it is to use other peoples identifier as a derogatory expression.

PS: Just out of curiosity what army units were you in.

Edited by Waltish

Well this thread has turned on to a road often trod but never ending, I am sure it will end as badly as other previous threads on this subject have done in the past.

I like this little clip.

Man up to the fact that some folks don't understand the meaning of the word Homophobic, just like some folks don't get how hurtful and unnecessary it is to use other peoples identifier as a derogatory expression.

lol you cant call me a hypocrite then tell me to let it go. Im all for letting bygones be bygones and my only purpose of this thread was to bring attention to the words homophobic and homophobia.

I did 6 years in various signal units around sydney then did 3 years in the special forces where i got incredibly injured and left for a normal job. Lucky me my new jobs internet proxy doesnt block the atomic website :)

lol you cant call me a hypocrite then tell me to let it go. Im all for letting bygones be bygones and my only purpose of this thread was to bring attention to the words homophobic and homophobia.

I did 6 years in various signal units around sydney then did 3 years in the special forces where i got incredibly injured and left for a normal job. Lucky me my new jobs internet proxy doesnt block the atomic website :)

Which units.

I can tell you that In the 70's I served in B Coy 8/9th Battalion RAR , its OK to tell us your units.

lol ok, i did

145 sig sqn

130 sig sqn

110 sig sqn

4 RAR

1 CDO

Edited by xnatex

Cool , Tis a big jump going from RAR to CDO not every one that tries makes it.

Good on yah xnatex.

Sorry to hear you got seriously injured, most civvies don't get what motivates Army Volunteers, they cant grasp that some things are bigger than ourselves and worth putting ones self out there for.

Cheers man {:-)

I'm off to bed its my witching hour and I must gonk.

Thats the thing. Being mentally retarded is sub optimal. Calling someone a retard is saying that they display the characteristics of someone who is mentally retarded. Its the same as calling someone an idiot. Its just we tend to cut the mentally retarded a break on that out of sympathy.

There is nothing sub optimal about being homosexual, as much as there is nothing sub optimal about being left handed. They are both as capable as non homo and right handed folk, without any kind of "handicapable" sympathies we extend.

So while I agree with the crux of the point you're making in this post, it doesn't hold up when you realise that being retarded is actually a deficiency.

I was trying to draw the line between a label and a label being used as an insult, but touche.

"Will nobody think of the homophobes? Haven't they suffered enough?!"

Im gonna take Waltish advise and leave the debate on this thread now, I probably sould have worded my points better and gone off topic less.

To summarise, its just disheartening when you dedicate your life to helping others and protecting our freedom and way of life, just to be labelled as an irrational hater by any of the modern day politically correct insults like racist and homophobic.

Especially when its thrown at you so freely and easily for using a word out of context with no intention to insult. If you want to understand what real hate is like, just visit any hard line Islamic country and try to tell them about tolerance, not many of them have tourist area's so make sure you bring a gun.

Its been real guys, now its time for star wars :)

Edited by xnatex

From reaing most of the posts, I can see where the OP is trying to come from, but I disagree.

If you call cleaning the house gay (meaning not good) you are actually using a term originally coined as meaning happy, and more recently to mean homosexual to describe something in negative light, this shows homophobic tendencies.

You support marriage equality and gay rights? Good on you, it doesn't excuse you and your partner calling eachother fag for not eating your sprouts.

Yes, these words don't have the same weight of negativity in your eyes as they do with most others, it doesn't make it right for you to go around calling everything bad gay, faggy, poofterised or whatever you want to call them, it just shows lack of imagination.

I have caught myself using gay as a pejorative more recently than I like to admit, and it makes me feel like a terrible human being, and for the record, spelling it "ghey" doesn't make the word any less offensive to everyone.

You don't have to be homosexual or bisexual to be offended by someone using gay or fag as a pejorative, and it saddens me to think of all these teenagers that think it is ok when it comes time for them to get jobs, and they tell their manager that they "Want a job where the work isn't gay and the other people there aren't a big bunch of fags who do gay shit at work". Because, the way standards of speech amongst young people are going, this may well end up happening.

Some like to use the sentence; "I have loads of gay friends" as their defence at being called a homophobe or bigot, it isn't that you are enlightened and gay-frienly, it is just that your gay friends haven't picked up that you are a bigot yet, and when they do, look forward to being shunned by them all.

Edited by lunchbox1988

stuff

So am I imagining stuff? Does the ACL not really hate the gays for no reason other than "scripture said so"?

Phew. That would have sucked if it was real.

Did I say you were imagining stuff? Can you point out where? I'm not saying you are imagining stuff, unless you count you think I think you're imagining stuff! Since you can't quote me correctly, let me help you - I stated that you made a silly generalisation, lumping all people off all religions into one bucket and applying one trait to them. You have provided no facts to back you up, nothing. The fact that there are many organized religions with various views on a wide range of topics including the rights, etc of homosexuals, is something you simply ignore.

Though your ignorance is not surprising.

"You're ignorant" - Atomic's "I Win" button.

Bonus points for making it as arrogant and condescending as possible.

I'll leave it there, you know where the PM button is.

No I don't believe in 'I win', but I do believe in the first part of the statement because of what I've posted in this and the other replies - I stated that you made a silly generalisation, lumping all people off all religions into one bucket and applying one trait to them. You have provided no facts to back you up, nothing. The fact that there are many organized religions with various views on a wide range of topics including the rights, etc of homosexuals, is something you simply ignore.

And thanks, yes I do know where the PM button is.

If you are willing to challenge your own PoV - Organised religion is practically the definition of irrationality. These people are phobic of a lot of things, homosexuals being just one., you may want to have a look at wiki :

The relationship between religion and homosexuality can vary greatly across time and place, within and between different religions and sects, and regarding different forms of homosexuality and bisexuality. Present day doctrines of the world's major religions vary vastly generally and by denomination on attitudes toward these sexual orientations.

Edited by Mac Dude

Im gonna take Waltish advise and leave the debate on this thread now, I probably could have worded my points better and gone off topic less.

To summarise, its just disheartening when you dedicate your life to helping others and protecting our freedom and way of life, just to be labelled as an irrational hater by any of the modern day politically correct insults like racist and homophobic.

Especially when its thrown at you so freely and easily for using a word out of context with no intention to insult. If you want to understand what real hate is like, just visit any hard line Islamic country and try to tell them about tolerance, not many of them have tourist area's so make sure you bring a gun.

Here's the thing Sir, you're obviously taking this the wrong way, you're 100% guilty of the same thing that you're accusing Hawkeye of ... ironic isn't it? But just so we're clear, doing 1 thing doesn't absolve you from doing another thing, whatever that 'thing' is. I assume that your job role has been in the ADF yes? Can you enlighten us to where you've served, etc? We both might have a mutual friend or something.

Welcome xnatex looks like your fitting in here just fine.

I dunno I think he's ok, I'm interested in discussing topics like this and he's keeping a level head, the best thing we can do is also keep a level head and discuss this intelligently.

you're 100% guilty of the same thing that you're accusing Hawkeye of ... ironic isn't it? But just so we're clear, doing 1 thing doesn't absolve you from doing another thing, whatever that 'thing' is.

I assume that your job role has been in the ADF yes? Can you enlighten us to where you've served, etc? We both might have a mutual friend or something.

I completly agree

lol ok, i did

145 sig sqn

130 sig sqn

110 sig sqn

4 RAR

1 CDO

:)

Im gonna take Waltish advise and leave the debate on this thread now, I probably could have worded my points better and gone off topic less.

Good Man ,towards the end, I got the feeling your words were not quite being taken as you intended , yeah by my too at first.

That being labelled stuff happens, Its not new, and yes it can grind.

It happened with the women's movement I can remember Male Chauvinist Pig being thrown around like confetti at a wedding.

It happened when Aboriginals started to Push for a better lot in life , you couldn't turn around without being called a Racist.

ETC.ETC.

When People that are marginalised by society , try to make themselves be heard and to change their lot in Life, They push back at the things they see as keeping them down.

"They" aren't monolithic there are many different types of people within that group, so of course some tend to bandy labels about.

Although it can be disheartening to be wrongly pigeon holed by some over zealous individuals, Its part of the process of the disenfranchised/marginalised changing their lot, if they made no effort to get their message through nothing would change for them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I get that you were trying put things in scale re perceived harm and real harm.

The rate of suicide amongst Gay Teens is quite frankly alarming, so we my not be killing them directly but they are dying none the less.

With that in mind its easy to see why a lot of emphasis, is put on some things, like language and trying to winkle out the stuff that hurts.

--------------------------------------------

I am just trying to put some stuff out there for both sides to consider.

See ya round the forum xnatex .