xnatex

Homophobia in gaming - and bigotry in homosexuals

I dislike the word homophobe, it gets misused I believe,

Not a fan of watch guys play with their johnsons? - homophobe

Not comfortable next to a pair of dudes making out? - homophobe

Using the word gay all the time? - homophobe.

While I'm well aware that misuse of gay and fag are offensive, there's no justification, I'm not really making the connection that a shift in vocabulary is homophobic.

However!!! Some of the shit I see in games more tha backs up hawkeyes feelings on the matter, I dare anyone here to login to bf3 or any other game with large numbers of people, then tell them you're gay, the torrent of abuse would rival just about anything, it's pathetic.

I'm guilty of using those words out of context, it's involuntary sometimes, and I certainly dont have any problems with gays, infact I've worked with a few gay guys and tbh they were great and I had no uncomfortable moments at all.

Tl:dr

I agree with that article written by David, but at the same time I dont think the same brush should be applied to everyone whose said gay or fag out of context.

Just a couple of things I want to point out, you know, as the author and all.

First up, I go to great lengths in the article to actually not lump anyone under a banner of 'homophobe'. In fact, allow me to quote:

It’s important to say here, though, that I’m not equating the casual slurs of the ‘that’s so gay’ crowd to bullying. It’s actually summed up best by the Manager of the football team we mentioned at the start of this article, referring to the sacked player. "On this occasion Lee's had to pay for his error of judgment. He's made a homophobic comment, [but] that doesn't necessarily mean he's homophobic."

I'm not calling anyone names, so I'm not sure why, xnatex, you feel there's any fault to find.

As to the assertion that this is a light, first world problem, I take a larger view. You yourself brought up the matter of African attitudes to homosexuality, and I agree - they're a damn sight worse! But the matter closer to hand is a 'thin end of the wedge' problem. If we let the little things slide, then it opens the door for larger injustices.

No, but you are using your editorial position to push a personal agenda. I think that might be inappropriate.

Yup, sure am. I don't believe in objective journalism - I've got a platform and I'm not afraid to use it :)

As to the assertion that this is a light, first world problem, I take a larger view. You yourself brought up the matter of African attitudes to homosexuality, and I agree - they're a damn sight worse! But the matter closer to hand is a 'thin end of the wedge' problem. If we let the little things slide, then it opens the door for larger injustices.

I agree. I think Magda Szubanski summed it up quite well on her recent appearance on The Project; to paraphrase, people are still killing themselves over this issue. Kids are still killing themselves over this issue. So no, it's not ok, not yet.

edit: clarification.

Edited by elvenwhore

Dave I will have to admit my haste to judge, I work in kings cross and get called a homophobe when i dont take the pamphlets to support gay marriage every time i walk past even tho i do support it, seeing sexual orientation stuff having a main feature in my fav tech mag was enough to make me create an account and post this haha.

I do understand the issue better now, i feel better now that i vented too lol, sorry for being abrupt :)

Well now that you have an account, please don't let it go to waste.

I came at you pretty hard, you were an unknown quantity.

I think you are a staunch fellow.

Cheers xnatex

Dave I will have to admit my haste to judge, I work in kings cross and get called a homophobe when i dont take the pamphlets to support gay marriage every time i walk past even tho i do support it, seeing sexual orientation stuff having a main feature in my fav tech mag was enough to make me create an account and post this haha.

I do understand the issue better now, i feel better now that i vented too lol, sorry for being abrupt :)

I think that's pretty standard tactics for people who hand out pamphlets, like the Greenpeace mob that told me I was killing the planet by not talking to them about the planet. Just try not to let fanatical people like that get to you :)

And stick around the forum - we've got plenty of stuff to read and comment on in the tech sections, and a Green Room for general threads like these.

He survived the gauntlet, he'll do well here!

Didn't realise we had an entrance exam. I wonder how many get put off?

I wasn't hazing as in haze the noobs , I don't go for that, first thread controversial issue, got my trolldar hyperactive, my bad.

No he kept his shit together and as the conversation went on I saw there was more to him and what he was saying.

Sorry to discuss you as If your not in the same room xnatex.

Just making clear it was not a Hazing in the classic sense.

Didn't realise we had an entrance exam. I wonder how many get put off?

You can shove your snide snipes threadshitter.

If you paid attention to anything other than your self you would have perceived what was really going on.

Let me try this again as I have quite rightly been advise I may have replied in an intemperate manner.

------------------------------------------------------------

So after nearly derailing this thread with a religious war , thank god that SquallStrife didn't bite back (good man thank you).

You feel quite entitled to making remarks about other peoples conduct in this thread, by latching onto a throwaway line by someone who did not actively participate in the discussion.

Well done, I only wish I had the sense of righteousness it takes to do that ..... No, seriously I actually I am glad I don't.

Edited by Waltish

I wasn't hazing as in haze the noobs , I don't go for that, first thread controversial issue, got my trolldar hyperactive, my bad.

No he kept his shit together and as the conversation went on I saw there was more to him and what he was saying.

Sorry to discuss you as If your not in the same room xnatex.

Just making clear it was not a Hazing in the classic sense.

I'm well aware of that, for the record, I read the whole thread as it developed, without interacting and from an outsiders perspective, it looked like a good old fashioned debate to me, nothing wrong with that.

A lot :/

I hope not.

I can't remember where, but in one of the recent threads *I think* one of the mods said that were were attracting new members but they weren't that active and we were leaking members.

Anyway...

A lot :/

I hope not.

I can't remember where, but in one of the recent threads *I think* one of the mods said that were were attracting new members but they weren't that active and we were leaking members.

Anyway...

Give it a rest.

Waltish, might want to rein it in a little there :)

Mac Dude, the numbers I see in the back-end suggest that we do not lack for new users, but something is most definitely keeping them from sticking around.

Waltish, might want to rein it in a little there :)

Mac Dude, the numbers I see in the back-end suggest that we do not lack for new users, but something is most definitely keeping them from sticking around.

I explained my actions , put my hand up to my bad, Its just tiresome to have a cleverclever camper, take insinuating pot shots from the sidelines.

But you are right, I will keep my shit together and sort this ***** out from within the guidelines.

No, but you are using your editorial position to push a personal agenda. I think that might be inappropriate.

Yup, sure am. I don't believe in objective journalism - I've got a platform and I'm not afraid to use it :)

More power to you, it's important to follow your beliefs. However, this means that I cannot believe a single thing you write or edit, due to your frank admission that you have no journalistic integrity, and indeed do not consider it important.

You are welcome to use atomic mag as your own personal soapbox, but it just means you'll turn it into a rag.

More power to you, it's important to follow your beliefs. However, this means that I cannot believe a single thing you write or edit, due to your frank admission that you have no journalistic integrity, and indeed do not consider it important.

There's this thing called grey, it sits between black and white, you might have seen it around.

I should be angry, but really I'm just in awe - absolute awe - of your ability to leap from one statement all the way to another. Sir, I take my hat off to you.

There's this thing called grey, it sits between black and white, you might have seen it around.

+1

I look at it as an editorial. It's an opinion piece and written as such. Not every piece written as a result of a hard benchmark, to 5 decimal places :)

...but something is most definitely keeping them from sticking around.

The same thing that has most everyone else up in arms. Forum traffic.

They come across a thread, create an account...and watch and wait for it to grow grass, because stuff doesn't move like it used to.

(Yes, I know I'm going around in circles here)

So then they just never come back.

I know I've done that in the past on other forums.

There was a gardening forum, I posted a thread....I watched and waited and checked on it thrice per day.

Nothing.

So I thought to myself, screw this place, I'm outta here!

Then almost two weeks later I get an email "your thread has a new comment"

Now I realise that's an extreme example, Atomic and the green room are much faster than this. However nowhere near as fast as it once was....but it's a poignant reminder that we are facing a similar situation. And you know what? we will never, ever be the same again.

And this is not Hawkeye, it's not Atomic, it's not the members, it's not the angry mobs scaring people away....the times are changing around us and there's nothing you or anyone can do to stop it. Other than embrace it and try to take advantage of it

Us complaining about traffic is akin to Borders complaining about slumping books sales.

See what happened to them?

I've tried making new threads to attract people, but my threads rarely even attract the attention of regulars.

I currently have a competition running in Gaming (it was actually a 'hey, hows this for an idea, monthly comps!' to gauge interest), but no one has bitten, I even have a pretty decent prize lined up too.

I honestly don't know how to get people to stay once their here.

Edited by NukeJockey

I honestly don't know how to get people to stay once their here.

the problem is how full on the place can be, every other forum I go to everyone is just more chilled, moderators are not even really needed cause everyone gets on, on atomic not everyone but quiet a few people are just way to serious, getting rid of them IMO would help the place 10x more than anything else.