xnatex

Homophobia in gaming - and bigotry in homosexuals

So, no, I won't enlighten you. I think it's actually physically impossible to do so

Do you know what I think? I think you've just realised you've talked yourself into a corner, and now wish to clam up and hide behind the wall of community that has sprung up in your defence, before you make yourself look even less fit for your position.

In response to the barrage of posts about how editorials are supposed to be opinion pieces, I have already responded to that, but I shall respond again, with more clarity:

I don't wish to pay David for his opinion. I'm happy to pay him for Danial Rutters opinion, because Dan isn't the one who works on, checks and vets the rest of the magazine, so I can be firmly sure that Dan's biases, whatever they might be, stay firmly within Dans column and nowhere else in the magazine. Magazines can be and with the exception of comic books often are factual sources, and atomic claims to be one. We do bench tests, we do hardware and software reviews, and we claim the results are impartial.

But now that I know Dave feels strongly on the topic of homosexuality, can I trust any review of a game that incorporates that topic? Lolno. I don't know which way it will be skewed, but David has made it abundantly clear it will be skewed.

His job, as an editor, is to be impartial. That's part of journalism, all journalism. There isn't some cavernous divide between news journalists, who much check their facts and rigorously stay neutral, and "other" journalists, who can just shit on a piece of paper and call it an article. A journalist is a journalist is a journalist, and a journalist who can't be objective is worthless.

If David lets his own opinions color the tone of the whole magazine and website, then he isn't an editor, he is a blogger that someone made the mistake of giving a printing press to.

stuff

Incredible ..... David was right about you twisting what he says around.

Its simple, don't trust the MAG, the website, the forum, or other things Atomic, don't consume any of it, no one is forcing you to.

If David lets his own opinions color the tone of the whole magazine and website, then he isn't an editor, he is a blogger that someone made the mistake of giving a printing press to.

God you're full of shit these days. What happened, man?

Good thing he doesn't, then. Because I certainly don't see that coming across in any other article on this website or in the magazine. Enjoying feeling self-righteous? You must do.

Well man, its your mag. However, I see an editor as exactly what you said above, a cipher for the raw facts. I don't want your opinion, I want your editing ability. I don't pay you for your world-shattering perspective on things.

Your job is to edit without bias.

How do you edit without bias if the editor is the one selecting and commissioning articles? They will be selecting work based on their ideas of what will and will not appeal to readers.

I'm some kind of pantomime villain.

I knew it!

PS He's behind you! D:

I'm fine with reading opinion, as long as it's clearly identifiable as opinion. I prefer when it's informed opinion. David's editorial on homophobia in gaming satisfies both criteria, so no concerns there.

I would be concerned though if I felt an Editor's lack of objectivity was colouring the rest of a publication's content so that it was biased, or unfactual. Particularly when that publication is largely about reviewing technology, where objectivity should be a goal, I would have thought (...?)

David's explanation does eventually provide the reassurance I expected and was looking for. It's...

However, you will always find those individual thoughts and opinions freely expressed, openly admitted to, and never taking prominence over the necessary facts.

I took that to mean that facts are considered to be very important, and personalities and opinions add colour. I agree that elevates the magazine above being as sterile as a product spec sheet. I agree Atomic has always added entertainment to objective reviews.

And so I also conclude that David's bald statement ''I don't believe in objective journalism'' was just an unfortunate understatement of his actual respect for the need for objectivity.

/end concern

Edited by Virtuoso

Do you know what I think? I think you've just realised you've talked yourself into a corner

Hahaha, oh dear...

But now that I know Dave feels strongly on the topic of homosexuality, can I trust any review of a game that incorporates that topic? Lolno. I don't know which way it will be skewed, but David has made it abundantly clear it will be skewed.

Here's an idea.

Maybe writing an editorial, and performing QC on others' work are SEPARATE AND UNRELATED PARTS OF THE ONE POSITION?

If David lets his own opinions color the tone of the whole magazine and website, then he isn't an editor

Right, sorry, I didn't realise that ONE EDITORIAL was "[colouring] the tone of the whole magazine and website".

You're making good on the promises of your avatar dude. :)

Ok i understand how some people can be offended by being called a fag , homo or gay online but did it really call for a 6 page write up in your magazine honestly what a waste of paper.

If your offended by someone calling you gay online mute them thats what it was invented for and problem solved instead of carrying on like a whining little school kid.

honestly you need to harden the f*ck up and not look into as much as you are there are more important things going on in the world

Ok i understand how some people can be offended by being called a fag , homo or gay online but did it really call for a 6 page write up in your magazine honestly what a waste of paper.

If your offended by someone calling you gay online mute them thats what it was invented for and problem solved instead of carrying on like a whining little school kid.

honestly you need to harden the f*ck up and not look into as much as you are there are more important things going on in the world

/sigh

My personal experience has always been that straight people complain more about gay or fag being misused.

I have had gay friends that call my other mates fags or raging gaybos.

Sure, I don't make a habit of calling people gays or fags but I do think some get too precious about language... especially when many have no problem with swearing or saying things like "Jesus Christ! or God Damn!", which some people do still find offensive.

Edited by sm1ddy

My personal experience has always been that straight people complain more about gay or fag being misused.

I have had gay friends that call my other mates fags or raging gaybos.

Sure, I don't make a habit of calling people gays or fags but I do think some get too precious about language... especially when many have no problem with swearing or saying things like "Jesus Christ! or God Damn!", which some people do still find offensive.

I think, like what the article suggests, is it comes down to intent.

One gay person calling another gay person fag, is much like me calling my brother knob faced wanker. He will look at me and smile, instead of having his feelings hurt. Because he is aware of the my intent, in saying it.

Oh, irony.

I think you don't understand, what understand means.

I think if some homeosexuals are offended by having the term 'gay' used as an insult, then the rest of us should respect their concerns and use other insults.

There are plenty of other insults we can use.

you would think so. I have to say that I now notice it more during online games than I did before. Awareness is part of the battle :) I now take pleasure in throwing it back in their face. On a positive note most people seem to get it once it's pointed out to them.

you would think so. I have to say that I now notice it more during online games than I did before. Awareness is part of the battle :) I now take pleasure in throwing it back in their face. On a positive note most people seem to get it once it's pointed out to them.

Yes but the ones that don't make me think perhaps there is some small merit to Eugenics.

Edited by ReapermanRS

Yes but the ones that don't make me think perhaps there is some small merit to Ebonics.

Yes but the ones that don't make me think perhaps there is some small merit to Ebonics.

I know what Ebonics is , but I don't know what point you are making Nich... I may be being a bit obtuse, but I can't see the tangent that connects Ebonics to what ReapermanRS said.

I wonder how many people who point that kind of thing out are actually getting the 'offender' to engage, let alone critically.

I wonder how many people who point that kind of thing out are actually getting the 'offender' to engage, let alone critically.

Got it... Thank you {:-)

In my limited experience with this in online gaming they tend to shut up pretty quickly. I guess it's because it's a hard argument to support.

Out of all the words that offend people, the only one that really gets under my skin is c**t, I really fucken hate that word. I have heard some people use it with such venom that I doubt their sanity.

In my limited experience with this in online gaming they tend to shut up pretty quickly. I guess it's because it's a hard argument to support.
Do you think it'll make them stop and think before saying it tomorrow, or it's just being chastised in the moment?

I'm surprised that, more often, the response of 'stop saying fag, it's offensive and wrong', isn't 'stfu fgt'. I don't think it's something they're arguing for, in as much as I think that involves too much investment.

Edited by Nich...

Do you think it'll make them stop and think before saying it tomorrow, or it's just being chastised in the moment?

I'm surprised that, more often, the response of 'stop saying fag, it's offensive and wrong', isn't 'stfu fgt'. I don't think it's something they're arguing for, in as much as I think that involves too much investment.

I think you're probably right. I just tend to question whether or not being called gay is actually an insult, so it's more along the lines of showing the falsehood in their statement not asking them to stop. Does it have an impact on the person making derogatory remarks? I'd say no, but you usually get agreement from other folks who are playing that calling someone gay is a pretty stupid attempt at an insult. It's more about making people who are willing to think about it aware of the issue. The hardcore cases will probably come around when they realise that their taunts aren't insulting but that they makes them look stupid.

I think if some homeosexuals are offended by having the term 'gay' used as an insult, then the rest of us should respect their concerns and use other insults.

I do not believe that "because it offends someone" is in and of itself a good reason to do or not do anything, quite independent of who is getting offended by what.

I do not believe that "because it offends someone" is in and of itself a good reason to do or not do anything, quite independent of who is getting offended by what.

If you absorbed anything from the Article that inspired this thread and or anything from some of the replying posts, you would have realised that, having a personal identifier being used as a derogatory term and or insult/cuss word, goes well beyond being merely offensive.

That in particular for Gay teens and young adults struggling with their place in the world, trying to come to terms with who they are, searching for acceptance and needing it .... well it goes well beyond being merely hurtful .. and well into the realm of being harmful at best, and at worst destructive.

Its not like folks are being asked to give up the only words that could be used, there are many many other words available.

vv